About Tryndamere's build

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Wraithwall

03-31-2011

So my friends and I have been having a debate on the best way to build Tryndamere as far as runes go. One of my friends is saying crit chance runes because it helps for the early game since he's so squishy. On the other hand, my other friend is saying crit damage runes for higher crit damage, but then the other argues that you can just get AD items to make up for the difference.

What does everyone else think? Crit chance or crit damage? The highest rated guides I've seen have used crit chance, so I'm wondering what would be the advantage to these over crit damage? Is it only useful for early game? You can build crit chance items, but no item gives you extra crit damage except for say the Infinity Edge.

Thank you all for your time, I hope to get some good feedback soon.

Pplofdaworld

03-31-2011

Crit chance for early game IMO.

sSethia

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-31-2011

Crit chance is much better as you'll get fed early game. Crit damage actually requires you to crit, and if u just want a higher damage output, get armor penetration.

Aynia

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-31-2011

Critical damage runes are the best scaling runes in the game. The reason why guides might recommend critical chance runes is to improve consistency. A late game Tryndamere with a full critical damage page will hit far harder than one with critical chance runes. However, his early game will be far more RNG dependent than one with a critical chance rune page.

I personally would push for critical chance runes as well. With a brawlers, you have 40% critical chance right off the bat. Really useful for sustainability of Tryndamere's crappy laning phase.

LordLegato

03-31-2011

Crit Damage<Ar Pen. Out of your choices crit chance is the obvious way to go, it really helps his early game. Personally I build Trynd with Ar.pen marks and quints, raising my damage regardless, of crits, and those imo scale best early game. idk where's Aynia's source for his crit damage contention. I also get dodge seals for some ult escapes (I tend to get ninja tabi) and flat MR for the same reason.

Crit is cheap, and you'll get tons of it anyway.

Xzeric

03-31-2011

Crit damage runes are horrible, up until end game, when Tryndamere rapes face anyways and runes are insignificant, armor pen does more.

I say crit chance if your specializing to him or arp if you want to envelope many champs.

e J

03-31-2011

Critical damage is way to go, most games last as long as 30-40+mins by then tryn has already bought dancing swords and an infinity edge, thats with 1-3 kills and some assists or even minion farmed. With your passive critical chance is no problem. Late game tryn's core items for me are dancing swords, infinity edge, last whisper, and maybe a life steal item. i usually hit squishes with critical damage runes with an average of 800 damage and with another bf sword item maybe bloodthirstier i hit squishes with a damage of 1200 and with tanks i hit 800 damage with bloodthirstier and last whisper

Xycoza

03-31-2011

i go for Arp red and quint with dodge yell and Mres blue.
playing trynd means being a carry,wich is for controlling late game. if you want good game start go play someone else. also getting to 50% crit [and you need no more considering passive combination with ult] is ez,takes 3 items wich you get real fast.also start him with knuckle thingy for 8% crit,adding passive at full health for 10% and 2% from talent you start with 20%,wich isn't that bad[and 2 pots to spare for health].

i agree he can be somewhat strong game start with crit chance,but its a gamble and against good enemys you won't get fed and it'll go to waste late game.

1 more thing,when i was playing in NA i was having caster rune only,wich proved to be quit handly for trynd Q healing,its ratio of scaling is 1:1 and you start with 15 ap from quints,you heal quit abit,realy good for lane lasting,combined with ap per lvl blue makes iteven usefull for endgame lasting a few hits after ult is down at end game,those crappy shot of turrets that you say **** i wish i had bit more health or if you need 1 more atk to finish off opponent.
it proved quit usefull for me as i was delaying life steal till 4-5 item

lVlr MaGoo

03-31-2011

i tryed to balance them so you have a higher chance of hiting a crit and it will do some damage at the beginning of the game towards the end ult in big groups and go to town with 1 hp and 100% crit chance

Ternce

03-31-2011

Armor pen, CD reduction, and HP. You can't go wrong with any physical champ who doesn't use mana with those runes.

A long time ago, someone mathed it out and you are still much much better going with Armor Pen than Crit Damage. Even on critical hits.

With your reds and quints being devoted to this, (31 Armor Pen out of the gate makes Tryndamere a boss, and your Yumu's and Stark's later on put you at 71 effective Armor Pen. Toss in a Last Whisper for giggles and your Right Arm is swinging that giant sword against bone) yellow and blue runes are "off" colors for Attack attributes, so you have to ask yourself what you're going to benefit more from:

6.3 % Crit Chance
12.6% Attack Speed
12.06 % Crit Damage
6.39 Bonus Attack Damage
14.22 Bonus Ability Power (1/1 Ratio on his spin and 1.5 Ratio on his heal per BL stack)
6.75% Dodge and 5.85% CD Reduction (Combination)
or
8.46% CD Reduction (All yellows and blues as flat CD reduction).

These numbers are going to be way off if they changed runes to work multiplicatively instead of additively for % increase, but at any rate they are all more or less negligible bonuses.

My advice? Go with Attack speed. It helps for Jungling. And Tryndamere is not only the Freljord sovereign, he is also a pretty decent jungler with a variety of start options that are equally effective. (Green potion, 5 heal potions, Smite/Ghost, or Green Potion, 5 heal potions Ignite/Ghost with a mastery point in Ignite for the 10 AP to boost the heal are the two most effective combinations).