[Guide] Taric, the Gem Knight

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Vangu

08-23-2009

Masteries
Offense
Archmages Savvy - 0.60AP per level
Cripple - Buffs Exhaust
Sorcery - 3% CD reduction

Defense
Mender's Faith - Increases Heal

Utility
Perseverance - 4% total health and mana regain
Good Hands - 10% reduced death time
Expanded Mind - 5% maximum mana
Meditation - Increases Mana regain
Quickness - Increased speed by 3%
Intelligence - 6% CD reduction
Presence Of The Master - 15% off summoner ability cooldowns

My masteries may change if they ever update the defensive mastery tree but at the moment I find utility is more useful.

Skills to increase:
Dazzle
Imbue
Shatter
Radiance

I always get Dazzle first because the odds that you get an early kill are really good if you are in a lane with a good starting DPS such as Jax or Yi. Imbue second for the simple fact that by level two there is a good chance you or your partner will need to be healed and shatter for the early armor bonus. After that as you can see I tend to increase the skill depending on who I am against. Such as if you are against melee you should raise shatter and imbue about even depending on who you are against. If you are against more of a nuke class I suggest trying to keep imbue up a bit to help heal though their damage and try to make them run out of mana before you have to run back to base. On radiance it is really up to you I personally think the first rank does what it needs to do and I focus more on getting imbue and shatter up.

Items
Heart of Gold
Heart of Gold
Frozen Heart
Ninja Tabi
Banshees veil or Guardian armor
(If you really need the buff from the veil get it if it is not a needed thing get guardian)
That is at my 30.-40min mark.... If your game ends up lasting for a while after you finish the guardian armor I would personally get warmogs armor as up to now you have no health regain other then your own spell and you will be around 2.5k life depending on mastery and runes (I can say a word on either as I have no runes) so the health and regain will make you amazing hard to kill let alone you will be coming back again. I am not sure if people plan it but I always seem to be the first to die maybe my ult and/or my heal...I am not sure but coming back once dead is a great thing. If your game lasts longer after warmogs I would spell both hearts of gold and get sunfire cape and aegis of the legion. Both are nice things to boost late game and are good cheap items to fill in the last spots...also by then the hearts of gold should have already paid for themselves plus some let alone selling them alone should be enough to finish the aegis if you happen to already have about 800 or so on you. So your items should look like:

30-40 mins in
Heart of Gold
Heart of Gold
Frozen Heart
Ninja Tabi

40+ mins in
Frozen Heart
Ninja Tabi
warmogs armor
sunfire cape
aegis of the legion

I know you wont get to finish this in many games but best to at least have a plan if you do get to this point.

Runes
Mana per level
cooldown reduction

Really with all my builds for support classes my rune set-up is the exact same.. but I will alter once we can get runes.

*List of all my guides http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...ad.php?t=18804

Disclaimer
This is not the only viable way to play Taric and is only how I do it and I am not forcing others to play this way. If you do not agree with a certain part of my guide/playstyle please post it in a mature manner and write exactly what you dislike. Also I am not looking for others to post their playstyle/guide in my guide if you wish to do so please make your own thread.

Praxi

08-23-2009

My only comment to add, I wouldn't take imbue first, unless your being overly aggressive. Shatter or Dazzle will both serve you better on initial lane push. And usually by the time you need imbue you will have leveled up anyways, so the other 2 can at least help you get gold, or scare off enemies.

benzooor

08-23-2009

I've been playing him very differently with pretty good results.

I go Shatter/Imbue/Dazzle/Shatter/Shatter/Radiance/Max Shatter/Imbue, then Dazzle last

Shatter is so ridiculously good - you can push incredibly well, and it does a lot of damage - the gem knight can be a really good hero killer / ganking buddy.

I usually go for Mana manipulator first, then the Sword for -cooldowns and the AP and atk speed - whatever I feel is necessary after that.

In general you are still playing a support role, but a more offensive one. Once you are level 8-10, if you can get golem buff your team can usually overwhelm the opponent with your ult channeling (almost) indefinitely. It's also great to take down towers - if you get a creep group with you that has a cannon, you can power through a tower very quickly.

When played in this way you can still support / heal your team, but be an offensive force to be reckoned with as well.

Ponies Gonna Pwn

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Adjudicator

08-23-2009

Seems counter-intuitive, but with damage/attack speed items/hybrids (like Stinger and Nashor's Tooth) you heal a LOT better and faster than with AP. The -CD on hit is a huge deal and can make you a much more efficient and flexible healer that's also capable of some soft DPS. Also, Gemknight's abilities don't scale too well aside from Imbue, either, because of sub 1 AP scales and long-ish cooldowns.

Vangu

08-23-2009

I take imbue first because most people don't always have heals and if you happen to go against a team that can get off some damage at the start I can heal the person in my lane or myself. Without heal they may have to go back to the base and heal and that is them losing exp. And the fact I level in the first wave or two and get dazzle helps too.

Redtah

08-23-2009

Playing Taric as support is simple, a lot simpler then reading all of that.

Skills:
1. Dazzle
2. Imbue
3. Imbue
4. Shatter
5. Imbue
6. Radiance
7. Imbue
8. Shatter
9. Imbue
10. Shatter
11. Radiance
12. Shatter
13. Shatter
14. Dazzle
15. Dazzle
16. Radiance
17. Dazzle
18. Dazzle

Items:
Fairie Charm
Boots
Tome of Power? Whatever the second item for Sorc Boots is
Sorc Boots
Mana Sapphire
Tear of Goddess
Chalice of Harmony
Chalice of Harmony
Chalice of Harmony
Chalice of Harmony

Playstyle: Lane with someone who doesn't suck, anyone with a nuke or slow or stun or anything. Actually it doesn't even matter as long as they don't suck.

Harrass with Dazzle and Heal your face off when you get shatter start nuking after each stun. Eventually you'll have ridiculous mana regen and enough mana to support your ultimate almost full time. Grab a golem buff if you want or just support your team full time.

What do you do if the game goes long enough to get better items since all the items I say to get are cheap? I don't know games don't last that long because Gemknight is 100% broken and needs to be nerfed into the ground like a Bright Wizard.

Hiiro Yui

08-23-2009

What the gem knight needs is an extre 3-4 seconds put on that stun, also a much higher mana cost on his ult.

the heal could do with a nerf, but that would just destroy the point in playing him.
a the removal of healing someone else + yourself tho is another thing that should be changed, the heal should be single target only.

Redtah

08-23-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by CidHighwind View Post
What the gem knight needs is an extre 3-4 seconds put on that stun, also a much higher mana cost on his ult.

the heal could do with a nerf, but that would just destroy the point in playing him.
a the removal of healing someone else + yourself tho is another thing that should be changed, the heal should be single target only.

the stun is already 2.5 seconds, how does it possible need to be higher????

There are few stuns on such a low cooldown that are as viable as Gemknights, it needs to scale with level not range. 2.5 should be the last level .5 should be the first so that one people have to actually decide if they want the stun or the nuke or the heal not all three.

The gemknight is broken in every way, he needs a substantial nerf.

Foreshadowed

08-23-2009

No Rod of Ages or Enervating Locket? You're doing something very wrong..

Vangu

08-23-2009

Dazzle is not needed at the start healing is depending on who you are laning with. You level in about 30secs or so then can get dazzle after you get imbue. And I wrote this for how I play and it works very very well. If you have a better build then make your own post...that is for the people making a guide in my guide. As for the comments in general on what items I get/dont get I take those into consideration and may try it out. But with the items I get I do very well and heal well.