Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Support Maokai?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DarkerStix

03-31-2011

I like Maokai. He's a fun champ to play and I want to find something that works.

I saw someone on here mention that he builds Maokai as a support/tank. I can't remember how he built him, but I decided to give the thought a shot. Here's what I came up with as a first draft:

Runes:
Magic Penetration Reds
Mana Regeneration Yellows
Cool Down Reduction Per Level Blues
Bonus Gold Quints

Why gold quints? As the support, I want to leave the last hits for the carry that I'm probably laning with. The others I think are fairly easily defended.

Masteries:
0 In Offense
9 in Defense
21 in Utility

I take improved Teleport and Clairvoyance. I like Teleport, because Maokai is easily one of the slowest champs in the game, and I think I need the be able to get to a team fight quickly for my auras/ult. Improved Clarity is also a good option because Maokai has awful mana issues.

Items:
CDR boots
Soul Shroud
Aegis of the Legion
Rod of Ages
Rylai's Crystal Scepter
Will of the Ancients

Ideal Order:
Mana Manipulator>Boots of Speed>Soul Shroud>Catalyst>CDR Boots>Aegis>Rod of Ages>Rylai's>Will of the Ancients

I think this is, at least, an interesting and fun way to play the tree. Any thoughts or ideas to tweek it?

DarkerStix

03-31-2011

Bumpage.

Thebeshian

04-01-2011

That's not support Maokai, thats AP maokai with auras. Maokai is a pretty ****ed good tank, roll sunfires, banshees etc.

Bumbah

04-01-2011

The best Maokai build I've had so far is to rush 2 catalysts and Merc treads. First catalyst for BV, Next for RoA. Buy mana pots for sapling spam and never level Q until you have to. By this time the game is over, usually. If not, GA, FoN, Sunfire, etc works great.

Mpen reds, Armor yellows, MR bues, hp quints

Clarity and heal summoner spells.

9/21/0 - no utility talents needed since you buy mana pots and have clarity. The Mpen from offense is def needed and the 21 in def is a no-brainer

Yellow Jester

04-01-2011

Even if you get 400 AP on maokai your spell damage still sucks big ones. Just build straight tank.

MaR10s

04-01-2011

Maokai IS a Tank/support, no matter how you build him. Thats because his kit allows him to protect his team and help them survive (like Shen, the other Tank/support.). Stacking auras =/= support.

Something Snazzy

04-01-2011

First, with level 4 sprouts (roughly level 7), you can start farming 3 full health caster minions with one sprout. Thus, Mao can farm just fine while your lane partner can still last hit the melee minions. Don't bother with gold quints.

Second, his #1 job is support. He has a knockback, a root, a ward and a huge damage reduction ult. No matter what your build is, make sure you have 40% CDR. For boots, though, I would go swiftness or merc treads, just because he has such horrible move speed. With 9/0/21, CDR blue and frozen heart, you should be near 40% without boots. Then you can build him pure tank to make up for the lack of defensive tree. 9/0/21 also helps with mana problems, move speed, exp, CDR, etc. His AP ratios just aren't that great. If you want an AP off tank, try Nunu. Mao is definitely a support off tank, not an AP off tank.

Third, where Mao really shines is his ability to shut down a lane early on. I honestly love rushing chalice on him. This frees up yellow for flat armor, gives him some MR and great mana regen. If you lane with a strong early harasser like Cait, Jarv, Garen, etc, you will be able to push a lane back to the tower and then nail them with sprouts constantly, even if they are behind their tower. And with a sprout in the inner brush and his root/knockback/tankiness, there is very little fear from ganks.

With a good lane partner, your jungler will be able to focus on ganking top/mid and their jungler will be forced to help bot for the entire laning phase. This let's your carries carry.

Luk Candy

Recruiter

04-01-2011

I think going all-out tank is great, because he has incredible cc and you don't need to bother doing damage as long as you stay alive in teamfights and disable enemies, the damage part is about your carries.
Going cd red. , mana regen and hp/magic res. and armor is a better rune build IMO.

Crostol

04-01-2011

you dont have to biuld ap, you have to go tanky with cdr and magic pen.