To all Tank and Support players...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Aemon Darkstar

03-25-2011

Don't give up.

Why do I say this? I see a LOT of new players facing this problem. Tanks and Support characters are, generally speaking (and IMO only), harder to play correctly than the more conventional AD and AP carries. Knowing when to engage, when to retreat, whom to disable, whom to save, all of it in the space of a few crucial seconds is never easy. Don't be disheartened if you don't succeed at it early. Don't even be disheartened if you go on a lose streak with them. It happens, and its often not even your fault. Also, practice makes perfect.
The second main reason for posting this is the K/D/A ratio. A lot of new players, and a lot of players (read: morons) in general pay too much attention to this score. Don't get me wrong, its not unimportant. But its not the end all be all. Understand this, if you are a support with the most deaths on the team, but also the most assists by a long shot, you have warded, and have done your job repeatedly keeping your carries alive and enabling them to get double/triple/whatever kills, then YOU ARE VALUABLE no matter what any fool claims. Realize this. The K/D/A is insufficient to detect a player's contribution to a match, and this is especially true in the case of Support champs (less so for tanks).

The reason for posting this thread is the rather large amount of frustration I've seen lately by players playing these champions. I myself am an avid tank/support player. More times than I can count I've thought of just going "**** it" and playing carries, but my friends and clanmates always make me realize the contribution I bring to each game I play as Shen, Taric, Singed, or whoever.
I just thought to bring the same to the community.

So new players, don't give up if you like hanging back and keeping everyone alive, or rushing out front and dying heroically to let your team mop up the enemy. Don't let KDAs dishearten you. Do your job. If others do theirs, the Victories WILL roll in

InitiateFailure

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-25-2011

/hug.

Thank you. I was just bitterly recollecting my last two gamess of my 8 teammates instantly locking in 8 suishy carries to my Taric, and the game before that Rammus.

DrGiggles001

03-25-2011

Does this reflect on game balance? Just wondeirng yoru thoughts. Good post.

Erekai

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-25-2011

It's sad because too many people pay attention to the K/D/A, including me. When we win a team fight, I'm not always thinking "thanks to the tank or the healer we won that fight," rather I find myself thinking "HOW MANY KILLS DID I GET?????" But that's probably because I'm mostly playing Nidalee or Caitlynn.

But it is a good post. It helps to remember that the true aim of the game is to destroy the towers, inhibs, and ultimately the Nexus. If you do that, you win. It doesn't matter how many K/D/A everyone has. If you do your job, and everyone else does theirs, you'll win and that's what you're REALLY after.

Stupid K/D/A ruining everyone including me. =P

Ellye

03-25-2011

When one team has a tank and the other team doesn't, the first one is already at a pretty huge advantage. This happens quite often in lower level games.

KillerMort

03-25-2011

Man i feel ya, this is all so true for tanks, (one of the most important people on the team ) one day playing with my high level friends, they made me designated tank, at first i thought "bummer no killing " and i died a good amount of time while laning, but then my friend said, "your doing your job right i'm getting alot of kills as akali, now i can get double gunblades" that is a far better feeling than killing in my book ^_^

Gopherbowl

03-26-2011

Amen. I main Maokai. I also play Karma a lot as well. I'm never worried about the K/D/A numbers. I'm only worried about the A number.

The only advice I can give to new potential tank players is this. Don't look up a build and follow it too strictly. Look at what champs the other team has. Buy items accordingly.

clerica

03-26-2011

Also, I don't recommend solo queueing as support in lower games.. if you do, please build some AP. A lot of the times it is not worth it to build pure support when your carries can't carry. At least this is what I've observed.

PackIdiot96

03-26-2011

I tried AP off-tanking with Singed and failed because (much to my dismay) my carries always initiate team fights without me (and end up getting rolled because apparently they "didn't realize how squishy they were"). Pretty much now-a-days I've given up tanking at all and just wait for my teammates to auto-lock predictable characters (Yi, Ashe, etc.) before I make character choices.

Also, whenever someone tells you to tank after auto-locking, don't do it. That means they have no idea what a tank is, what role a tank is supposed to fulfill, or how to play a tank. Most times I respond by auto-locking a squishy (normally Teemo) and building tank with him just out of spite for their hypocrisy (don't force someone to be tank when you auto-locked someone like Yi or Ashe).

Omnipotence

Recruiter

03-26-2011

Tank and supports are awesome. I carried myself to 1500 Elo playing most Janna.
Don't ever give up on support.