Ranked is just a coin flip

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

I am from Space

10-24-2011

This thread is full of strange ideas...

First off, I get that the "coin flip" in this context is meant to mean that you have no control over the game's outcome, and it's simply a huge irony that a coin flip also has the same exact odds of the system working flawlessly for every player. Lol, sorry that still makes me laugh. Anyway...

First off, all player must have a starting elo of the average elo of the system to preserve the average. Really.

However, they can indeed play matches anywhere. The elo system can easily disperse points based on any match-up, so you could start a bunch of new ranked playrs at 1200, and match them against a bunch of well established 300 noobs, and then supply the correct number of points at the end for that match up.

So why start them in the center? The center also has the largest concentration of players, so you actually screw over the least number of people. If you start everyone at 900, you'll really make it hell there, because given the fact that there are 1/8 the players, trolls will occur with 8x the frequency.

Each time elo is reset, the 1200 will become a war zone of noobness, because those people used to have lower ratings, and now they're back up at 1200. It takes some time to sort that **** out. Just keep playing and you'll eventually get to the elo you're supposed to be--and so will the low skilled people.

And I guess just keep reporting the real trolls.

Deathfairy

10-24-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeLLö View Post
A big issue with this system, as has been stated, is starting players at 1200. Simply lowering it to 1000 would be a phenomenal improvement.

Honest to god question:

Are you dumb or pretending?
Lowering it to 1000 will be improvement? How would it be improvement? You will just move everyone's elo down by 200, and ABSOLUTELY nothing will change besides that.

I mean honestly if you don't understand something that simple then the rest of your opinions are pretty irrelevant imho.

DD DoubleDiamond

10-24-2011

There is nothing wrong with the ranking system. You're playing a 5 on 5 game. Assuming everyone has about equal skill (a 2500 player isn't smurfing, a 800 player isn't smurfing) then the team with the leaver, the troll, or the weakest player will lose most of the time. Why people view this as some kind of mistake in the matchmaking algorithm is beyond me. It's simply how a team game works.

Over time, better players move up, worse players move down, and average players sit still.

I believe the biggest culprit to people's misconception of the system is the visibility of trolls on one's own team. You may recall you lost X number of games because someone was ****, but not many people keep track of how many games you win because someone of the other team was ****.

Struddle

10-25-2011

well the problem with afk/leavers is that there is never any real compensation given to the players that fall victim to the person doing so. I've had I'd say around 5 losses (around 50-60 points) because we're without a player during the game. Some kinda review/compensation/punishment for afkers/leavers would really help......... Reporting just isn't enough to have anything done any time soon. At the same time I've won a few games because of afkers I'd say the same amount and I've always reported but I know it doesn't mean much to the players that lose because of it.