Verbally abusing your teammates won't win a match.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GlyphTsen

04-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykomyke View Post
they don't deserve to be treated fairly back.
Maybe not, but you could be secure in your superiority by being the better person. Truth is, most of the time, ignoring them will save you time typing that might kill you, and will generally prompt slightly less assery from them.

Quote:
And if someone is doing poorly I'm not going to coddle them. You don't get pats on the back for doing crappy in any other activity, so why should LoL be any different?
I don't think people are being "coddled" when told what they are doing wrong (whether it be playing too far forward, not being with the team when it matters, not ganking, or otherwise having issues) and how to fix it. "Dude, hug your tower" is not a pat on the back. "Play more passively. Stop being aggressive."

"Hurry up and gank this guy!" Is not coddling the player.

But it is more polite, and more productive than just: "OMFG U SUCK!" and it's various and often more extreme synonyms.

Something Snazzy

04-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyroie View Post
Half a screen from bottom tower is not tower hugging. Listen up dude. You need to hug your tower.

Yeah, it sucks when people ignore your pleas for help and just insult you. They're being stupid.

But you need to hug your tower if you're losing. Buy a philosopher's stone for high health regen, maybe buy a little defense if they're good at tower diving. Rank up any abilities you have which are great at quickly killing minions. Sit under your tower, and defend it. Do not let you or your tower die. Any champion can do it.
I get this, I agree and I have gotten better at hugging my tower.

But what about when you can't hug your tower? For example, if I'm a Vlad in a 2v1 top against a flat AD/arpen Cait and flat AP/mpen Mao and our jungler refuses to gank for another 4-6 minutes because he wants madreds and red first. And I can't do a thing because Vlad doesn't heal well until at least level 5.

(Yes, it doesn't happen often but this scenario has happened more than once to me).

Tyroie

04-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Something Snazzy View Post
I get this, I agree and I have gotten better at hugging my tower.

But what about when you can't hug your tower? For example...
Yeah, sometimes it does get that bad. Most junglers don't seem to understand that part of the risk of what they're doing is that top lane is outnumbered. They also often don't understand that it's 100% their job to not just gank, but also join you for a good while when you or your tower is in danger. They seem to forget that they will still level up just fine in a lane.

There are two things I do in this situation:

First, go back and refill my health. Then when I go back to my lane, I be very careful to take as little damage as possible, while hurting the minions any chance I get. No, sometimes that chance never comes. Priority #1 = Keep health very high, because if any teammates comes to help, I will be ready to fight. This may mean hanging out way behind the tower.

Secondly, type a series of messages to your team over the next few minutes. Let them know your tower is their responsibility - because it is. I find that it tends to get them to help very well. This is what I type:
1) Top tower may take heavy damage soon, need help
2) Top tower is getting wasted (ping map)
3) Top tower at 75%
4) Top tower at 50%

If nobody comes to help you and your tower falls, don't feel bad under any circumstance - your team failed you. If they tell you to fight, say, "100% chance I will die and kill nobody."

If you can sense that nobody will come to help and your tower is going to collapse, and you're so far away from minions that you're not gaining experience? Go help mid lane. Maybe you can get a gank there and destroy that tower, or at least resume gaining levels. It may be the most positive thing you can manage to do. If mid complains, ignore him - he is wrong.

Whether you need to tower hug, or even forfeit your tower, priority #1 = Staying alive, so that you're ready to fight when the opportunity appears. It's not your fault if your team doesn't give you that opportunity.

SwaggerJ

04-04-2011

People really just need to learn how to communicate. Yes, you may be in a pug, but there's nothing wrong with actually trying to coordinate.

So you're playing mid and one of your teammates gives up First Blood pretty quickly. What do you do? Most of the time, there's that one player on my team who just goes "OMG" or "nubzzzzzz" or something like that.

Sure it might be frustrating, but just saying "You suck" isn't going to help anything. If you're not going to help them out, then just stfu and keep playing. If, however, you truly want your team to play well, then offer some help, even if its just advice telling them to "Stay away from the bush and behind minions so blitzcrank can't grab you".

I don't claim to be the best player, but I will at least check out our team comp before the match starts and point out a bad lane combo. If it really just looks like it could be trouble, I'll ask for someone to switch to a more effective pair.

Little things like calling where the mia is going can really help to boost team morale. Something like: "WW going mid" and ping his path so that mid knows he's coming for them. 2 seconds later when they see WW pop out of that bush, they'll be glad that you called it, and who knows, they may do the same thing later in the match.

Saint Athena

04-04-2011

talking about tower hugging you know what gets on my nerves...when your playing a support character who can't solo for ****...your lane mate is off doing something else totally unnecessary...you ask for help & nothing...you loose the turret & possibly a life...I mean like characters like..soraka or sona..eve early game..stuff like that...characters like that can be literally on top of the turret & it's still over. just sayin..

Rumuwi

04-04-2011

*tear drop* so true +1

Mentor75

04-05-2011

How exactly can I get it across to my ****** team members that if they won't right click the turret we will get aced and lose again?

Omesh

04-05-2011

Insulting never helped anyone. Give advice. Tell people what they're doing wrong. Do both in a way that's firm without being pejorative. That's how you should talk the entire game, no matter what. The more your conversation with your teammates turns into a flame war, the more you go on tilt and the more your chances of turning the game around dwindle and fade.

After the game is a different story. I have absolutely no problem shredding players who turned the game into a loss, and refuse to accept that they were the problem. Some people just aren't as good or experienced, and that's why they do dumb things like dawdle in the jungle when Shaco is missing. People can learn. Yeah, it sucks that their learning curve stole a game from you, but you can't win them all. You lose sometimes. It happens. Deal. Don't be cruel to people who haven't played the game as much as you, it doesn't help anyone.

But the guy who made idiotic mistakes time after time despite your warnings who also acts like he played perfectly the whole game? Yeah, f**k that guy. I don't want to play with that guy. If I'm not burning that guy to cinders then I'm just putting him on ignore and moving on to the next queue. People who are willing to eat their bad play are great, because they're willing to learn. That guy who thinks you're a ***** for not chasing Nocturne across his lane when the rest of his buddies are totally MIA? Don't bother being polite. He's a wanker. He deserves to know that he's a wanker.

dirtpoor

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyroie View Post
Okay, the picture is stupid. I have too much time on my hands.

Yes, like you say, it's usually safe there.

Usually.

If you've been killed 3 times, that means it's not safe there.

If your team is not helping, then buy defense, hug the tower, and attack the minions.
Okay, the picture is stupid. You preaching a bunch of **** I already know.

Rekka

04-05-2011

You do have a point. I wanted to try out a new assassin and after a few bot games, I got someone who overextended, chased and died ...well basically couldn't lane. Then I had to gimp my jungling to lane when jungling was the focus of my build and spell setup. It turned out that the entire team gimped themselves due to this individual's poor choices. Turret-hugging is a valid strategem.