[Guide] Poppy - STOP! Hammer Time!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

peyo

02-18-2010

Hey there. I'd like to show you my way of playing Poppy. I'm not any uber-pro-pwnz0rd, I'm not even lvl 30, but 18 But even like this, I feel that I'm doing pretty good and I'd like to share this with you. I also hope, I can get some advices of some more experienced Poppy lovers

1. Introduction
2. Poppy's Skills
3. Summoner's Spells
4. Masteries
5. Runes
6. Skill build
7. Items
8. Tactics
9. Credits

1. Introduction:
Poppy was (and probably still is) said to be quite over powered, but it's not true. She got even nerfed some time ago, but if she's played well, she can still be dam.n deadly. I realise, that there are not only 30lvls around and that's what I'm missing in all these guides. They are being read MOSTLY by unexperienced players, so I'll be giving hints for them as well. They will be *in Italics and with stars at both sides, like this *

2. Poppy's Skills:
Valiant Fighter - Any damage dealt to Poppy that exceeds 10% of her current health is reduced by 50%. This does not reduce damage from structures.

Great passive, no need to say anything more (well, except for the thing that it says 30%, not 50% in game, no idea which one is true :P).

Devastating Blow [Q] - Poppy crushes her opponent, dealing attack damage (+0.6) plus 20/40/60/80/100 and 8% of her target's maximum health in bonus damage. The bonus damage dealt cannot exceed 75/150/225/300/375.

This is Poppy's main skill and it's basis for that build. Dealing enormous ammount of dmg with a short cooldown, makes look Poppy like an OPed char.

Paragon of Demacia [W] - Passive: Upon being hit or attacking an enemy, Poppy's armor and damage are increased by 1.5/2/2.5/3/3.5 for 5 seconds. This effect can stack 10 times.
Active: Poppy gains max stacks of Paragon of Demacia and her movement speed is increased by 17/19/21/23/25% for 5 seconds.

Lovely skill, giving you speed, damage and armor. Great for pushing Turrets, running away and chasing. Allowing you to get the best position for Charging.
In the mid/late game, I'm spamming this skill as much as I can :P

Heroic Charge [E] - Poppy charges at an enemy and carries them for a short distance. The initial impact deals 50/75/100/125/150 (+0.4) magic damage. If they collide with terrain, her target takes 75/125/175/225/275 (+0.4) magic damage and will be stunned for 1.5/1.5/1.5/1.5/1.5 seconds.

Great skill as well, allwoin you to do some GG combos with your Paragon and Blow. Stun is what Poppy really needs, cuz after she uses all her skills, the target is usually almost dead or nicely harrased, but you will have no skills to finish them off, so they'll probably run away. Also great in early game, for pushing under the Turret.

Diplomatic Immunity [R] - For 6 seconds, Poppy is immune to any damage and abilities from enemies other than her target.
In addition, Poppy's attacks deal 20/30/40% increased damage to the marked target.

Ulti's always great This can be used for both, killing an defending. Well used in early game can get you some nice kills, as some people won't think that you can kill them from under the Turret

3. Summoner's Spells:
Flash - great skill, usefull for killing, running and doing combo with your Charge.
*Get it as soon as you are level 12 and you'll be amazed how useful it might be*

Exhaust - again for both, killing and running away, might even save more than 1 life :] Hell useful in the begining (love to Exhaust people under Turret) and later, when you have all your skills in cooldown and your enemy is trying to run away. Also, you should put a point in Offense Mastery, to get Improved Exhaust, which fits nicely to what we're doing.

Flash and Exhaust is what I'm using right now. IMO, best combination. Here are other spells you might want to use:

Teleport - Allowing you to go town and back really qucikly. This is great for early game and in mid/late might be used for pushing and killing as well (you can teleport on minion near your enemies).

Heal - That skill is never mentioned, but it's great for early game, and might save not only you. Tho, it should be taken on lower levels only, then I'd swap it for Flash

Ghost - Also nice skill to have, improving your good speed even more. Again, helpful for killing and escaping. But what I love the most about it is that it removes unit collision, which sometimes is a pain in the ass. Quite good alternative for Flash.

Ignite - Additional damage is always good. Tho, I don't like it, it's helpful in the begining, but later on, I find it really useless.

*I've been using Ghost and Heal before level 10, as I didn't know how good Exhaust is.*

4. Masteries:
As I said in the begining, I'm only level 18, so I don't have all my Masteries and Runes 100% ready YET. But here's what I've got so far:

9 Offense/0 Defence/9 Utility

Offense tree:
Archmage's Savvy 3/3
Cripple 1/1
Sorcery 4/4
Archaic Knowledge 1/1

This tree is giving me what I need, AP, Magic Penetration and Cooldown Reduction.

Utility tree:
Perseverence 3/3
Good Hands 2/3
Awareness 4/4

Health & Mana regen, reduced time being dead and increased EXP.

I'll be pushing my Utility Tree to 21 now. Points will go to:
Good Hands 3/3
Utility Mastery 2/2
Blink of an Eye 1/1
Quickness 3/3
Inteligence 3/3
Greed 1/1
Presence of the Mastery 1/1

In that order. Greed is here just because I'll need that 1 point to get Presence of the Mastery. If you are using Teleport (not necessarily on Poppy), you can go with Spatial Accuracy instead of it (ofc, take it as 1 of the first skills).

*If you are using other spells than Flash and Exhaust, place the points to get Improved versions of them. In the begining, I've been playing with 1 point in Defence, to get Improved Heal (Mender's Faith). Don't worry, you can always reset your points for free, so go ahead :] *

5. Runes:
That's where a lot is pretty much allowed. I am myself using full Cooldown Reduction Runes (Focus ones), but I'll rethink that at lvl 20. I guess, all the Mana, HP, Mana & HP regen, AP and Magic Penetration Runes will do good. Also, I greatly prefer getting the constant bonuses ones, as they are needed the most in the early game.
But I feel like Cooldown Reduction ones are the most useful for me.
*Don't compound Runes, you have to be extremely lucky to get anything good*

6. Skill build:
1. Devastating Blow [Q] 1/5
2. Heroic Charge [E] 1/5
3. Devastating Blow 2/5
4. Paragon of Demacia [W] 1/5
5. Devastating Blow 3/5
6. Diplomatic Immunity [R] 1/3
7. Devastating Blow 4/5

At level 8 go with either Paragon of Demacia or Heroic Charge. It depends on the other team. I am using the Paragon to get better speed, if you feel like you really need that, go with Paragon. Otherwise, Heroic Charge is the way to go.
At level 9 max out your Devastating Blow, which will make you quite deadly. Max out your Diplomatic Immunity whenever it's possible. As for Charge and Paragon, it depends on what you feel you need. If there's anyone faster than you in the other team, I'd pump Paragon first. But ofc, if there isn't, keep up with Charge as it gives nice damage as well

7. Items:
Start with Meki Pendant (Magic/Mana Regen) and 2 Health Potions (Consumables). This is giving you Mana Regen and some HP regen and is enough for the begining.
After that, get Boots of Speed (Movement), for increased speed, which is great in the begining.
Later on, concentrate on getting Sheen (Magic/Ability Power), starting with Sapphire Crystal, cuz you have really low mana. Sheen is giving nice damage bonus, AP and Mana, that's why it's a must for Poppy.
Next step is to improve your Boots. There are few that fits Poppy, but I personally feel that Boots of Mobility are the best ones. This will allow you to run around all the map quickly, with your Paragon of Demacia it should be around 500-550 speed. Love to outrun almost everyone :] You can use it for placing well before your Charge as well.
Get another Amplyfing Tome and then make Mejai's Soulstealer from it. This item is a great one, but only as long as you are not dying. 20AP for a kill, 10AP for an assist gives you great boost in quite early game.
*You should be carefull with Soulstealer, as you lose third of your stacks whenever you die. If you are having a really hard game, getting a kill for a kill, then it's not good item for you. You can go for some other AP item instead if you are not doing that good*
After that build up your Meki Pendant into Fiendish Codex for some AP and Cooldown Reduction.
When you're done with it, you should go for Lich Bane from your Sheen. Start with Blasting Wand, unless there are good mages in the other team.
After you get a Lich Bane, you'll be raping more and more.
If the game continues, you should make either Zhonya's Ring (Magic/Ability Power) or Void Staff (Magic/Ability Power) depending on how the game is. If you are doing very well and got some nice stacks on your Soulstealer, then Zhonya's Ring is the way to go. If you are not doing that great, go for Void Staff and pay more attention xD If enemies are all stunners or whatever, you can go for Banshee's Veil.

So well, here's the list of what I'm getting, to make it easier:
Meki Pendant + 2 HP Points
Boots of Speed
Sapphire Crystal + Amplifying Tome -> Sheen
Boots of Speed -> Boots of Mobility
Amplifying Tome -> Mejai's Soulstealer
Meki Pendant + Amplifying Tome -> Fiendish Codex
Sheen -> Lich Bane
Zhonya's Ring/Void Staff

8. Tactics:
Poppy is not a mid lane char, I hope that's a clear case for everyone.
She's good with almost every other hero, except for pure supports IMO. Any stuning, slowing, poisoning or high DPS char is good. Also, I love to party up with good Blitzcrank or Singed and pushing stupid enemies into the turret Her blows do lots of damage and if somehow your partner can stop enemy from running away, you'll do great.
Whenever there is a possibility, use Blow on your enemies to harrass them. I'd not try going much in, before level 4, but when u get it, just start with your Paragon for speed, then Charge them into the wall/ally if possible and then Blow them. If the other enemy is helping, move back under the Turret, if not, Exhaust him and try beating him down. I'm trying to harrass enemies as much as possible before final rush, so they are easy target then. Just say your partner, that he should stay back if he's squishy, until they are easy target.
If somehow, you are just 4 (the 5th one is afk/leaver/jungling/whatever), always take a 1v2 lane. Poppy is a Carry/DPS char, but she doesn't need to be fed as hell to be deadly and also she's a great Defender. Just stay at the Turret, try getting the last hit on minions and if enemies are stupid enough to start attacking Turret, just push them into the wall, so they get stunned, use Devastating Blow on them and move back. They will think twice before they get close next time You will get exp quickly, and sooner or later, your team mates will come and help you. When this time comes, you'll be outleveling your enemies by far, so it shouldn't be a problem (unless you feed them). Sometimes, especially when I am alone vs 2, I'm taking Paragon on level 3 and Blow on level 4.

After the game moves out of the lanes, it's the time when Poppy gets really good. With the speed of your Boots of Mobility, you can go jungling if you feel like you need it. Getting a Golem Buff is a great thing to do, as well as killing the Dragon few times for money for you and your team.
Don't forget to be near your team mates whenever they need you. Try hiding in grass as much as possible, wait for the enemies to come out, pop your Paragon, get on their back and push them towards your friends. He'll get most likely ass raped Make use of your ulti as much as you need, chasing enemies even under their Turrets. You can tank them for these 6s so your friends can go in as well.

In the late game, try pushing all the lanes and if it's needed, go on defending. You are great at both.

9. Credits:
I have read many guides and I really have no idea which I based on There might be some things that you'll think like they appeared in your guide. I have most likely read it and there is a possibility that I took that from you So I'd like to thank anyone who has made a guides for Poppy :P

I hope this guide is somehow helpful for some :] If you feel like you'd have changed something, please let me know and I'll consider it. Same goes for if you'd like more explanations on anything I have chosen.
And sorry for my Engrish

-----
Guide made by peyo aka Shorea

Veissdrachen

02-18-2010

Trinity Force is better for Poppy than Lichbane if you wanna build more for Attack Damage than Ability power. This also allows for a Tough-Carry type build, since Dev Blow doesn't have a humongous AP mod, but it uses 100% of your attack damage. Though since the nerf to TForce coming up, this may no longer be true.

I prefer to build my items thusly, and it tends to work for me:

Cloth Armor + 2x Health and Mana pots. > Ninja Tabi first back.
Amplifying Tome to Sheen
Blasting Wand to Guinsoo's Rageblade
Ruby Crystal to Phage
Phage and Sheen to Trinity Force
Ruby Crystal, Negatron Cloak to Banshee's Veil (If more mages than melee)
OR
Chainmail, NullMagic Mantle to Guardian Angel (If more melee than mages) [If the game drags long, both.]

Usually the game's over by now, but if it continues:
Giant's Belt/Ruby Crystal to Warmog's Armor

peyo

02-22-2010

I've been trying AD Poppy and I felt like that's not the same. IMO Poppy is supposed to be a quick-high dmg. dealer, which is possible if you r using AP items (they are cheaper)

If I wanted high AD, I'd definitely go with some other champ, which is not as squishy as Poppy

ExsqweezeMe

02-22-2010

i saw the thread title and it reminded me of the epic "stop! it's heimertime!" rap someone recorded

peyo

02-22-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExsqweezeMe View Post
i saw the thread title and it reminded me of the epic "stop! it's heimertime!" rap someone recorded
^^

Mc Hammer - You can't touch this :P