How does Elo work?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

bennerzzz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

04-03-2011

My bro gets +24 or +22 elo when he wins a game in rank. I only get around +16 or +14 elo.
I got stuck at the mastery's page one time so I was forced to que dodge, I lost about 13 or 15 elo.

Help plz....

bennerzzz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

04-03-2011

bump

DntEatYellwSnw

04-03-2011

i don't know, maybe on amount of games played...i knwo i only get 12 ish when i win, sometimes only 6. i lose 20 if I dodge...learned that the hard way....oh dear god <800 for way to long because of that lol

colloquial

Emissary of the League

04-03-2011

When you first start playing ranked you gain/lose more rating per game. This is so that you rise/fall to your "real" rating faster.

If you fight higher rated opponents you gain more rating and lose less, if you fight lower rated opponents you lose more rating and gain less.

Queue dodging a ranked game counts as a leave and a loss and you get a -20 rating penalty.

ShadyStories

04-03-2011

You start getting >+30 Elo when you first start then after a while, it becomes 2x then eventually 12.
After about 90~100 total games, you will start receiving+12 Elo if you solo queue.
If you duo queue with someone like HotshotGG and WIN, you will gain around +20 instead of +12 because you won against players much better than you.

However, if you play against people in the 200 Elo range, you will gain only about 8 Elo but LOSE 20 ish because you lost against people much worse than you.

bennerzzz

Recruiter

04-03-2011

Thx! But I got stuck I was forced to que.

Fastosus

04-03-2011

ELO is a statistical method of measuring skill. I'm not sure what method Riot uses, but the method used in chess is extremely complicated. It generally measures your ELO rating against someone elses, and then runs that difference through a formula and either adds or subtracts ELO points depending on whether you've won or lost or drawn (though I don't think draws are possible in LoL).

Generally, if you beat a person with higher ELO, you gain alot more ELO than if you beat someone with a similar or lower ELO.

Rebel Cardinal

04-03-2011

inb4 it doesn't

NickJ

04-03-2011

When you win a game, you get points, when you lose, you lose points. These points go down as you play more games. the penalty for dodging goes up to 20 after 50 games or so played in ranked.

Zarifes

04-03-2011

The system is flawed anyway