Kog'maw Runing: When and What?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KhazrakOneEye

03-22-2011

When is the most cost effective time to rune, and what runes should I use with Kog'maw as my main?

Thanks.

Kytora

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-22-2011

It depends on how you are playing kog. AP or AD? Different runes for different builds, but I'd probably get 3 hp quints personally for either.. but it's just my preference.

YourRoleModel

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-22-2011

Ok... no matter WHAT you build, Kog needs Attack Speed.

If you build AD Kog, you want AS for more procs, more crits, more damage, more life steal.
If you build AP Kog, you want AS for more shots during Bio Arcane and faster life % drain.
If you build Hybrid Kog, you want AS for all of the above.

My Kog Build tends to be like this...

Sorcerer's Boots
Madreds Bloodrazor
Haunting Guise or Malady
Sometimes I will go Tear into either Manamune or Archangel's Staff after I have lots of MP.

Kog also needs lots of mana and mana regen.

Because Kog NEEDs a lot of mana, if you go early Tear, you can Mastery 7 in Defense to get 1% of your Max Mana as Health Regen.

If you end up with 3k mana at the end, you'll regenerate health pretty fast (even in early laning phase you can benefit from this).

I also like to mix in a Phage and Frozen Mallet or Trin into my Kog build to slow them and/or proc extra damage since you're casting often. This also gives him some Health to go with the Armor he gets from Madreds and MR he gets from Banshee's Veil.

AP doesn't benefit Kog's spells as much as a pure caster, Magic Penetration and Attack speed are key.

Focus your runes and masteries on:
- Attack Speed and/or Magic Pen
- Mana
- Mana Regen
- Health Regen based on Mana (defensive tree)

You don't really need cool down reduction much, though it can be nice.

Kog likes buffs though so you may want to stack your utility tree.

9-15 in Offense is good to get the Magic Pen, Attack speed and Armor Pen
7 in Defense to get the 1% of Max Mana as Health Regen
Rest in Utility to get as much as you can there, including buff duration increases if possible.

Kog has tons of viable configs but, I find him most effective late game when you've ramped his AS up to 2+ per second or so.

Burbinator

03-22-2011

MS quints not a bad idea for kog either. He's got no escape/chase skill, he's got a slow yeah but you cant permaslow someone like you can with ashe (4 sec cd volley) so being ableto move quickly is pretty important on him. Unless ALL you're doing is spamming your ultimate, which is pretty useless compared to using his W but w/e, just grab mpen quints then.

YourRoleModel

03-22-2011

One other thing... if you do get lots of Magic Pen and you want AP Kog... keep in mind that the attack speed on Bio and the 1.5x damage to Champs on Living Artillery makes his low ratios better than they actually SEEM to be on paper.

So... going to 8% life damage on Bio Arcane... and going up by 40 on Living Artilery, is better than it looks. If you hit a guy with 3000 health, each 1% is 30 extra damage, and, 40 damage on LA is actually 60 damage to champs.

The ratios aren't as bad as they seem as long as you focus on blasting past as much MR as possible.

muusbolla

03-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourRoleModel View Post
40 damage on LA is actually 60 damage to champs.
No it isn't. The 150% damage bonus is applied before AP ratio is added.

VincentKrys

03-22-2011

Kog is who I played to get me to 1600, and I personally say this: Build Kog completely around Bio Arcane Barrage, it's what makes him the ****. Kog is Magic damage, not physical, so building him more along the lines of AP is better, get MPen Marks and quints and flat health seals, for glyphs, what I do it get ability power glyphs, as well as the ability power masteries, because then if u get 1 ability power item thats good on Kog such as Malady, the combined ability power will give u an extra 1% damage on your W an belive me, it makes a difference. I go zerker greeves, MDBR (Of course), malady, frozen mallet, phantom dancer and banshees are my usual builds on him, but I usually get what I need depending on the enemy team. Frozen mallet and Dancers are there just to give him mobility and utility, since he really needs it. Once u have MDBR, Malady, as well as the ability power glyphs and masteries, you do about 12 - 13% life damage per hit with W once it is fully maxed out, which is pretty insane damage even to tanks with MR. This kind of build is what got me to 1600, I'm not saying it's the best but it's my best preference.

KhazrakOneEye

03-22-2011

Really? I've never really payed much attention to Bio-Arcane Barrage. I usually put one point in it at the start and then maxed out ooze and spittle, and then went back to it.

I've been playing him by just raping with pin-point LA's and VO and spittle, and its been working pretty well. I will try some different stuff in some bot games today.

So, magic penetration, health, and ability power?

VincentKrys

03-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhazrakOneEye View Post
Really? I've never really payed much attention to Bio-Arcane Barrage. I usually put one point in it at the start and then maxed out ooze and spittle, and then went back to it.

I've been playing him by just raping with pin-point LA's and VO and spittle, and its been working pretty well. I will try some different stuff in some bot games today.

So, magic penetration, health, and ability power?
Thats my build, and in the higher ELO you want to max out W asap, as well as rush MDBR asap, and like I said, I completely build around it, and personally I think my runepage is effective for him

Nagster11

03-22-2011

i built my runepage around mana re-gen and mana. had quinn as health
this is a pretty good build i think and it works for me. i try to get up VO and also LA as soon as i can because i think for me that is what kog is good for. taking on tanks. i make sure to get AP up but thats not in the runepage. i do pretty well and only die if i get really careless because VO and + boots helps me get away
rather than getting attack speed.. you get that 30% when you get up Q. not needed in the runepage. only if you have a spare slot and nothing else that is usefull for Kog.