Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Pro Leagues for LoL

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

L0rdMathias

03-23-2011

Coming from the Starcraft community I was very surprised to see that the competative discussion forums were mostly a bunch of people talking about how it's impossible to get out of "ELO Hell" rather than talking about creating teams, recent tournaments and other things of that nature.

I was wondering to what extent does the LoL community have a professional league. I know the game has been featured in WCG and PAX so there must be some pro scene, i'm just disappointed that I came to the competitive section and saw nothing about competitive play, at least on the levels that I am accustomed to.

I realize that it is very difficult to easily show the differences in levels of play to the masses of the community without a replay function, but there is a spectator mode and I'm positive Riot is doing everything they can to deliver to the community; after all these things can't just happen overnight.

Is there a site akin to teamliquid for the LoL community, or did i just choose to come here on a bad day.

sn3aks

06-07-2011

bump clg has a site

Pectojin

06-10-2011

There is an unofficial replay function: http://www.leaguereplays.com/

And yes there is a lot of crying about elo hell. Im not going to rate whether or not this makes sense, for myself i recognize that i am in fact not good enough to raise, YET.
But thats the beautie of it, all the crying makes 'good' players respond to this with interesting concepts where they explain their 'view' on how to raise, and honestly i feel the majority can learn a lot from reading those.

Descyphal

06-10-2011

Well, the poeple saying Elo Hell is impossible to get out of are also wrong. It's not impossible, it's improbable. And this is due to both themselves, and their team.

Elo Hell is a place where the functionality and practicality of an ELO system, doesn't do the justice of a simple performance based system. What I don't understand, however, is that, Riot has an "average game" counter in-play. I honestly think, the win-loss ratio of each champion particular to the individual, should be their ranking for that champion. More over, this would then determine whom is the best in the game, by having higher positions overall on the broad aspect of things.

DuffTime

06-10-2011

Quote:
L0rdMathias:
Coming from the Starcraft community I was very surprised to see that the competative discussion forums were mostly a bunch of people talking about how it's impossible to get out of "ELO Hell" rather than talking about creating teams, recent tournaments and other things of that nature.

I was wondering to what extent does the LoL community have a professional league. I know the game has been featured in WCG and PAX so there must be some pro scene, i'm just disappointed that I came to the competitive section and saw nothing about competitive play, at least on the levels that I am accustomed to.

I realize that it is very difficult to easily show the differences in levels of play to the masses of the community without a replay function, but there is a spectator mode and I'm positive Riot is doing everything they can to deliver to the community; after all these things can't just happen overnight.

Is there a site akin to teamliquid for the LoL community, or did i just choose to come here on a bad day.

You can find elite players live stream by googlin' CLG or Team Solo Mid.

I'm not familiar with LoL's forum policy or I'd be happy to link you.

DuffTime

06-10-2011

Quote:
Tinate:
Well, the poeple saying Elo Hell is impossible to get out of are also wrong. It's not impossible, it's improbable. And this is due to both themselves, and their team.

Elo Hell is a place where the functionality and practicality of an ELO system, doesn't do the justice of a simple performance based system. What I don't understand, however, is that, Riot has an "average game" counter in-play. I honestly think, the win-loss ratio of each champion particular to the individual, should be their ranking for that champion. More over, this would then determine whom is the best in the game, by having higher positions overall on the broad aspect of things.

If I understood correctly, you are suggesting something like an Elo based on each champion played?

Descyphal

06-10-2011

No. I'm suggesting something like lolbase.net has for their champion rankings. And, each champion has it's respective categories. But the players statistics with this champion, determine their rating. Not an elo system, as that's more practical for clans or premades(clans).

If you add the stats: Spells cast, and Health Restored, than every champion's covered. Put values to each statistic, and then average out what those ratings would be based on each champion individually. The players with stats based on champions, and are overall, higher than whom ever else, get that ranking.

This is, unlike an elo system, possible to rank people accurately. As, every game is different. Winning isn't everything, if losing isn't everything. And doing good is rewarding. More over, you can't farm exactly <insert gold amount here> every game, every time. Among other things.

Also, what the hell is with the per game averages page, if they don't have a purpose?

Per Game Averages = ranking system. Add two categories, and there you have, an accurate way to place players in the horde. Better = better. Winning doesn't = better. Nore does losing = worse.

DuffTime

06-10-2011

Quote:
Tinate:
No. I'm suggesting something like lolbase.net has for their champion rankings. And, each champion has it's respective categories. But the players statistics with this champion, determine their rating. Not an elo system, as that's more practical for clans or premades(clans).

If you add the stats: Spells cast, and Health Restored, than every champion's covered. Put values to each statistic, and then average out what those ratings would be based on each champion individually. The players with stats based on champions, and are overall, higher than whom ever else, get that ranking.

This is, unlike an elo system, possible to rank people accurately. As, every game is different. Winning isn't everything, if losing isn't everything. And doing good is rewarding. More over, you can't farm exactly <insert gold amount here> every game, every time. Among other things.

Also, what the hell is with the per game averages page, if they don't have a purpose?

Per Game Averages = ranking system. Add two categories, and there you have, an accurate way to place players in the horde. Better = better. Winning doesn't = better. Nore does losing = worse.

Don't know =P

I'm not commenting so short because I don't care I just sincerely don't know lol.

IS1a420802574b139f7409f

06-10-2011

The competitive scene here is a lot less developed because Riot doesn't have the kind of support structure Blizzard does.

While there a similar amount of players in LoL and SCII, Blizzard has a long history and a lot of money in the competitive scene where Riot just stumbled on it recently. In fact, even this sub-forum is relatively new.

Personally I think Riot should make a forum and slap a min rating of 1600 on it, and call that one competitive discussion and it would be a lot more productive. If you wanna see a competitive scene though, the best way is to contribute things to the forum that are not QQELOHELLQQ.

shadowlegion

06-11-2011

This forum gives grief, trying to compare this forum with similar Dota forums ...