Tiamat: Is It Ever Good?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TurtleTug

09-06-2012

I don't post on forums often, but I thought this would be an interesting question that was probably asked hundreds of times before, but here goes:

Tiamat:

Is it ever useful or good? Is it just an under used item that is actually pretty good but since pros haven't messed with it, its not used? Or is it just trash? If its that bad... why do you think Riot hasn't made it more appealing?

Thanks for your comments!

Ur little sister

09-06-2012

Niche item really. Usually bad.
Fiora, Twitch.

TurtleTug

09-06-2012

Why do you think it exists then? What is a way that Riot could make it better?

FaerellG

09-06-2012

To make it viable?

Increase the splash range so that you actually hit people who aren't standing on top of one another (kayle splash range would be good), then make the effect Unique so you can't do crazy stacking. It'll still be amazing on a champ like Shyvana and Fiora, but it's no longer something insane like 300% damage to splash victims (then multiplying by 10 for a Shyvana hit that hits multiple targets and minons) Instead, you'd have like 50% multiplied by 10. Still incredibly strong, but no longer an instant-kill.

TurtleTug

09-06-2012

Thanks for the replies! I just seems like a cool passive. Wish it was more viable. I remember in another game similar to LoL (dont want to mention it on forums. I love LoL!) where you could use an item with a similar mechanic to great effect.

So what are more champs that could use it? It seems like a solo top/ jungle item... so hmm...

Talon
Yorick
Shyvana
Sej
Fiora
Twitch (only adding it because someone posted it above, though I dont fully understand why. Maybe with his ulti?)
Lee Sin
Irelia
Darius
Garen

Any other champs come to mind? Which of the above probably shouldnt be on the list? Sej probably shouldnt be since she has no AD scaling... hmm. Its an interesting discussion nonetheless!

FaerellG

09-06-2012

Ezreal is a prime candidate for Tiamat. He lacks innate pushing power because his Q and E are both single target, and using an Ulti for pushing purposes only seems wasteful.

Tiamat with enhanced splash would also make Ezreal's poke more reliable with Q, since he'd be able to Q a minion and splash the opponent standing next to that minion.

Currently though the splash radius is too small to be effective. If Tiamat was buffed in this way, it'd be pretty cool though.

Jesot

09-06-2012

Would Sivir's abilities proc it?

Kaydence

09-06-2012

I used to always run it on my shaco. Good for jungling, great since he falls off later.

FaerellG

09-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesot View Post
Would Sivir's abilities proc it?
No. I assume you're talking about the bounces off Ricochet. Those have not ever proced on hit effects. That would be incredibly broken.
The initial it will activate On-Hit though. Just like always.

Sauzeles

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-06-2012

I think Sej should not be on that list; her AAs are not where her damage come from, so It just don't make sense for her.

I used to use this on Pantheon a lot. I found the mana regen on an AD item where excellent for letting me stay in lane forever. I found it also helped farm a lane quickly. I stopped using it when I was lower level and someone made fun of me for using it. (DONT LET SOMEONE DO THIS TO YOU! :*[ )

As others have said, the splash range is WAY too small. For instance, if you have 3 minions "shoulder to shoulder", and you attack one of the end ones, the one on the other end will be outside the range. I tried throwing this on Malphite at one point to synergize with his W. However, I found malph's splash range was good, but the tiamat's was not.

A way I would recommend this being fixed is to increase the range on the splash. However, a 200 splash radius might be too large for ranged characters, but Kayle's 150 radius might be good. So, make the splash radius larger, but I feel you can make it even larger for melee characters. 150 splash range for ranged, 200 for melee.