Ryze'in above the rest [Guide]

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

nicosharp

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-16-2010

DISCLAIMER!:
Ryze is not for the faint of heart, or the squimishly squishy. If you play him 1 of two things will happen in your games. You will either 1) Dominate, or 2) be crushed so hard you can not even count the time you were penetrated. (I mean spell pen of course!)

Also, if you want to play the best Mage Burst in the game, play: veigar.
If you want to play the best Mage Stun/AOE in the game, play: Annie.
If you want to play the best Mage CC and AOE in the game, play: Fiddle.
If you want to play the best Ranged Mage, play: Anivia or Karthus.
For everyone else play Ryze, he is pretty much not going to fit in the best of any category except for "most annoying high single target burst champ that will lock you in place while you stare at him waiting to graze him once so he pops," champion.

Intro:
Ryze is the glass-cannon Barney colored, giant blunt smoking, tattooed freak of brush/bush loving burst damage that I have come to enjoy. It must be noted that Ryze is Deadily. It must also be noted that Ryze is severly limited by his range, health and mobility. Ryze must be blind, or near blind, because he either is using those giant scrolls on his back to roll the biggest blunts in the world, or is more blind then your girlfriend after bukkake, and needs Gragas to write letters on his scrolls by dipping his belly in body paint. This explains his short range, and why you need to be very careful hug the bush he loves, and attack from the back like a true azz-azz-in does.

If you do this well your opponents will cry:
OMGWTFBBQ QQ TT WWJD HAX BOT BS ALT+F4 /Wrist /Quit /Surrender

And you will scream:
OWND! OWND! OWND! Imma BOSS, PAYCHECK, GTFO, LOL, YOU GOT FLUX"D! or I FLUX'D Your entire team. and you can add - 'in da azz' for good merit.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*** New Experimental build, has worked very well in 5 man premade higher skilled games so far:
skills: R>E>W>Q
1 - E (or Q - you will have a nice early benefit from 10% mana pool for very early game harrassment with sapphire as first item, however spell flux generally does more and pressures the lane)
2 - W
3 - E
4 - W
5 - E
6 - R
7 - Q then R>E>W>Q

Masteries: I know this is odd, but we want 10-7-13
10 = spell pen and ignite,
7 = strength of spirit (it is good)
13 = Ghost, and mana pool/mana regen/mana+hp regen + longer minion buffs

Summoner skills obv - Ghost and Ignite

Item build:
1 - Start with Sapphire Crystal and 2 HP pots
2 - Tear of the Goddess + Boots
3 - Catalyst the Protector
4 - Mobility Boots
5 - Archangel's Staff
6 - Don't forgot to stack CD Reduction - Frozen Heart - Blue Potion - Nashor's Tooth - My recommendation is Frozen Heart
7 - Whatever (These items can change order, this is more about maxing your mana pool to improve your overall late game build - Archangel's staff is awesome, and tear with an early catalyst will be all the mana you will ever need between blue buff and base trips.)
I don't know what build I like best yet, I try to get glacial stone early in this build to get a decent CDR as I dont have CDR through the utility tree or runes. Spell Flux first seems to be the best skill for ganking in a side lane. As lvl 1 prison just tickles and snares for only .4 secs.

On to the guide***
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~

Level progression Skill Priority:
R>W>E>Q (you want 1 point in each - Q/W/E by lvl 3 for burst attempts/early ganks)
looks like this by lvl:
1 - W (gank helper)
2 - E (great on dual melee lane harassment)
3 - Q (helps when coordinating burst, or just harassing with your mana pool)
4 - W (extra time in prison = bad for them, great for ganking - at lvl 4 you are ready to coordinate a lane kill)
5 - W
6 - R (game overman, idiots that approach = free kills - now go buy a soulstealer fast, get golem buff, and start the bush farming)
7 - Decide here to Max W, or Max E, then follow the above.

Masteries: 9-0-21
(you want Archaic Knowledge, and I prefer to get Experience gain over Mana pool in Utility - not a big fan of Overload as you can see. I typically also pass on Greed, and put 2 points in improved buffs to keep the blue golem buff up a bit longer)

Summoner Skills:
Flash + Ghost

Runes:
AP Quints, AP per level blues, Mana Regen per level golds, Magic Pen reds.

Item build:
Doran's Ring* + 1 hp Pot*
Mejai's Soulstealer*
Boots --> Merc's or Sorc's* depending
Haunting Guise or Lich's Bane*
Deathfire's Grasp or Banshee's Veil
Ryail's Scepter* or Zhonya's Ring*

*is what I prefer to get to max burst - Bolded is what is probably best to purchase for most people

(Other nice items to have - Archangel's Staff/Frozen Heart)

Best Champion Partner's for Ryze:
This is more game make-up then lane, but I think Ryze's best counter part in LOL is Karthus. With a Good Spell Flux volley, Karthus can just pick up the pieces with his Ultimate. The combo is dirty, yet sick/awesome.
Alistar also rocks, He rocks in general, but the stun and headbutt make it easier for you to initiate from saftey.
Blitz fits here also, but its rare to find a decent blitz that actually hits his grabs.. QFT!.

Quick Tips-
-Play like a complete puss from lvls 1-5, you can do early ganks with a decent stun/dps in lane, but will have trouble adding dps until around lvl 4. So use your mana conservatively and focus on early game last hitting.

-Let others initiate

-Gank from Brush or bait others to brush

-Overload (Q) got quite the nerf, because of this, I give much less thought to maxing Mana, as it typically leads to less overall AP throughout the game, and Spell Flux just does way more damage anyways with the buff to it.

-Use Ult to farm lanes also with Spell Flux = cash money money!

-It has been noted that Summoner Skills also effect Passive cooldown (may need further testing with all skills - Ignite works)

-To Burst own people, start just in range of someone with (R), and follow with (W), (Q). (E). Most people say to start with (W), but I prefer the added AP/AOE damage (R) gives to Rune Prison, rather than waiting around for Rune Prison to recharge a bit faster.

-You can speed up the passive of key skills by starting burst with (Q) (W) or (E) before hitting R, If you hit R after you cast (Q) (W) or (E) the damage will still get the AOE and AP buff. This may help you get in more than 1 volley while the ultimate is going.

-Spell Flux can often make their team QQ, if you use teamwork against them, you can often just get your AP fat and then (R)+(E) them, and watch them die. Sometimes I stop lvling Rune Prison at 3, and max Spell Flux first, if I notice my lane and their team hugging a lot in general. Make them pay for their happy-go-lucky co-dependent ways.

-Play aggresively, but also play smart, save your summoner skills as defensive moves vs very aggressive teams, and as offensive skills vs very defensive teams. Realizing this will get you in range when you need to be, and out of range when you need to be.

-Get the Blue buff whenever possible.

-Rune Prison (W) is your only escape skill, remember this when your summoner skills are down. This is also why you try to max (W) first against strong teams.

-Buy HP pots and Wards whenever possible, or get used to recall trips. Take advantage of the fact that you will be heavily targeted and bait ultimates when you can, do your burst and die if you have to so your team can wipe them. Sometimes staying in the fray to get off a combo although you know you will die will be worth it for your team in the end.

-Don't underestimate CD Reduction on Ryze. I don't think it should be overestimated either. It is good, but don't force your build around it. Use his passive to your benefit, but focus on AP burst for higher level games. You will rarely get opportunities to do double burst volleys, and if you do your team won a long time ago. Compensate for CD with Golem buff and masteries., My opinion is to not waste runes here.

-Ghost and Flash should not need to be explained, but for those lost in why, they are great ways to get there, and by there I mean either the helz away from the baddies, or down their throats like a good pron.

Added note:
I play with players said to be top 500/high ELO on most occassions when I solo queue. I might not be top 500 myself, but I used to play solely Alistar, who is seen as one of the better champions in the game. Now at this unknown skill level, I still can win 60%+ of my games with Ryze, and these are against tryhard teams most often with a Solid TF player /Sivir/Alistar/Annie. Do not underestimate Ryze, he is strong, its all in how you use him, and his abilities to support the team, and when and where you chose to engage in burst battles.

Most importantly, after every kill as Ryze type or yell:
OW-OW-OWND! (without the E, as 1 vowel is enough)

My Live Stream:
www.livestream.com/nicosharp <-- Volume NSFW (F-bombs and NC-17 humor)

Other Guides:
Alistar the Moo-Caboom! [Standard Guide]:
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...ad.php?t=51629
The Many Faces of Alistar [Extensive Guide]:
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...ad.php?t=36784

Grovel

02-16-2010

I thought Magic Pen runes always beat AP, hands down?

What are your thoughts on Tear of the Goddess? Personally favor that and HP quints over Doran's and Magic Regen Runes. That, and it turns into ArchAngels. Just like the Guise route better?

nicosharp

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-16-2010

I like to run Magic Pen Red Primary Runes, but Go for AP blue when Primary. Are you asking about Magic Pen Quints? Early game most characters, whether they are tanks or not, have very little Magic Resist, and the overall AP seems to do more bang for the buck. I end most games with these items:

Doran's Ring
Mejai's Soulstealer
Sorceror Boots
Haunting Guise
Deathfire Grasp
Ryail's Scepter / Zhonya's Ring (or nearly completed 1 or the other)

So I already got quite a bit of Spell pen with the runes and items alone. I think that AP in general is just better all-round, as you will hit some harder than others, but with Spell Flux, you hit so many that those that have Magic Resist will still keep those without it bleeding. I like Archangel's staff, but because It's a pricey path to take, and Snowballing is so much better to try for and focus on early game then a early tear, that I prefer walking this path. I would be all for Tear builds, if my focus was to max Overload first, but I feel it was significantly nerfed and the damage from it is just a little thing to help me with my spell flux/rune prison cooldowns.

M3MBRAN3

02-16-2010

I find that unless I'm getting Banshees I'll try and get a RoA or Rylai's before any other major AP item as the extra health it provides gives you a lot more survivability.

Also you can rune prison then ult. and the ult. will still effect the original rune prison as it ticks over every 0.4s. It works well if they flash / stun you when they see you approaching.

Bombad

02-17-2010

Quick Tips :

- Ignite triggers his passive effect (-1 sec CD). I'm surprised I haven't read that in a guide yet ^^
- Desperate power works if you cast it after your spells. Even if you cast it between two spell flux bounces, the last bounces will benefit from it (they will hit in an AoE). Same thing with rune prison. Don't forget that if you want to maximize the effect of your passive, if you cast the ultimate right after spell flux instead of before, you will be able to cast your next spell flux 1 sec sooner.

nicosharp

02-17-2010

Great tips Bombad. I believe all summoner skills trigger the 1 second reduced recharge passive. Yes the Ult will dish the damage for anything that has not connected yet, Ive had a overload flying to a target, and a spell flux about to bounce when Ive activated and both got the buff. (thanks for the mention both Membrane and bombad).

Alternatively, Ryze can be built very defensively and still played well, but that seems like a very odd way to play him at higher levels. The last game I played, I got:
Banshee's Veil (5)
Merc Treads (3)
Frozen Heart (4)
Haunting Guise (1)
Ryail's Scepter (6)
Mejais Soulstealer (2)

mOeeOm

02-17-2010

Your runes made me die a little inside...

nicosharp

02-17-2010

Show me the way, oh great one, to the perfect Rune Recipe?

I've tried 3 rune combinations now with Ryze. I like this one the best for progression throughout the game. Cooldown runes are pretty bad IMHO if I am getting 40% mid-late game through a few items/buffs, and the Flat AP quints really help me push through earlygame damage for a Soul or 3. The best survivability build I think would be to run flat HP Quints and Golds, as Ryze is so crippled early game by his low HP, and is one of the reasons why I start with Doran's Ring. You could easily go CD blue runes, but again, I prefer AP as, by lvl 6, the 9 AP boost really helps add the damage up with spell flux, and the people I play are rarely there long enough for me to benefit from a second volley.

I think runes should really be built around the Champion, and more importantly how you are choosing to play them. If my build, and gameplay purpose was different for Ryze, I would definitely alternate my runes out.

Odd question, but has anyone thought of Running Ryze with Exeperience Boost Quints? and Exp through Utility Tree. He seems to be a champion that can greatly benefit from fast leveling, as his effectiveness really soars with his spells skill levels. This boost weens off once you hit 18, but this can really power a early catalyst build, and help with very early game ganks as you hit 6 before the competition, even in a side-lane.

Bombad

02-17-2010

Unfortunately the passive doesn't work with Flash or Clarity*, but I haven't tested all the spells, maybe some of them work.

* Btw, the new mastery look interesting, (-2 sec to all CD when using Clarity) MOAR SPELLSPAM =D

Skyllus

02-17-2010

OP Champ is OP right now.

You should have just stopped the guide at "Get Soulstealer", because after that you just kill and snowball like an OP mofo.

Can't wait for a nerf so every game won't be decided by Level 11, 350-400 AP Ryze's.