Queue dodging ranked games

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lipsyncher

03-31-2011

I have a couple questions and the thread title is one of them. How come I get penalized for queue dodging a ranked game 3 different times? The first penalty is I get counted as a leaver. The second penalty is that I lose ELO. The third is that after the first 2 I still have to sit and wait for the timer to expire so I can even play another game. People don't seem to understand why I queue dodge games in the first place. When I'm playing a ranked game I don't want to play with a team that for one the team doesn't communicate on the character select screen. Also I don't like when the team decides not to pick a tank even though it was mentioned already (yes I do pick tanks when this happens, but when I'm first pick and the rest of the team doesn't pick a tank I'd rather not play). The third is I don't like not playing with a balanced team (such as the whole team is AD or AP). It's just stupid to the point where if the other team builds right you can't win.

The point I'm trying to make is that there shouldn't be multiple penalties for queue dodging before the match even starts. What should happen is those people that leave in the middle of a ranked game need to be penalized. I don't know how many people I've had to report for that and nothing happens.

The second question I wanted to ask is how is the ELO gain or loss determined. For example I played a match that was 61 min long and won. I went 12/5/9 with Nasus and gained +6 ELO points. Yet the very next game was 45 min I wend 6/6/15 with Sona and lost, but I lose -13 ELO. What determines how many points I gain or lose as far as ELO. I've had games where I went 2/0/21 with Soraka and lose -13 ELO and also I've gone 1/8/22 and win and gain +7. So can anyone tell me what determines this?

ForumsEqualsTras

03-31-2011

no

Ko Hakoo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-31-2011

1. They want to make it hurt for you to dodge ranked games. Players on the other team dont gain anything from a dodge, and have their time wasted. Part of the strategy of the game is picking, so if your team fails in champ select (no hard cc for example) you deserve to lose to the other team even if you dodge.

2. Elo is based on the premise that not all matchups are equal. Thus, it weights the matches differently based on how balanced the system believes they are. If you win a match that you were favored in, you gain a few. If you lose a match you were favored to win, you lose a lot. Etc... Individual performance means nothing, and should mean nothing because it is a team game.

Subdue

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-31-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipsyncher View Post
I have a couple questions and the thread title is one of them. How come I get penalized for queue dodging a ranked game 3 different times? The first penalty is I get counted as a leaver. The second penalty is that I lose ELO. The third is that after the first 2 I still have to sit and wait for the timer to expire so I can even play another game. People don't seem to understand why I queue dodge games in the first place. When I'm playing a ranked game I don't want to play with a team that for one the team doesn't communicate on the character select screen. Also I don't like when the team decides not to pick a tank even though it was mentioned already (yes I do pick tanks when this happens, but when I'm first pick and the rest of the team doesn't pick a tank I'd rather not play). The third is I don't like not playing with a balanced team (such as the whole team is AD or AP). It's just stupid to the point where if the other team builds right you can't win.

The point I'm trying to make is that there shouldn't be multiple penalties for queue dodging before the match even starts. What should happen is those people that leave in the middle of a ranked game need to be penalized. I don't know how many people I've had to report for that and nothing happens.

The second question I wanted to ask is how is the ELO gain or loss determined. For example I played a match that was 61 min long and won. I went 12/5/9 with Nasus and gained +6 ELO points. Yet the very next game was 45 min I wend 6/6/15 with Sona and lost, but I lose -13 ELO. What determines how many points I gain or lose as far as ELO. I've had games where I went 2/0/21 with Soraka and lose -13 ELO and also I've gone 1/8/22 and win and gain +7. So can anyone tell me what determines this?
The penalty is severe to prevent you from doing it. If it weren't so severe you (and others like you) would leave even more frequently, making queue times ridiculously long.

Elo gain/loss is determined by the cumulative elos of both teams. If the matchmaker expects you to win and you win, you get less. If it expects you to lose and a you win, you get more. The opposite is also true, if it expects you to lose and you lose, you lose less. If it expects you to win and you lose, you lose more. It also accounts for "unpredictable" games by reducing both gains and losses. Unpredictable games tend to occur when someone of a relatively high elo duo queues with someone of a relatively low elo, thus producing skewed teams.