League of Legends on a Netbook?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Coa1z

02-14-2010

I came across this game and wondered, hey this can probably be played pretty well on a netbook. This game is hours of enjoyment and if you happen to have a netbook and need to burn some time on those long trips or in those pointless lectures, might need to bust this out. My question to the community is... Has anyone tried to play this game on a typical netbook? If so how well did it run, frame rates? Settings? Any information you guys can give me about system requirements too would be good, with emphasis on netbook compatibility. Thanks for any info and thought.

HeyJon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-14-2010

back out now game will not run on your netbook.

XipXoom

02-14-2010

The game is surprisingly graphics intensive. That being said, with the lowest settings on everything you MIGHT get some playable framerates outside of large team fights. In this case, I'm calling 10-15fps 'playable'. Your definition might differ.

Attero

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-14-2010

Netbook processors simply can't handle this game. Ignoring that, their GPUs also are well below par if you get one of the nice ones, and unacceptable if you get a bad one.

Long story short: No, you can't play this on a netbook. (I've tried on a 2GB RAM netbook and it didn't work)

Cyths

02-14-2010

I tried throwing it on my HP Mini just to see. Not even close, sorry dude. This game has relatively high graphics demands despite how it looks. It's a lot of fun though, so if you have a more robust computer I highly recommend it. Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory works great on my netbook and is free.

Coa1z

02-14-2010

Thanks for the responses, looks like the this new refined game just has a little too much graphics and processing for netbooks. Do you think that as more processor integrate gpu's into the cpu and as other specs increase in netbooks, that this could be an option in the future? The list of playable games for the netbook grows everyday.

XipXoom

02-14-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coa1z View Post
Thanks for the responses, looks like the this new refined game just has a little too much graphics and processing for netbooks. Do you think that as more processor integrate gpu's into the cpu and as other specs increase in netbooks, that this could be an option in the future? The list of playable games for the netbook grows everyday.
Expect it to happen sooner than later.

ExsqweezeMe

02-14-2010

i use an asus n10, which is basically a 10.2inch notebook (asus dont want to label it a netbook as it cuts into their own eeepc market) with a toggle-able geforce 9300m gs graphics card (switch to onboard intel processor when you're not gaming, for battery life). the graphics card alone makes this game lag/chop free.

whilst the card can handle the effects, i've turned down the graphics anyway. having said that i do prefer the graphics without celshading anyway haha. during game i'm usually at 20-30fps, peaking near 40fps and dropping to just under 20. worst i've had was some idiot teammate last night who pinged the minimap constantly for 30 sec while he was dead and caused fps to drop to around 10, as well as giving me a headache from the noise.

the bottleneck with the laptop is mainly the cpu - atom chips don't scale well with the rest of the available hardware. thankfully a lot of this game's grunt work is taken by the graphics.

intel atom n270 (1.6ghz single core). i overclock this to 1.93 ghz
switchable geforce 9300m gs / intel onboard graphics
2gb ram
5400rpm hard disk
vista (unfortunately)
i also run the gamebooster app

edit: i forgot to mention that there's the alienware m11x (google it) coming out soon. it's an 11incher so can physically take 768vertical pixels (10 inchers only max res 600pixel vertical without an external monitor). it also has switchable graphics card, but the cpu is not an atom which alleviates the bottleneck. i'm thinking if i should get it on my next trip to the states =)

Kiraeyl

02-14-2010

I have an eee pc and I can get it to play, but I'd never do a normal game on it. Only practice games.

Coa1z

02-14-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExsqweezeMe View Post
i use an asus n10, which is basically a 10.2inch notebook (asus dont want to label it a netbook as it cuts into their own eeepc market) with a toggle-able geforce 9300m gs graphics card (switch to onboard intel processor when you're not gaming, for battery life). the graphics card alone makes this game lag/chop free.

whilst the card can handle the effects, i've turned down the graphics anyway. having said that i do prefer the graphics without celshading anyway haha. during game i'm usually at 20-30fps, peaking near 40fps and dropping to just under 20. worst i've had was some idiot teammate last night who pinged the minimap constantly for 30 sec while he was dead and caused fps to drop to around 10, as well as giving me a headache from the noise.

the bottleneck with the laptop is mainly the cpu - atom chips don't scale well with the rest of the available hardware. thankfully a lot of this game's grunt work is taken by the graphics.

intel atom n270 (1.6ghz single core). i overclock this to 1.93 ghz
switchable geforce 9300m gs / intel onboard graphics
2gb ram
5400rpm hard disk
vista (unfortunately)
i also run the gamebooster app

)

Thanks for sharing, thats about as close as it gets to a netbook running this game tolerably me thinks. I'm pretty picky when it comes to gaming, I won't touch something if its running below 30 frames per second and all the games I play regularly have to run 60 frames or above. My ideal netbook, that would play this game among others reasonably well for casual gaming and travels would be the following...

*An improved ARM processor that reaches nearly 2ghz speeds, or some Intel equivalent(they will probably engineer something that is as efficient in the future).
*Technology that would allow processors to use less power when doing less stressful tasks (like these intel corei7 and the like)
*A GPU and CPU processor good enough to run casual games, all low-mid end 3D and anything browser based.
*2GB of ram. While running XP most likely until I find something better. Although I have heard that 7 runs games quite well, I just might not be ready to take on that kind of memory bog.
*Improved SSD technology for reliability, around 16 gb I'm chillen.
*screen - just something that has like 1024 by 768
*SD card slot
*USB's of course
*Cam
*speakers
*audio ports
*Decent battery life, around 8 hours would be do-able.
*and any other industry standards.

If they made a netbook like this in the future (which I'm sure they will) and priced it under 400 bucks, I'd pick that thing up faster than super man on PCP.

Me and my friends have talked about this a lot and we have come to the conclusion that the only thing missing is the plausibility for microsoft to direct their attention towards netbook based gaming and browser based gaming (aka the future). They should make a really stripped down version of windows that is focussed on netbooks, netbooks gaming, and gaming efficiency. One idea that we laughed at but still craved was "steam OS." you know that game client that allows you to purchase and download games and create communities based on gaming, yeah that would be tight. I should also mention I like some of the things that google is doing with their netbooks, making them boot faster by having a web centric OS. Well I'm not about to get into cloud computer right away, so I don't intend on buying these, I want to do more with my comp. So I know I'm getting extremely off topic here, but what say you to "GAME" centric laptops/netbooks/computers? that woundt force the consumer to cloud computing and just a browser.