Udyr - What am I doing wrong?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Derelict Bane

03-22-2011

I managed to quickly understand Udyr's weaknesses after losing with him three times in a row (not fun). I tried out a few different builds, but I can't seem to get the hang of Jungling. I get the cloth armor and potions to start building Lantern, and go with either Tiger or Phoenix for some damage and head for the Wolves, Golems and then Wraiths. I get Tiger Stance so I can get some damage and early kills done, phoenix also works for me for the AoE cone.

But strangely, I still can't help but think that I'm missing something (level 13 btw, barely any runes).

What am I missing? is it practice?

negroslapper

03-22-2011

Well i'll give you a bit of advice about LANING udyr, since jungle udyr is great not all people do laning udyr, but i find laning udyr renders more lower level kills and here is why:

Tigerstance- Awesome ability right? well paired with ignite and exhaust it is a guarunteed kill with a competent lane partner.. Reasons?
Well.. someone face checks your bush (giggity) and you and your teammate are ready, you hit Q and Uderp with runes hits for 85 damage or so with longsword... Okay okay, but how does that kill them? Well Uderp tiger stance also has a DoT that does 180 damage, its also magic damage but scales with AD incase you wanna get magic pen runes for specifically first blood, so let's say a 500 health champ (average) checks the bush, take
85(hit)+180(DOT)+100?(ignite true damage), thats 365 of their health in 1 hit! if they flash away then they cannot compete in the lane without recalling...
ALSO tiger uderp hiding in a bush is a great harass, just run out, hit once and run back in.
Sorry for the terrible 5 minute guide, my teammate is waiting to queue with me so i gotta hurry.

ALSO i apologize if my name is offensive, waiting for name change :P

Laian

03-22-2011

uderp is the best way to play

Derelict Bane

03-22-2011

Translation: "practice sum moar!"
-.-"

Luthien Kess

03-22-2011

I go phoenix, starting at golems, smite the first golem, then go to wraiths, then wolves. Take blue with smite and then recall, grabbing boots. Grab red, then see if either bot or mid need a gank. If not go back to golems and through the path again. After wolves either gank top or mid, or go check enemies jungle.

Skill order
Phoenix, turtle, phoenix, bear.

What might be missing for you is runes/masteries. Most junglers really want those to clear faster and with enough health to gank.

Derelict Bane

03-22-2011

at my current level runes do very little for me, but I appreciate the help

negroslapper

03-22-2011

ah yeh, its hard to do tiger stance without runes, but if you, or anyothers want to know my rune structure, here
red AD base
yellow AD base
blue AD base
quints Armor pen

DrDoomMD

03-22-2011

the problem is definitely runes/masteries. Udyr is one of those champs that even gets low when you're level 30 with the right runes and masteries while clearing the jungle. You should really try WW or Nunu in the jungle to be more effective at that low level to understand jungling so that when you get higher level, Udyr will be a no brainer.

Derelict Bane

03-22-2011

I destroyed many people as Nunu, so I thought about trying Udyr (who I believe is one of the best junglers) and see if I can master him (so far, where I'm at, laning does wonders, whereas later it might be a lot different)

killerb0y

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-22-2011

Udyr is one of my main jungles, and I do agree runes/masteries do make a pretty big difference. If you really want to jungle though (which I think is how he should be played), I think you'll need to hold off Tiger until you're level 30. Try starting with Phoenix and going Guardsman Bob's route: wolves, wraiths (smite blue one), small golems, pill, Blue golem, wolves, wraiths, Red Lizard, small golems, gank. Level Phoenix, Turtle, Phoenix, Bear. Have fun!