Do you want the Spider Queen to join the League?

Yes 24,208 85.79%
No 4,010 14.21%
Voters: 28218. You may not vote on this poll

A challenge from Zileas himself, The Spider Queen needs you!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

무정한 소라

08-05-2012

yes spider queen!

Muranodo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastBaron88 View Post
Reading over the Riot posts, it seems like the Victorian element of the character design is maybe the biggest hang-up. Why not just release her as more of an archetypical spider-lady (tsuchigumo?) and have the Victorian outfit as an extra skin available for purchase? Already wrote a post about this in GD, though I guess it would be more appropriate in the Champion Concepts section?
It's been mentioned a few times. I'm sure they have some idea by now in mind. Given all the hints that she's in development anew. I tend to view the champion concepts forum more for pitching mechanical / visual ideas very loosely since they can't just up and make anyone's champion straight from it.

Healurownbum

08-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muranodo View Post
Given the hinting, it's really hard to say.

I mean... Diana was hinted at for a while even before the PBE mining (and she came out less than 2 months later). And the time between Morello's hints for Spider Queen have been fairly lengthy. His initial "tension" one was way, way back.

You also have this mentioned at Surrender at 20: "Even Diana changed extensively since we she was first uncovered; her (limited ) files made mention of a silence, stun, and lance although all of those are missing from her live incarnation."

So, we have no idea what to expect from Tekk. Assumptions could be that he/she/it is the next big monster champion that isn't Spider Queen.

One could also assume DarkSovereign is a possible outlet for her. Since there were talks of making Malzahar's daughter her to appease two big wants. But it wouldn't make sense with the spiderling AI mentioned by Xypherous a while ago. But again all those skill names are drastically subject to change.

My personal gut feeling is she's more long term down the pipeline given the pacing in between hints. I think she'll be out before the year is up; I don't know if she'll appear in say the next five champions.
Thanks for the reply dude. Scared of spiders but still rly want this champ to happen... I know weird but something just makes me smile the feel of stalking after ur enemy like with Eve. And kinda hope this champ might have that feeling as well...

TheLastBaron88

08-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muranodo View Post
It's been mentioned a few times. I'm sure they have some idea by now in mind. Given all the hints that she's in development anew. I tend to view the champion concepts forum more for pitching mechanical / visual ideas very loosely since they can't just up and make anyone's champion straight from it.
They really can't? I would think that if it were posted in a forum exclusively dedicated to champion concepts, it would be fair game since they are obviously intended to see it. Seeing the community's ideas implemented is why they have that section of the forums in the first place, I had thought. I really do hope they go through with making this champion, seems to be in very high demand if the poll on this thread is any indicator.

Muranodo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Healurownbum View Post
Thanks for the reply dude. Scared of spiders but still rly want this champ to happen... I know weird but something just makes me smile the feel of stalking after ur enemy like with Eve. And kinda hope this champ might have that feeling as well...
Well, I think she'll be a jungler if the spiderling concept is kept. It seems to make sense given Zyra and Heimerdinger (to a lesser extent) take advantage of that in the jungle. So she may very well be creeping after someone.

Choco Princess

08-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PodunkTheMighty View Post
Woo! Spider Champ!
i am ready for our spider overlord

November Terra

DrazecroS

08-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
So, the blind monk one made sense. But seriously, this one is just too far out there. I get why some of you are excited, but it's just not an archetype most people 'get'. Too many twists. Spider Lady is already pretty exotic. Spider Lady with Victorian umbrella is way out there. I think it's too niche. Lots of peolpe want to be a badass martial arts monk, it's an aspirational role.

On the other hand, who wants to be an overweight balding drunk guy (Gragas)? Note that he's not that popular even though he's very fun.

Victorian umbrella spider woman is not typically a fantasy people have of who they want to be ;p

If the concept is too far out there, or isn't aspirational, it's just less popular. Spider queen has both of these issues, which is why we haven't made her.

Of course, badass spider/woman hybrid who spins you into cocoons and poisons you might be OK.

- Zileas
It's not like Diana is too inspirational either. She proved popular since she is an opposer to Solari. People like rivalries. The popularity in the forums wasn't really because of how Diana looked or played in PBE.

Spider Queen sounds way more interesting than a vengeful human who we already have (Varus). Don't get me wrong, I still like Diana. But, I think, Spider Queen is way more interesting than Diana even without her lore. You don't see this kind of huge threads for every champion, do you?

Muranodo

08-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastBaron88 View Post
They really can't? I would think that if it were posted in a forum exclusively dedicated to champion concepts, it would be fair game since they are obviously intended to see it. Seeing the community's ideas implemented is why they have that section of the forums in the first place, I had thought. I really do hope they go through with making this champion, seems to be in very high demand if the poll on this thread is any indicator.
Legality issues. It's an outlet to prevent general discussion from being flooded with the content (because obviously people are going to get champion ideas).

The alternative would be what...

A) Sign a long disclaimer when joining the forums that says Riot can use your idea if so herein presented

- Then you'd have challenges about readability / whether it's valid or a trick on consumer rights. I'm not in business law; I can see something like this happening. Even if they win it's bad publicity and bad for the community.

Or they could ask; it's kind of hard to get a written contract all set up with miles apart. Assuming that's how that would have to work outsourcing-wise. I'm not sure how it goes again.

And as mentioned they can loosely derive inspiration. That's how we have Lee Sin, Battle Bunny Riven, Surprise Party Fiddlesticks, Gentleman Cho'Gath, etc. So while they can't take it directly if they see some component or the like they can jump from there. It's why so many League of Legends champions have notable influences.

Diana, for instance, recently with Claymore (anime/manga). Spider Queen was already worked on some, so I don't think there's any doubt about her being made. It's just a matter of when.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrazecroS View Post
It's not like Diana is too inspirational either. She proved popular since she is an opposer to Solari. People like rivalries. The popularity in the forums wasn't really because of how Diana looked or played in PBE.

Spider Queen sounds way more interesting than a vengeful human who we already have (Varus). Don't get me wrong, I still like Diana. But, I think, Spider Queen is way more interesting than Diana even without her lore. You don't see this kind of huge threads for every champion, do you?
Keep in mind this is a very old post before the support was really there. Also, it was more of an explanation about her old design concept.

Not sure what they have in mind now for her design-wise (there's so many different spider-woman hybrid images alone), so it'll be interesting.

Kerbere

08-05-2012

Bump 13 moar to 21,600!