Super Pro tips for your average LoL player

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PRPatxi

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-30-2011

I like a lot these tips but I have a serious problem. My last matches in the past two weeks most of them have been lost due to: we either have One or two feeders, a leaver and sometimes everything mixed together. In my last match there was a twitch that was enjoying feeding a blitz he went 2/17 the kills where ks, a Nocturne that left the game at lv 2 with 0/3 and a temmo on mid that just didn't do a thing. Only me (Morgana) and Warwick where killing them and doing damage. but both of us didn't stand a chance against the 5 of them vs the 2 of us, specially a fed blitz and a fed heimer.

I think the outcome of the game is decided on how your team plays and not if theres a pro on the team.

Muffinsong

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-30-2011

where the "buy T3 runes set before you buy all the champs tip"?

"why am I in ELO hell?"
"Lets look at your profile ..... hmmmm. ... you have 1 armor pen Quint ..."

Ihaspotpies

03-30-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXecuteX View Post
Oh I totally forgot... Bonus tips time:

If you're not in it for the lulz, you're not playing pro LoL.

1. Righty tighty, lefty Lucy.
2. If the glove don't fit, you must acquit.
3. Thumb-up if you like something, Thumb-down if you hate something, don't vote if you are indifferent.
4. Saying "inc twitch" is worse than pinging a perfectly straight line of pings toward your ****** teammates.
5. If you don't have ventrilo, teamspeak, and/or mumble installed, you probably will not get good in this game.
6. If you think, you can become good just by practice (without supplemental research/videos/talking/discussing). I have some 1000+ win level 30s just dying to give you advice because they still suck.
7. Stop asking stupid questions to experts in IRC.
8. Want to win your next court case? Watch law and order. Want to win your next game? Watch a clg stream.
9. Want to get to 2000 real fast? Hire a korean.
#1 and #2 were amazing, sir. I lol'ed.

LordHippoman

03-30-2011

Tips From A Level 15 Noob

1. Tanklesticks was NOT a good idea.
2. Make sure you're safe before you start moving your screen around to watch your allies. Because while you're watching Sion Vs. Sion, Yi and Corki might be beating the hell out of you.
3. If it looks like free kills on the low health Tristana, Garen WILL BE in the bushes.
4. Pay attention to additional effects of skills. Did you know Vlad's E attack powers up his health regen/health steal with his Q? And that it stacks up to 4 times? Now you do.
5. Don't rage at your teammates. I have never seen a game where the guy yelling "GOD MY TEAM IS SO NOOOOB" in /all chat wins.
6. Only chase when you know you'll get back safely. For all you know that Veigar you're rushing is about to turn around and Event Horizon your face.
7. Just because someone has a bad K/D doesn't mean they aren't helping the team.
8. Seriously, Tanklesticks was a bad idea.
9. /dance'ing in the bushes before the minions arrive is kinda fun, but ready your skillshot in case Jarvan comes tearing towards you.
10. Develop a good laning relationship with your partner. For example, Ryze's Rune Prison makes it easy to land Make It Rain with Miss Fortune.
11. You'll have a bad match sometimes. Don't sweat it.
12. Team Fight is a good time for you to shine. Tanks in front, carries in back, fun had by all.
13. Experiment, experiment, experiment. You might find surprisingly devastating Item/Champ builds. But do it in Co-Op Vs. AI, so if it epically screws up, well, that's ok.
14. IF YOU CAN ACTUALLY PLAY TANKLESTICKS WELL, I tip my hat to you.
15. Don't be that guy who whines about KS. It's a team game.

Nile Strom

02-20-2012

5. Don't rage at your teammates. I have never seen a game where the guy yelling "GOD MY TEAM IS SO NOOOOB" in /all chat wins.

All who break this rule shall feel the fiery pain of ELO HELLLLLL!!!

X Zippy X

02-20-2012

Personal Tips:

1) For your first 100 games, random every time. Seriously.

The goal here is to familiarize yourself with all of the heros, not only playing them but also playing against them in every combination. In order to understand what you can get away with you must understand the heros. To do this, you must play them. Avoid no one, play every combination. The goal is to learn and learn fast. The goal isn't about winning or losing. You are purely collecting data. The more you know, the smarter you play.

I came from years of Dota prior to playing LOL. While the format is nearly identical, the mechanics are completely different, as are the heros. Along with patch changes, heros keep evolving. For the first 80 or so games I played, I randomed a good 95% of the time. It was all about learning everybody and learning how to play everybody against everybody.

2) LOL relies HEAVILY on teamwork. Some games allow you to get away with solo play, doing your own thing, and still doing well overall for yourself and your team. LOL by design is not this way. It will punish both you and your team for your lack of team support. You will die often and you not being with your team will promote their deaths and your overall loss. If it's after 30 minutes, solo farming is over. It's ALL a team game from here on out till one side wins.

Like I said, there are games that allow a person to solo and be effective overall. First person shooters are often this way. Dota was this way quite significantly so. LOL is NOT...at all. Solo works fine for the first 20-30 minutes, farm and farm well. After, you're only screwing over your team by not being a team player. You will lose many more games playing the solo route. I've played in the neighborhood of 2500 LOL games so far, a few, and I could say that 1/3 to 1/2 of all my losses were completely influenced by my teams lack of teamwork.

3) Play to win. I can't stress this enough. Play with the sole goal to finish the game and win.

What do I mean by this? Well simply put, don't waste time. Don't be inefficient towards the real end goal of the game. The whole point of the game is to destroy their base. If you are not doing something that directly influences that goal, you are doing something wrong.

Examples of wrong would be farming for the same of farming with no actual intention to push and take out towers. An example of wrong would be hero chasing and going for hero kills but not actual game wins. Another example would be killing 4 of the other team, having 4 of your team remaining, and running off to kill some creeps rather then end the game.

I've lost so SO many games due to the simple fact that teammates were not in the game to complete the game. When your focus is not to win, you will not win. Act with intent, and that intent better be winning. The worst offense is wasting time. People get so comfortable in a game where they've had an easy start that then without knowing it give the game away. This happens a LOT. To understand why this is so bad, you need to understand the game's mechanics. The way the game mechanics are set up is that if you get ahead early game, you will stay ahead till around 30-40 minutes. The 20-40 minute range is where kills matter and team lead is a big deal. After 40 minutes, the game evens out. Why? Because all players reach level 18 and all players gain enough gold to buy many high end items. You can have a heavily offset 5-60 for team scores, and if you give that 5 kill team enough time, they will destroy you in the end and there's nothing you can do about it. You can't level more. You can't buy more. I think my most one sided game was one on the order of 13-80, me being on the 13 side. Myself and a couple friends were quite literally feeding the other team. We knew we had the win, and we'd just die over and over. The other team didn't want to finish the game. They just dinked around. 15 minutes would go by and we'd give them 30 kills, THIRTY kills. We just kept giving it to them. The game ended up lasting about 80 minutes. Well, by then everyone's maxed out on items and are just sitting on gold. All the kills, all the deaths, they all mean nothing. In the end, it's just comes down to which team doesn't mess up first. Whichever side has better team play wins and everything you did for the last 80 minutes means absolutely nothing. We had the game won for the last 40 minutes, but they kept touting their greatness. We knew better and played into it. It didn't matter. Everyone was maxed out on everything, and we both had a better mix of heros and skill (contrary to the appearance of the score). They finally pushed, and we just rolled them. Ace, not one teammate died, and we just walked it in the for the win.

Moral of the story? Take advantage of your lead when you have it, because if you give it away, you can never get it back. The mechanics of this game does not allow it. Play to win. Play efficiently. Play to finish.

4) Know your roles. Tanks - play the tank. DPS play the dps. Nukers - nuke everything!

This isn't a hard concept, but it's one people often forget. Because this is a team game, it requires good teamwork. LOL is heavily biased towards team play and rewards team play heavily. Know and playing your intended roles helps out the team and ultimately wins the game.

Tanks, you have one job. You are a meat shield for your dps. You do everything in you power to take hits away from your squishy teammates and onto you. You do everything in your power to crowd control and keep enemy players off your teammates. You are there to get in the way and stay in the way...till you die. You are MEANT to die. I will repeat this. As a tank, you exist to get hit and very likely die. K/D is not important. All that is important is that you pull hits away from your teammates. This lets your hitters do their job effectively and destroy the other team. Stay near your teammates, never chase. You are the body guards of your team. Act it.

DPS, you are there to do one thing: shoot. Shoot, shoot, shoot, and never stop. You are your team's damage output. Any time you are not firing away, you are not helping your team. Attack and don't stop. Don't worry much about getting attacked. Your tanks are there to play defense for you. Now this doesn't mean play stupidly. Don't run out front and get nuked to death. The tanks can only do so much for you. Position yourself smartly. Move when you need to, but for the love of all that is LOL, keep, keep shooting. Team fights are all about total damage output, and that damage rests on your shoulders. Oh, and DO NOT EVER SHOOT THE TANKS. Aim for their dps and nukers. Take them down first always. Ignore the tanks. Once their heavy hitters are dead, then you can aim for the tanks and drop them, or not. It really doesn't matter. They can't defend well alone anyways, so you can push their base and have them watch helplessly.

Nukers, the casters of the dark arts. You play the same role as the DPS. You are a little more specialized though. Because your damage is infrequent, you must use your spells smartly. Pick good times to use area spam. Pick good times to stun or slow. Don't sit back and wait for the perfect opportunity that will never happen either. Spam who you can, but be smart. The goal for you is to make all of your infrequent nukes be as effective as they can be for the overall battle. Also, for the love of all that is LOL, please, please, PLEASE use physical attacks in between spell casts. Yes, you don't do much damage, but any damage is good damage. Don't run around doing nothing. Don't ever do this. Always output damage, anything you can, as continuously as you can. Nuke when available, auto attack everywhere else. Your damage matters. All damage matters when it comes to the overall outcome of the fight.

Ok, that's enough for now. I know, a pile of text. Gasp.

Emn1ty

02-20-2012

You forgot some things:

21) If you are jungling and a lane is doing poorly, that is NOT an excuse to avoid ganking it.
22) If you are jungling, ganking a lane doesn't always mean getting a kill. Pressure in a lane can keep teammates alive, not just kills.