Dota 2 vs League of Legends

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FireCrotchRocket

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-01-2011

I'm still a bit confused as to how these two games are related. I never played dota (guess is just never hopped on that bandwagon) but League of Legends is from the same creators, right? So are they going to be two independent companies with entirely different management? Both are very community-driven and I know a lot of LoL players used to be hardcore dota players.

My question is how is League of Legends going to compete with that kind of game. I mean right off the bat they're going to have dependable servers, game recording, and a lot more resources than LoL ever did. Don't get me wrong I've been with League of Legends since beta and I love it, but with games as similar as this I'm wondering which one will become obsolete.

Pantsizonfire

04-01-2011

I'll go to dota 2 if there is Huskar and Rasta, sry league

FireCrotchRocket

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-01-2011

I'll definately try it out. I'm not sure if anything will replace lol for me though. Again, I never played dota or even knew much about it before now :P

Ilonis

04-01-2011

DotA2 is to LoL as your Nephew is to you

USnip

04-01-2011

Dota 2 is unlikely to ever get as many casual players as league of legends will, dota is absolutely incomprehensible to a newbie... I think they're competing for different audiences mostly

the real threat seems like it would be to HON

BabyNinjaJesus

04-01-2011

If dota 2 can combine the best elements of dota and the best elements of LoL then it will be absolutely amazing

but i doubt it will be after reading into how icefrog operates, it will more than likely be exactly what the title implies, Dota 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by USnip View Post
Dota 2 is unlikely to ever get as many casual players as league of legends will, dota is absolutely incomprehensible to a newbie... I think they're competing for different audiences mostly

the real threat seems like it would be to HON

HON is already dying a very quick death, thats the whole reason for implementing the cash shop, they were on the verge of bankruptcy, everyone who already knew about hon had access to dota and everyone who didnt know about hon and was unsure if they should get into it just plays LoL

ToHiGhToCaRe

04-01-2011

In my honest opinion, DotA 2 will essentially ruin HoN, since that's where competitive moba gameplay is currently centered. DotA 2 will change that completely and the playerbase from HoN will basically just shift. Sure, the die-hard DotA fans will go away from LoL, but many who play LoL and DotA now will just be then playing LoL and DotA 2.

Thris

Recruiter

04-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantsizonfire View Post
I'll go to dota 2 if there is Huskar and Rasta, sry league
I believe you meant to say techies.

gwelch23

04-01-2011

league is saving their ace in the hole for the dota 2 release

they are gonna release league of legends 2.0

with project shiny

magma chamber

replays

spectator

its how they are gonna survive

FireCrotchRocket

04-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwelch23 View Post
league is saving their ace in the hole for the dota 2 release

they are gonna release league of legends 2.0

with project shiny

magma chamber

replays

spectator

its how they are gonna survive
True that.