katarina

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

mc magic 18

03-31-2011

just bought kat and i am failing miserably. I tend to go with an AP build and focus on lvl'ing shunpo first along with killer instincts. I dont really know what summoner spells to go with. Item order usually
boots of lucidity
mejai's soulstealer
rylais scepter
rabadon deathcap
hourglass
void staff

i got this concept from a build but i just havnt done well with it. anyone have any ideas on modifications/diffrent play styles that may be able to help?

ThrangOul

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-31-2011

U have to play safe... U r not supposed to go into teamfight and die just to wait for a right moment and shunpo->ulti their team.
Try to get mejai only when doing good (because its gambly item)
if you r not dieing often try to replace hourglass (or void staff instead) with will of ancients or even hextched gunblade for some spell vamp

Warrrax

04-01-2011

AP boosts your shunpo like crazy and your ult. Less of a boost to Bouncing blades.

AD gives you a larger bouncy blade and better ult, but NO boost to Shunpo. You also have better melee strikes, although you dont generally melee.

Assuming AP approach, I recommend getting boots, then Giants Belt first, then upgrade to Lucidity, then to Rylais.

Rylais adds a Slow to ALL your abilities which is pretty sweet, as well as a big survivability boost. Then grab a Negatron cloak to avoid getting nuked into the ground. You eventually upgrade it to an Abyssal for the magic penetration (ALL your spells are magical dmg), AP, and even more MR.

Assumeing you have 15CDR to start, Id grab a Kindlegem right after Rylais to get you to 40%. From 30 to 40% CDR really does increase your spammability quite a bit.

Jiggybuns

04-01-2011

Just a quick outline of some things i've found work really well on Katarina.

1: Boots should be either sorc shoes or ionian (either works, i like ionian for more harassment early). Ionian has better synergy with the magic pen mastery and void staff, sorc shoes work very well with abyssal scepter. I don't like merc treads on Kat because, generally, if you get CC'd, you're already dead.

2: Go ap 100%. Under no circumstances would I ever build an AD katarina. Getting gunblade in mid/late is acceptable, but it's a niche item. I start with book/hp pot and bouncing blades, harass on cooldown. Get a rylais and your boots 2 as soon as humanly possible. Learn to last hit with BB while bouncing it into/off of champions.

3: Early harassment should consist of waiting until the enemy uses a cooldown, then shunpo/BB off the enemy and run out. Rinse and repeat. Remember your defensive stats suck, so sticking around to melee is generally a terrible idea.

4: In teamfights you should harass as much as possible with BB before the fight breaks out, cut healing during the fight, and shunpo onto anyone outside of the "pack" as your main attack. Learn to time your ult so that you do the most damage possible, but avoid silences/stuns as either will shut you down hard.

5: Always be casting something unless youre saving for a shunpo-bb-ult combo on a champ. Your character is bound only by cooldowns, and theyre short cooldowns (relatively)

Just tacking this on, but a good base build order for me goes somethng like:

boots/3hp pot -OR- tome/hp pot (depending on who you expect to go up against)
sorc shoes/ionian boots
rylais
needlessly large rod

from here it varies, as you may need some mr/armor to survive long fights (if laning is already done), you may be stomping and want to snag a mejais, or you may want to go to Deathcap for a massive midgame jump in damage. I personally do not often build a mejais, as I am not a fan of snowball items.

One last thing: KI-BB anyone who ever uses a hp pot or healing ability. If they are damaged, they should be taking reduced healing. Learn to time this and shut those annoying abilities down.

ForeverLaxx

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-01-2011

I disagree with both rickless and Warrrax on some points. Level Bouncing Blades first if your lane is getting pushed as it's the the quickest and safest way to clear minions. Level Bouncing Blades first if harassing with it will prove much safer for you than harassing with Shunpo. If neither of these cases are true, leveling Shunpo first will return better results as a Shunpo hit with an auto-attack will provide more damage than a BB hit. Additionally, this puts you right in your enemy's face. This could be a good thing (if it's not, you should have followed previous advice and leveled BB first) as they may be very vulnerable to you. Plus, you can always BB them on the way back to your minion wave.

Leveling Killer Instincts second is a good idea as it boosts all of your abilities, if only by a minor amount. Getting the cooldown on the ability low enough that you're always running with it active is also a nice bonus (the cooldown begins when you activate the ability and not when the ability gets used up, contrary to many similar kinds of abilities).

That was pretty much my contention with rickless. My disagreement with Warrrax is the boot choice. Katarina really doesn't need CDR because of her passive, and the only bonus having it will give you is that it makes chasing easier. But if you pick up a Rylais, your chase ability is good enough to not need quicker BBs and Shunpos. Sorc Shoes is a good offensive choice, but as always, if the team has a ton of CC you might want to grab Merc Treads.

An AP build is the generally accepted build, even more so with the addition of an AP Ratio for Bouncing Blade. However, avoid a Mejais unless you're racking up stacks easily and quickly. I'm not a fan of Void Staff, but I pick up Abyssal Sceptre and Sorc Shoes so Void Staff loses a lot of its lustre because of the poor relationship between % penetration and Flat penetration.

R1pt3h5y5t3m

Recruiter

04-01-2011

Soo far looks like your doing it right

as other poster said get the magic pen boots instead, but if the other team is stacking cc/ap get the MR boots.

Since you are newer at Kat I would honestly skip soulstealer (I never get it anyway) and get something that more of a sure thing.

Always work on your BB skill first for harassment early game, then go 1 point in killer and push shunpo. Your BB should never be off CD, always spam it and use shunpo on creeps when its safe. Make sure you use killer instincts with bb and shunpo. The extra damage on bb helps each skip and DR from shunpo is great. For death lotus never enter team fights early and make sure they wont cc/stop it. (watch for it to be used already)

9/0/21 is how you want your tree

Runes (This is what I use) Red - magic pen Yellow/Blue - CD Quin - Flat health

I'm partial to going ignite/exhaust. Keep in mind that exhaust can be used for more then just keeping someone from getting away. Often ill gank someone knowing they will sit there and try to dps me before ill kill them. Depending on which champ it is, by the time it runs off of them they will finally realize they need to run away and ull get the kill.

You want to be overly aggressive with her but never put your self in harms way. Try to get your cd-r up. DFG works great for her. (yes has mana regen blah blah)

Shes alot of fun.

Sophyne

04-01-2011

Doran's Shield.
Sorc Boots.
Gunblade (if I'm not being focused) or Rylai's (if I'm not being focused).
Whichever I didn't get above I get it here.
Then you can get Abyssal, Zhonya's, and Rabadon's in any order you want.

Runes should be Magic Pen Marks, CD/Armor/MR glyphs and seals. Health Quints.
My masteries I use are 21/6/3 this is what I use for everyone, I almost never change it unless I feel like it once in awhile, but this is what I'm using now and it does well for me.

CDR is sort of useless on Kat, since half the time you'll be standing there, spinning anyway. And you get reduced cooldowns with her passive, so just make sure you kill. Her cooldowns aren't that long anyway.

Summoner spells should be Ghost/Flash/Exhaust/Teleport/Ignite. Heal and Clairvoyance are both useful, but should be picked up by others.

Skill order is Q --> E --> W maxing R as fast as possible.

eric the blue

04-01-2011

one of my teammates in a recent game used this build:

soulstealer
sorcerer boots
rabadon's deathcap

this produces a lot of ap very quickly, but leaves her vulnerable...actually, this was in a "co-op vs bots" game.

note that Kat is one of the few champs who gain improved magic resist when leveling.