Cho'gath: The Terror of Trying to decide!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Athran

02-18-2010

I can't figure out how I should be playing Cho'gath. From ability choices to item choices, he's a mishmash of awesome and confusing.

For example, I recently started rushing Atma's Impaler after getting Berserker's Grieves. The result is I clear minions really fast, and get that early extra bunch of damage. That worked for about two games, but after that I noticed I was sort of slow and couldn't catch people to Feast on them.

When it comes to his abilities, I always look between Rupture and Feral Scream and wonder which of them I should be leveling. So far, I've gone for leveling Rupture and Vorpal Blades before going for more than 1 rank in Feral Scream.

On top of all this, I just watched someone completely dominate with Cho'gath simply using his base items...Pendant, Swiftness and Sunfire.

Can someone give me more in-depth info on how to play my favorite Champion? Beta did not give me enough experience, it seems!

WhitemageofDOOM

02-18-2010

Only good cho'gath is tank cho'gath.(And he ain't so hot right now ;.;, stupid feast nerf)

Cho'gath is best in the early game laning phase, use rupture to harass your enemy, while using carnivore/vorpal spikes to dominate the creeps and force them to there tower. Anything the tower last hits they can't, denying your opponents precious gold. Incidentally this makes you a great solo mid as you can prevent there carry from being able to last hit.

Don't get scream until team fight phase hits and only one point until you max rupture.(stop lvling spikes after the team fight phase starts obviously.)

For items you always always get Regrowth pendant->warmogs->Boots. You should be able to do this before the team fight phase since your such a drat incredible farmer.
After that there's a number of items you could look at, in order of cho'gathitude.
Aegis- Someone on your team should always have this. You being the hugest mofo on your team are a great aura *****.
Frozen heart- Another good defensive aura, also gives CD reduction which you need badly.
Rylais- Hp and a slow on your spells is good, AP doesn't hurt.
Banshees Veil- Huge MR, some hp, and blocks spells woooo.
Thornmail- Is the enemy team full of ***** DPS? Make them pay for looking at you funny.
Spirit Visage- Has MR, buffs carnivore and gives cooldown. Only take this if the enemy team is heavy magic and so your not getting frozen heart.
Soul shroud- It's mostly meh, but again if frozen heart sucks something has to give you CD reduction you could grab this to gain another aura.

PatrickStar

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-18-2010

CHO'GATH IS A TANK NOT A HYBRID. IF YOU TOUCH AN AP ITEM, YOU'RE DOING SOMETHING WRONG!

First of all, Tank's job is to go up in the action, and draw all the attention to you cause of your awesome health no? That makes Cho so feared, you pick off enemies with your feast. Not only that, it gives you the ability to do /all NOMNOMNOMNOM.

TL;DR for illiterates
Step 1: Stay with teammates in ganks
Step 2: Watch people "attempt" to kill you
Step 3: Feast. /all NOMNOMNOMNOM.
$$$$Profit$$$$

Athran

02-18-2010

Hmmm...sounds like solid advice. I'll try it, thanks.

I'm amazed nobody recommends sunfire....do you all hate the poor thing?

mOeeOm

02-18-2010

Start with doran's shield and you should have 2 hearts of gold by 10 minutes. Then merc treads + spirit visage, with a feast x6 it takes a lot to kill you. Go tank at this point and be obnoxious, your next item is Warmog's. Q -> W -> E and prioritize E until ult, then silence. Leave the knockup alone because the duration or % doesn't improve only the dmg, get the spray + silence because it gets to 4 seconds.

WhitemageofDOOM

02-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athran View Post
I'm amazed nobody recommends sunfire....do you all hate the poor thing?
It's.....really bad.
It's kind of fun/silly to stack it, since it's reduced by MR it really doesn't do anything unless you stack it. And there's a lot better items than sunfire, like aegis.

BamSucka

02-18-2010

When you feast do you need to kill the hero in order for it to stack? If so should you just feast on minions or near dead heroes until you are stack x6?

WhitemageofDOOM

02-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamSucka View Post
When you feast do you need to kill the hero in order for it to stack?
Yes.

Quote:
If so should you just feast on minions or near dead heroes until you are stack x6?
Feast on minions till 6. You want to feed your allies kills, not get them.
Until recently i would have said "After 6 use feast on enemy heroes at high hp that are getting focus fired." But since the feast nerf just ignore feast entirely once you get six stacks.

BamSucka

02-18-2010

What was the feast nerf? I thought the only thing changed was its Poppy glitch?

Roalr

02-18-2010

Feast only deals half the damage now if it itsn't a killing blow