Unable to Udyr Jungle That Well

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mewtits

03-31-2011

I'm not level 30 yet, so I don't have any runes or a lot of mastery points yet. But when I try to jungle I follow routes I have found online, but when I try what I see my health seems to drop faster then theirs, and they deal a lot more damage.

Like going wraiths(smite big one) then wolfs and then golems(smite is back up) I can sometimes kill one golem but generally have to run or else fear dying, and usually just get too far behind teammates in level.

XvongolaX

03-31-2011

With Udyr, you really need to be lvl 30 to jungle with him. I main him...

The runes you should have for Udyr are

Attack speed reds

Armor yellows if your cheap or dodge yellows if you have a lot of IP

Attack speed blues

Choice quints (i run flat health)

For masteries i go 0-21-9

Mewtits

03-31-2011

So in the mean time, before I'm 30 and have a bunch of runes what would you suggest to do?
Just laning with him instead?

Excitement

Recruiter

03-31-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mewtits View Post
So in the mean time, before I'm 30 and have a bunch of runes what would you suggest to do?
Just laning with him instead?
NEVER and I repeat... NEVER lane with Udyr. You don't absolutely require runes to jungle Udyr but they most definitely help alot.
They are necessary if you want a full clear without any trouble. If you can't Phoenix jungle like a pro, try out turtle jungling. Its 10x slower but its safe and all you literally have to do is spam turtle stance on buff camps and wraiths. When you are done clearing, you are good to go for a lane gank.

Jasflip

03-31-2011

It's completely possible without runes and masteries, you just need to be more careful. I find it easier with tiger/turtle combo prior to buying runes. Just imo.

Jesus Sama

03-31-2011

If you're having issues with jungling with Udyr, try using a different path. Also, what are your starting items? Make sure to start with Cloth Armor x 5 pots.

Typically, I'll start at Blue, and if you can't take blue down, ask top/bot to help tether (first attack) Blue so you can take it down. Blue gives CDR and Mana regen, which is important as it lets you put up Turtle's shield as often as possible, while using either Tiger or Phoenix. As you get closer to level 30 and have a rune page devoted to Udyr, you'll be able to solo Blue at level 1. You'll get a bit lower on HP, but you'll take it out quickly.

Also, if you're going Tiger route, put more points into offensive. I use 20-0-10, personally, as I don't think the last point into offensive is as important as getting more vital time with buffs.

Umbral Fox

03-31-2011

At level 11, you're going to find it pretty hard to jungle with Udyr.

If you're going to try anyway, I'd go 1/0/10, with the 1 in improved Smite. If you find you still can't, then you can remove Utility Mastery to put points in the defense tree's armor buff -- but Utility Mastery is pretty key for Udyr.

You have two options: the safe start or the quick start. Either way, at your level, you should go with cloth armor and 5 pots. At level 30 Udyr has different start options, but don't worry about that now. You can go with either tiger or phoenix stance first.

The safe start can be soloed. Choose wraiths or wolves. If wolves, activate your stance, pop a pot, and autoattack them down. If wraiths, smite the big wraith, then stance/pot/aa. Go to wolves/wraiths, whichever you didn't do yet, and handle the same way. Level turtle stance. Go to mini golems, activate stance, pop pot, autoattack, swap to turtle to recover a bit, swap back to damage stance to finish them off. Smite if possible. Recall, buy a long sword and maybe another pot or two if you need it, repeat. Once you get Madred's razors or (preferably) Wriggle's lantern, take buffs.

The quick start will require your teammates to help. Start at blue golem, have them help kill (probably will need more than just a one-hit kite at your level). If necessary, have them kill the small lizards -- it'll drain some of your xp, but you may have to live with that. Once you have blue, you can jungle much more easily -- wolves, wraiths, mini golems. If you head back to wolves, you may be able to repeat without recalling. Repeat until you have razors/lantern, then take red.

On the plus side, at your level, you'll probably be able to take the enemy jungle creeps without much opposition, which can make things easier on you. Notably, you can take their blue when your blue wears off.

fatrend

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-31-2011

Make sure you take the right masteries getting all the damage reduction in Defense and bonus exp in utility.

Fatwa

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-31-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodeuss1990 View Post
NEVER and I repeat... NEVER lane with Udyr. You don't absolutely require runes to jungle Udyr but they most definitely help alot.
They are necessary if you want a full clear without any trouble. If you can't Phoenix jungle like a pro, try out turtle jungling. Its 10x slower but its safe and all you literally have to do is spam turtle stance on buff camps and wraiths. When you are done clearing, you are good to go for a lane gank.
Spoken like a true jungler who can't lane. Lane Udyr is inherently harder than Jungle Udyr, which is why popular belief is that you cannot lane effectively with him.

He's quite potent in the lane, and it amuses me to no end that people still consider him unable to lane. Now, they've gotten it in their heads that not jungling with Udyr is a detriment to the team. This is shortsighted. There is no reason another champion couldn't Jungle, with Udyr taking bot lane. By taking bot lane, you can capitalize on essentially having a packaged counter-jungle/dragon killer. If you know where the enemy jungler is (dead/ganking another lane), you can keep your jungler active (ganking/jungling) while stealing their jungle creeps, or killing dragon.

With your Jungler visible or ganking, it creates a situation where you can dupe someone into thinking you're back out fountain, while you're actually devastating their jungle and/or Dragon.

Again, it's harder to Lane with Udyr than Jungle, which is why there are so many known 'failed' attempts at Lane Udyr. If 2% of Udyr's can lane effectively, naturally you'll have 98% of all Udyr players slamming Lane Udyr because in their experience, they cannot.

Incoming mass downvotes from shortsighted Jungle Udyr players.

For the record, I've played a very large variety of Udyr styles, including but not limited to Phoenix Jungle, Turtle Jungle, Tiger Jungle, DPS Lane Udyr, Tank Lane Udyr, Ganker Udyr, Tanker Udyr, CC/Support Udyr.

Umbral Fox

03-31-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatwa View Post
He's quite potent in the lane, and it amuses me to no end that people still consider him unable to lane. Now, they've gotten it in their heads that not jungling with Udyr is a detriment to the team.
He's not unable to lane, but he is relatively weak in lane. And not jungling with Udyr is a detriment to the team.

It's detrimental because a) Udyr is among the strongest junglers overall, and b) Udyr is a mediocre laner whose position in a lane could be better filled by Irelia/Xin/Renekton/Sion/Warwick/Jarvan, among others. It's not that Udyr can't lane, it's that many other champs bring more to a lane than he does, while very few champs bring more as a jungler than he does.