How to play Lux?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Biggest Cawk NA

03-23-2011

Hey all. I'm new to LoL so I'm only level 10. I just found out about masteries from a friend so it's completely different from DOTA. I want to play Lux. Keep in mind that my level is just 10 s I can't have a 9/0/21 build for mastereies. What items do I get and how do I play Lux?

Some other things... I am used to playing carries and tanks(Alistar, Amumu, Master Yi, etc). I've only been playing carries and tanks during LoL so I guess it's going to be different since Lux is suppose to be a support character. But I want to be able to expand my game to play support as well.

Seelyon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-23-2011

Here is a very solid Lux Guide. I also make a very detailed post in this thread about her general build http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?t=601554

As level 10 you probably want to get the 9 in the offense tree and place the extra point in the utility tree. It will be different playing Lux from previous characters, but its good your already thinking of expanding your characters.

Chzy

03-23-2011

I would make sure you get the 15% spell pen mastery. Other than that, level 10 masteries don't matter too much. As for that guide, I disagree slightly. I would recommend never getting abyssal scepter on lux, as it's range is not as good as your spells. The most important things on lux are maxing cooldown reduction (the cap is 40% in case you didn't know) and building lots of ap. Aside from the abyssal, that posted guide is pretty good. Also consider cooldown boots over sorc shoes and voidstaff for lategame damage. The big thing is to harass a lot with lux. I try to keep my ult on cooldown whenever teamfights look like they're about to break out. It's not uncommon to completely kill a squishy on the other team before the fight even engages if you do it right.

Teldin

03-23-2011

Personally, whenever I play Lux I start off with a Meki Pendant and a few heal potions, for longer laning; you will essentially be using E (singularity) to harass the balls off people as much as possible; I find it much easier than her Q to aim and farm with since people will just hide behind a pile of minions. Then I begin building a Morello's Evil Tome (amplifying tome->fiendish codex->morello's), though some people say it's a mediocre item. Screw em! Buy some boots when everyone else does so you can stay away from chasers; I tend towards Sorcerer's Shoes most of the time and Mercury Treads if absolutely necessary (ie. they have a ton of CC's and are targeting you a lot).

After that you should be building whatever AP/Mag pen items you feel like building; Archangel's Staff and Rabadon's Deathcap should launch your AP into the stratosphere and even cheap stuff like Haunting Guise can greatly improve your damage output. Some people will go for a Mejai's Soulstealer instead but I find that it's only good if you're kicking butt to begin with. In between all this AP you also want something to survive with, preferably if it also adds AP or CDR. Void staff is kind of iffy unless they're stacking huge amounts of magic defense.

As for gameplay, Lux is fairly squishy so you absolutely must be able to reposition yourself and move quickly to respond to situations. Learn to lead targets before you fire off your spells. Remember that you have a bind, slow, and temporary health shield at your disposal, so once you've gotten comfortable with the abilities you'll find it's actually very easy to 1 vs 1 someone who thinks they've got you beat. I always go: E to slow, tap it again to blast them, autoattack once, use Q to bind them and then bust out the PEW PEW LASER TO THE FACE. While it's not Veigar-level annihilation it is still extremely devastating.

Look a few screens away from where you are (you don't have character window locking on, right?) and you'll see a great big blue > wherever your mouse is, with your ult selected. This is the end-point of your superbeam. Even if you're quite far away you can still influence a fight by zooming over to just barely get in range, then shave off a giant block of HP on whoever you can hit with it. You can turn a bad situation into a sudden comeback without even being anywhere near the fight. Just always pay attention to yourself, though -- many a Lux has been butchered from not paying attention to things directly next to them.

In big fights you should be fairly close to your team, and can both help your guys out and hinder the enemy. Blast away if anyone gets in range, and constantly use W to fling your baton around and give your allies some temporary HP - it might not seem like much but it can make a huge difference when tower diving or just getting blasted by the enemy. Your ult is situational -- some people use it right off the bat to give the battle a huge advantage on your side, others like to save it for people fleeing. Personally I tend to save it until just the right moment - usually about halfway through the battle when everyone's cooldowns are just about done. BLAM, everyone on the enemy team is suddenly fleeing, and your buddies have all their stuns ready again.

If you find yourself dying a lot, play more defensively: farm some creep waves with your ult to build up some cash, then buy defensive items. It's ok to sacrifice some AP; surviving is much more important than getting a kill and dying for it.

Hope this helps!

Seelyon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chzy View Post
I would make sure you get the 15% spell pen mastery. Other than that, level 10 masteries don't matter too much. As for that guide, I disagree slightly. I would recommend never getting abyssal scepter on lux, as it's range is not as good as your spells. The most important things on lux are maxing cooldown reduction (the cap is 40% in case you didn't know) and building lots of ap. Aside from the abyssal, that posted guide is pretty good. Also consider cooldown boots over sorc shoes and voidstaff for lategame damage. The big thing is to harass a lot with lux. I try to keep my ult on cooldown whenever teamfights look like they're about to break out. It's not uncommon to completely kill a squishy on the other team before the fight even engages if you do it right.
I agree with this completely. As i detailed in the other link i posted Abyssal is more for the resistance as opposed to the aura. Cooldown reduction is vital, the linked build gets 35%, which is pretty solid, but results in wastage when you get blue elixir.

Cenerae

03-23-2011

http://www.own3d.tv/Rokudan

If you're of a mind to watch old recorded games, Roku has a lot of Lux games at that link you can go watch. Most of them have useful commentary, and the general level of play is pretty high.

It may help you see some tricks you can use to improve your Lux play, outside of the mechanical stuff that the guides can teach you.

lolvEntt

03-23-2011

Dorans ring, farm 1950 gold. Get the +80ap thing, and boots. Then build either the cap, or Rod of ages if you need the hp/mana. Then build whateva you want. Once you're 16, use your R during the "i wanna iniate, but they don't iniate, so i'm not gonna iniate, i hope they'll iniate" annoying times to lower their hp's. Try and catch people in snares for your team to rape.