Morgana dying too easily, need suggestions (build inside)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SYN Phrost

02-18-2010

i'd reccomend doing this for a good mix of damage and survivability, my scores with morgana are usually only 1-2 deaths and 5+ kills and a bunch of assists by the end of the game.

Doran's Ring
Mejai's Soulstealer (Important to rush this for maximizing its potential for you're damage)
Sorc or Merc Treads
Rod of Ages
-From here the game is usually concluding, you can either get a Banshee's, another Rod of Ages, Zhonya's, or a Deathfires.

I really reccomend doing this, i've had a lot of success with it. Rarely die and you are always in there with you're team melting faces with binding and soil and poppin out shields, make sure to get flash to flash in and pop you're ultimate in the middle of them and get the aoe stun + nuke.

dYCz6lcXvHgw3EQf

02-18-2010

Thanks all.

Some great tips from y'all: Doran's has made all the difference. I realised I'd cluelessly picked it from the recommended item list all the time until I got clever and read guides recommending a variety of starting items except this one. This was about when I started sucking in lane.

My current combo:

Doran's + hp
ruby/sapphire
boots 1
sapphire/ruby
catalyst
sorc boots
soulstealer (this seems to be a self fulfilling prophecy)
abyssal/banshee/guardian (this is when the enemies start to become dangerous)

Q: I notice that a lack of cdr hurts, but I don't know when to stop cranking offense and go with cdr instead. Guise is cheap but the tech doesn't seem too useful imo. Abyssal is just too tempting to give up...

Q: Is Rod really that good? I always seem to get it very late (25++ min) due to a lack of firepower while teching to it, is it still worth it? It means no banshee. Instead of getting this and waiting 20 minutes, why not just farm gold for 20 minutes and buy something better?

When I get a halfway competent team I seem to be useful - won a game despite a whining feeder ('why are you using your spells on creeps and not on enemies'), lost one due to another feeder, both as just about the only people on the team with positive k/d. It's just so annoying when you snare someone and nobody follows up...

bobthegood

02-18-2010

Your item build is fine, just get some CD reduction and focus on not dying. A typical game for my morgana is 4/2/15ish with soulstealer having 10+ stacks. You should consider frozen heart for the extra tanking and CDR, perhaps as your 3rd or 4th major item.

Lycanblu

02-20-2010

it also depends on the intelligence level of the opponents, I solod bottom lane with morgana, against a gangplank and an alistair, and i owned them. The gangplank never hid behind minions, so he usually got full blast from both spells. and because of my spell shield, allistair's CC had no effect on me.

But because morgana's spells are on contact, not on click, she's very hard to actually USE offensively, she relies on CC from other characters to land her spells, and because her offensive spells have long cooldowns, she is not valuable for sustained combat.

Morgana is labled as support quite justly, while landing both of her offensive spells will take down half the life of any dps late game, the chance that she CAN is another matter. along with that, morgana is one of the slowest heros' in the game, making her awful for pursuit.

Just remember, there is never a bad time for a spell sheild, have em up whenever possible in combat, don't WAIT for someone to shoot something.

Morgana's ult would be better.... if people actually cared that you used it.

You use your ult, and it's like, ohh hay, Morgana actually tried to hit us, let's all kill her in 1.4 seconds. it's useful, but i think the stun time should be reduced by a second or so, to make it more viable.

On that note, that it doesnt apply itself to people walking into range while you use it is also rather deppressing. a person can flash out a second before the stun, then just walk back in with no worries, while if nunu ults, they run the heck out of there, and you can't go back in cause you'll die, be nice if morgana's either had a greater range, or applied it if they run into its range while it's active.

L0V0

02-20-2010

https://www.leagueoflegends.com/boar...156#post703156

I wrote a guide on morgana if you want to cheack it out. its meant to keep you alive :]

dYCz6lcXvHgw3EQf

02-21-2010

Quote:
Your item build is fine, just get some CD reduction and focus on not dying. A typical game for my morgana is 4/2/15ish with soulstealer having 10+ stacks. You should consider frozen heart for the extra tanking and CDR, perhaps as your 3rd or 4th major item.
Hmm, I usually do like 5/4/7. The problem is that they often just barely get away and I lose a lot of kills until soulstealer (or worst case: abyssal), preventing the use of too many defensive items. Those would keep me alive, but I wouldn't be able to kill anything and I'd nevertheless accumulate deaths through attrition (you do just get unlucky sometimes).

GENERAL NUTBAKED

02-21-2010

mejai's is actually not a bad item for morgana, but dont expect to build stacks off kills. expect to build stacks off assists. If you hang back in a teamfight, you shouldnt die as much. Only run in to ult AFTER your tank does, and after the stun, flash the fk out and resume shield/binding spam. Mejai's provides a healthy boost to AP for shield and for binding/soil harassment.

I would go catalyst, boots 1, mejai's, merc threads (shield yourself less), and then build frozen heart. After frozen heart, I would get either rod of ages or banshee's veil, usually banshee's veil.

You have the advantage of being a good farmer, use it well. farm your arse off whenever you're not ganking with your team.

dYCz6lcXvHgw3EQf

02-21-2010

I think I've seen one game where the tank initiated. People seem to pick tanks because they have high hp and if they stack armor and stand back in a bush they might survive so their K/D doesn't go down.

Merc threads instead of sorc boots? What if they stack MR?

GENERAL NUTBAKED

02-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enai Siaion View Post
I think I've seen one game where the tank initiated. People seem to pick tanks because they have high hp and if they stack armor and stand back in a bush they might survive so their K/D doesn't go down.

Merc threads instead of sorc boots? What if they stack MR?
merc threads because you are SUPPORT not DPS. merc threads help you stay alive and cc you for less. if they stack MR, then thats not your problem, as your goal is to snare and shield. if your tanks are not initiating, then dont bother getting into the middle and ulting, as it will just get you killed.

your goal is to shield tanks and carries so they dont get cc'd and they can proceed to rape. you snare their carry so they cannot do damage. you use tormented soil primarily for farming, but also you plop one down in a teamfight because people tend to avoid it regardless of the damage it deals.

if your tanks are being pansies, then play premades or play someone else until you get to a higher elo. I play mostly tanks and that is a mentality i dont understand. I have the best win/loss on amumu, but my k/d/a is like 1:1:10.

morgana tends to be frustrating to play in solo queues and REALLY shines in premades.

starmonkey

02-21-2010

Have been playing lots of Morgana lately, here are some observations from a solo-queue pubber:

• Starting with dorans is nice, but does slow your item purchases.
  • Spells: Clarity and Ghost (9/0/21 masteries). Clairvoyance isn't bad either. for preventing ganks. If I don't go with clarity, I start with a meki pendant -> chalice. Sometimes, taking ignite is fun
  • Catalyst is great for staying in your lane from say 6-11 (when the ganking begins in earnest).
  • Consider keeping Catalyst for the level-up bonuses to health/mana (eg don't rush the Rod), then turn it later into a Banshee's Veil if you're against a magic-heavy team.
  • You MUST level Soil to 3 in order to farm for your items. Unless your lane partner is Nasus or something, then focus on DB/shield. The most success I've had with laning is with someone who has a stun (say Sion or Eve) and you can level Soil for farming AND ganking. Stun -> Soil -> DB -> Ignite (from lane partner)
  • If I go boots other than sorc, I get Haunting Guise and later an abyssal.
  • Mejai's seems to be the only way to make my spells actually pack a punch.
  • Golem buff is great for the cooldowns.
  • Morg's auto-attack range/speed is so bad I never bother with lichbane. She should be hanging back anyway.
  • Deathfires is a fun item but I rarely go for it. Fiendish codex does give good early -CD though...
  • Rylai's makes you tanky and the slow procs on soil, meaning you can hold back on the DB. You can also drop soil on fleeing opponents to get the slow and help your carry catch them.

My last game went something like: dorans, catalyst, mejais, sorc shoes, rod, guise (game over)

I'll keep playing Morgana for a while, she's rewarding when you can land those DB's...