Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Atma's Yi Build

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ScorpioRage

03-29-2011

For those of you that don't know a decent way to build Yi is getting a Warmogs as your first or second item, getting Atma's and then going to town. You're a lot less squishy than a normal Yi, but can deal a fair amount a damage. The downside of this is that your early game isn't as strong seeing as how you don't have a ton of damage output until you get your 3rd item. Unless you have a terrible team you should easily be able to at least get Warmogs, Boots, Atma's, and one more item. This is where my question comes to play.

For the 4th-6th items what would people say the best options would be?

Usually I go for Phantom Dancer but after doing this for a few games am wondering if there are better items to get. Some that I'm contemplating are:

- Stark's Fervor
- Frozen Mallet
- Madred's Bloodrazor
- The Bloodthirster
- Black Cleaver

5th item would be a survival item depending on enemy team composition. 6th I am thinking either IE, One of the items from the prior list, or another survival item.

What would people say for the 4th and 6th item slots?

MrVaas

03-29-2011

4th phatom dancer for speed then 6th black clever for those tanks. 5th depend on champs if more melly champs thornmail. magic fon or bv

ComradeHX

03-29-2011

Quote:
liluski:
4th phatom dancer for speed then 6th black clever for those tanks. 5th depend on champs if more melly champs thornmail. magic fon or bv

Against actual tanks, Last whisper is much better.

But in that list of items, I would get Starks(yi already has damage steroid skill + damage/crit from Atmas; he could use some more attackspeed and lifesteal + armor debuff from Starks).

ldfhndfjkndh

03-29-2011

Sickk. More people are getting into tanky Yi. I use this build all the time. Yi is my third most played champ in ranked with a 60% win rate, and I play him as 'tank Yi' almost every game.

First off, it's important to note that, while tank Yi is no doubt much stronger and contributive to team fights than dps yi is late game, he takes MUCH longer to build up. One of the advantages of dps yi is that you get Youmuu's first, which makes you an absolute beast mid game. Just as with Tryndamere, tanky Yi is a god late game, but you, and your team, needs the patience to wait for the 40 minute mark and have you own.

As for the build...Here's my build. The core is Zerk Boots, Wriggle's, Warmog's, Youmuu's, Atma's, in that order. Later, I'll get Frozen Mallet, Banshee's, then sell Wriggle's for a Bloodthirster. I'll get a Last Whisper instead of Bloodthirster if douchbags are stacking armor. Spells are Ghost/Exhaust (yes, I jungle without Smite. It's much slower, but it works out much better mid-late game).

Phantom Dancer is inefficient unless you plan to have your build revolve around crit. Stark's is a solid choice, but you already get a good amount of attack speed from your ult and Youmuu's. Madred's is a no-no for Yi, attack speed builds never work on melee champs. Black Cleaver is a fine item if you want both attack and attack speed, but it's not really the best late game item. And Frozen Mallet is a must on any AD Yi build; the survivability, synergy with Atma's, and the slow is simply OP. And Bloodthirster, as I said, is a fine late game replacement for Wriggle's.

Also, try to leave your last slot open, if you can, to buy wards and such. There's always that chance that your tank is an idiot and thinks getting a third Warmog's as soon as possible is more important than map awareness.

Anyways, that's my two cents.

Happy slaughtering!

serverny

03-30-2011

You all noobs and need to uninstall LOL, only viable build for Yi is 6 Phantom Dancers.

Suuperdad

03-30-2011

If youmuu's is part of the tank yi build, why not get it first? Yi doesn't have squishy issues until the 25ish min mark. You can get your warmogs THEN. It's not like he will have a problem stacking it, he farms like a beast.

Anytime I go tank Yi, I go:

Quick Wriggles to counter-jungle/dragon support/regen HP/Push lanes
Mercs
Youmuu's

Up to this point it's a traditional Yi build, and very very strong midgame.

Then if I decide to go tank Yi I'll go:

Banshees
Warmogs
Atmas

If I need to get even tankier, at this point you can consider selling Youmuu's for Frozen Mallet.

The thing I really like about Youmuu's though is that it's a LOT of dps in a small package, and it really helps you farm up midgame. If you go tank too early (such as rushing warmogs - which is very bad IMO), you run the risk of completely stalling out your farm and midgame dominance. You can still play tank Yi and go Youmuu's first. Infact, I'd say you are officially tank yi as soon as you buy the giants belt after completing youmuu's.

Also... as far as completing items... after you make your Youmuu's, you shouldn't feel like you need to finish each item before getting pieces. For example, in most games, after I get my youmuu's, I should actually get pieces of the other items... For example, around the 25 min mark, my items will look like this:

Wriggles
Mercs
Youmuu's
Giants Belt
Negatron Cloak
Chain Armor

is what you should be looking like... THEN complete the various pieces. Obviously if you need a quick banshees (say vs Karthas), then do that, but most cases, I'll finish Youmuu's then get Neg/Chain/Giant, order depends on enemy team comp and who is carrying them at that point in the game.

I think rushing the quick HP + MR + Armor for midgame tankiness is much stronger than say finishing warmogs or banshees slightly faster.

Majulio

03-30-2011

Ditch that atma's right now... you're better off with bloodthirster. You'll get only 66 damage from atma's passive, so, unless you plan on taking 2 warmogs, or plan to get atma's afet Frozen mallet, there's many items that improve your damage output a lot more.

My build when i used to go tank Yi was:

Wriggles, Zerkers, Warmog, Ghostblade, Stark's, Frozen Mallet, then sell Wriggles for Bloodthirster, Black Cleaver, Atma's or Last Whisper.

My Semi-Tank Yi build:

Wriggles, Zerkers, Frozen Mallet, Ghostblade, Starks, Warmog, then sell Wriggles for a Bloodthirster.

Suuperdad

03-30-2011

I wouldn't get a bloodthirster without a phantom dancer. Yi already has a passive AD increase. Bloodthirster gives more AD which isn't optimal in increasing his DPS. If you do the math, it's optimal to get your AD to roughly 250 or so then focus on AS and crit.

A tank build should only have 1 true dps item and a dps build should only have 1 tank item, or else you are trying to do too many things and do neither of them very well.

If you are building tank, build tank. (Atmas, Warmogs, Banshees, possibly Mallet and Youmuu's for some dps).
If you are building DPS, build DPS (Youmuu's, Starks, Pdancer, IA, and Banshees for some def)

Dunkstiks

03-30-2011

if your gonna go the tank yi route. I would say:
Boots (pick which one u need most)
Warmogs
Atmas
Frozen heart
Banshees
Phantom dancer or Sword of the divine

Reason: your first 5 items are essential to the build because they have "use" in basically every game. and will increase that hp to boost ur dmg for atmas, I say phantom or Sword as the last because of the high attack speed and relative use, sword's use effect is nice for the extra ArP and no RNG PoS dodges. while phantom will give u some crits / MS. PS double attack does in fact add into the counts for swords 4 attack proc. not to mention the proc is magic dmg meaning that armored up malphite is gonna be taking some magic dmg for once.