How do I jungle?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Scooch

03-29-2011

How do I jungle? I saw someone get cloth armor and 5 health potions so I did that and went to the wolf creeps on Ashe but died. I got the volley spell so I can hit them all at once.

TheCowGoes

03-29-2011

The crux of the problem might be that you tried jungling with Ashe, but honestly I have no idea if that works or not. :P I wouldn't guess so.

90% of the jungler guides you will ever come up with will tell you you need the runes/masteries to jungle them properly: this generally means ArPen/AS reds, Armor yellows, your choice of glyphs, your choice of Quints (or needs armor/Arpen, depends on character.) Having at least one point in Awareness in the utility line means that you can finish the Ancient Golem buff and level up, which makes it a delicious choice. Taking the spell mastery for smite can help too, as it gives gold and lowers its CD. Buff extensions are also nice if you can get them, but on a general note I like to go up the defensive mastery tree or hybrid of offensive/defensive.

Characters that are good junglers can clear camps fast and heal themselves, generally at the same time. Nunu, for example, with his 500+ damage consume self-heal excels at this. A lot of them start at blue (ancient golem) buff for CDR and mana regen, clear the camps to lvl 4-6, then gank with red (lizard buff). Thus, anyone with a good early game damage output/stuns/slows also make good junglers.

Some popular junglers:
Nunu, Warwick, Udyr, Amumu, <-- Most seen. These guys move *fast* through their jungle route and are generally useful all game. You want an excellent jungler, you take one of these. Udyr and Amumu's jungling prowess and sucky laning phases makes a JungleMumu that much more powerful, and a laning Udyr is just not heard of. :/ Too much skill needed, not enough benefit, generally. Warwick is an excellent beginner jungler (or so I've heard, never used him personally) because he jungles at a high health total and is therefore more "forgiving" of mistakes and much safer. Nunu is also an excellent beginner jungler, but he's different in that he relies on a more bursty approach to minion camps. It takes nerves of steel and good timing to be a good Nunu jungler at first without any runes.

Master Yi, Tryndamere, Sion <-- Notable, and Master Yi certainly dominates out of these three as a jungler, but not seen nearly as much because their laning phases can be just as good or are better.

Trundle: (also an excellent jungler, but practically unheard of so I don't know where he falls)
Nocturne: (Excellent jungler, but for some reason most go with a laning phase in normal games.)
Fiddlesticks:One of the few with the "Jungler" tag. Again, a lot of people choose his laning phase but I've seen decent jungle Fiddles before. His fear+ulti combo makes him one heck of a ganker.

Others that *can* jungle (or so I've heard):
Dr. Mundo (*might* be able to jungle, but his laning phase is better.)
Cho'Gath (Like Mundo, you're better off laning 9/10 times.)
Evelynn: (Can jungle, but her power is generally lackluster against an organized team. I wouldn't recommend Eve much.)

In Review:
Pick a good jungler and read a guide or two, get familiar with his style, play a game to make a route, get some runes to help you jungle (Armor yellows are crucial for most junglers), and have at it. Jungling is unique in that you kind of rise or fall by your own hand, it's much less forgiving then laning in general.

longclaw

03-29-2011

you forgot about shaco op

Lancefighter

03-29-2011

Ashe is the worst jungler. I mean, seriously.

Warrrax

03-30-2011

Jungling is done by champs with the following characteritics:

a) usually melee as range doesnt matter when jungling. Melee tends to have higher damage and attack speed naturally and are tougher.

b) Some innate way to heal, usually through a passive on-hit or lifesteal, but sometimes an active heal. A damage shield also effectively heals (like malphites passive)

c) Ability to hit multiple creeps is nice to have, preferably on a lower cooldown.

d) A damage booster of some kind. For example, a spammy nuke spell or maybe an attack speed passive, or an attack damage booster over time, or something. One example is Win Zhao with a 15% AS passive that can be boosted to 30%. He also has the poke which resets autoattack timer and adds damage.

e) The champ is typically not as good at laning. This doesnt have to be the case but it is perceived to be better to have a lousy laning champ jungling (like amumu), as opposed to a solid laner like Malphite...who jungles fine but also lanes well.

serverny

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-30-2011

Go to youtube, search "stonewall008" - find his channel - watch guides and ESPECIALLY "mindset of a jungler" series.

And ashe is not a jungler, never was and never will be.