More important to a Tank

Health 3 13.64%
Armor/Magic Resist 18 81.82%
Health Regain/Life Steal 0 0%
Guardian Angel 1 4.55%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

tank question

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nihles

03-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHunter View Post
I think this is a flawed question, in asking.

I'd like you to think of a tank's survivability in EHP or effective hit points. It's a triangle, which has sides of armor, magic resistance, and health (I'm ignoring the hp regen. and guardian angel, because they're usually negligible in team fights). Basically, you want to have the EHP triangle with all sides approximately the same length, unless an opposing team is leaning heavily towards AP or AD. Basically, it is most effective to prioritize armor and magic res. if you have lots of health, and prioritize health if you have lots of armor and magic res. already, resulting in a higher EHP.

So with this information in mind, you will want to look at your champion. Does your champion lean more towards health or armor & resistances? It's important to look your champion's base stats and prioritize accordingly.

Thus, Warmog's can be an entirely viable item. It gives a huge boost to your health side of the EHP triangle, making any armor and magic res. bought later much more effective. But because of the pure hp boost (regen. is negligible) it is important to never stack Warmog's. Too much raw hp opens you up to a Madred's razor, but hp tempered with armor and magic resistance makes for a powerful tank. And so there is no cookie-cutter best item. It all depends on your current situation.
Very well said. This is what I was trying to say above, but you put it in terms much better than I did. I could not agree with you more!

iHarlequin

03-22-2011

Armor/MR. You can tear through a 5k HP Tank with almost no armor and magic resistance, but you'll have a hard time beating up someone that reduces your attacks to less than a third of what they were supposed to be doing.

IHunter

03-22-2011

It's quite infuriating when people don't read previous forum posts...

iHarlequin

03-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHunter View Post
It's quite infuriating when people don't read previous forum posts...
TC made a question, I answered his question. I don't have the time luxury of looking at every reply in a thread, specially when they have more than a couple of paragraphs. I'm also not going to forfeit replying to a topic because of this.

If TC wants me to elaborate on my opinion, I will. This is his topic, not yours.

DarkerStix

03-22-2011

Ever seen a pure HP stacking tank vs Kog'Maw with Madred's? It's quite funny.

FaerellG

03-22-2011

Whatever will give you more survivability against the enemy team.

A healthy amount of armor and resistances then stack on some HP for most teams. You really have to look at what is hitting you hardest. When you die, look at the death log and take not of what sort of damage you're getting hit more with: magic or physical.

Even before that, you can simply count how many Magic vs Physical champions they have. You can sort of discount the enemy tank in this process.

This should help you decide what to build. Remember, being a tank means you must adapt to the enemy.