More important to a Tank

Health 3 13.64%
Armor/Magic Resist 18 81.82%
Health Regain/Life Steal 0 0%
Guardian Angel 1 4.55%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

tank question

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

naolee

03-22-2011

what is more important to a tank?

- health
- armor/magic resis
- health regain/life steal
- guardian angel

DarkerStix

03-22-2011

It depends on what kind of tank you want to play.

I main Singed so I run Armor/Magic Resist runes. Then I grab RoA, Rylai's, another RoA, then either Frozen Heart/FoN/QSS/BV (depends on the other team) and if the game somehow goes long enough or I get mad kills/assists, I grab GA at the end so I become literally unkillable. I usually grab the situational item after the first RoA and Rylai's if things are going well. If not, rush Catalyst then grab what you need before building Rylai's and finishing RoA. You really need Rylai's as a Singed player IMO. It makes mobile team fights much easier to control since it gives your poison a decent slow.

For others, like Morde or Mundo, Regen will definitely be most important, since they use health to cast spells. I like Randuin's for Morde (I don't play much mundo).

For Malphite, Armor is definitely the most important, since his E (main damage output in most cases) scales off of armor. For him I like items like Aegis of the Legion and Guardian Angel, since it covers both Armor and MR. Beyond those, it should differ each game.

I hope this helps.

naolee

03-22-2011

just want to clarify. you would put health below everything else meaning warmog is not that important

Addendum

03-22-2011

Morde and Mundo aren't tanks.

Armor and MR. Health will come in small additions. Plus shield skills are so much more powerful on you that it can turn teamfights around.

DarkerStix

03-22-2011

I find that reducing the damage you can take is better than increasing health. So yes. I do think it's important though, to grab items like Banshee's on champs with mana to supplement your health someone. I like items that give health PLUS damage reduction.

Crazyflames

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by naolee View Post
just want to clarify. you would put health below everything else meaning warmog is not that important
Troll? Warmogs gives the most single surviviability out of ANY tank item, scaling much beter early game still being the best lategame (50% more EHP than before at lvl 18, you can afford before then giving you as much as 100% more EHP) Obviously after you get the health the armor/MR get more useful. Warmogs sadly does not give any offensive bonusus and are slightly worse for defensive items that give only one stat if thats all their team has, for example sunfire cape gives the AOE damage and such, along with probably slightly higher survivability vs purely phisical DPS.

TechnMage

03-22-2011

i agree that because of shields armor and mr is better, definitely on morde(a god of shielding self), because gaining 300 shield is great and all no matter what but with 200 armor and mr that is the equivilent of 900 health, same with healing if i heal my tank 500 health i either made him waaay harder to kill(if he went armor and mr) or it would have been just as effective on anyone(if he is going health).

generally cost wise health is more effective with a good balance of the others, but if you have something that gives you health already(high health per level/enrage/shields/ally shields/heals) armor and mr is much more effective

Nihles

03-22-2011

The correct answer is all of the above, in proportionate amounts. Anybody will survive longer with a Giant's belt, Chain vest, and negatron cloak than they will with just a FoN, Warmog's, or Thornmail. Once you have some health and a fair bit of resistances you can turn everything into complete items.

Ragebeard Manric

03-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyflames View Post
Troll? Warmogs gives the most single surviviability out of ANY tank item, scaling much beter early game still being the best lategame (50% more EHP than before at lvl 18, you can afford before then giving you as much as 100% more EHP) Obviously after you get the health the armor/MR get more useful. Warmogs sadly does not give any offensive bonusus and are slightly worse for defensive items that give only one stat if thats all their team has, for example sunfire cape gives the AOE damage and such, along with probably slightly higher survivability vs purely phisical DPS.
Warmog's is actually one of the most cost inefficient items in the game. Furthermore, it is entirely nullified by someone on the other team building a madred's razor.

As a first item HP is obviously better for survivability but a pure HP item like warmogs in the long run is not so good for you as a tank. This is why common starter items are things like Randuin's, or Sunfire, or BV, because they add a 400~ average HP in addition to resistances and other benefits (shield, AoE ticker, etc).

IHunter

03-22-2011

I think this is a flawed question, in asking.

I'd like you to think of a tank's survivability in EHP or effective hit points. It's a triangle, which has sides of armor, magic resistance, and health (I'm ignoring the hp regen. and guardian angel, because they're usually negligible in team fights). Basically, you want to have the EHP triangle with all sides approximately the same length, unless an opposing team is leaning heavily towards AP or AD. Basically, it is most effective to prioritize armor and magic res. if you have lots of health, and prioritize health if you have lots of armor and magic res. already, resulting in a higher EHP.

So with this information in mind, you will want to look at your champion. Does your champion lean more towards health or armor & resistances? It's important to look your champion's base stats and prioritize accordingly.

Thus, Warmog's can be an entirely viable item. It gives a huge boost to your health side of the EHP triangle, making any armor and magic res. bought later much more effective. But because of the pure hp boost (regen. is negligible) it is important to never stack Warmog's. Too much raw hp opens you up to a Madred's razor, but hp tempered with armor and magic resistance makes for a powerful tank. And so there is no cookie-cutter best item. It all depends on your current situation.