Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

When to start getting runes intead of champions?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nuxar

03-21-2011

Hey,

I am nearing 6300 IP and I was wondering: I maybe wanted to get a new champ but I also wanted to get serious into runes.

Currently, I main Kog. I Really like Trundle an Im thinking of buying him. Anyway, for kog, I already have a rune setup (tier 3 runes). But I still dont know what to do now between more runes for different situations or a new champ.

So I ask, when do you guys think that we should stop/slowdown buying champs and start buying more runes?

EDIT: Im lvl 30, I have alot of champs and enough runes. Im asking if I should invest more in Runes or Champs?

necaremus

03-21-2011

i would recommend to build some few general rune pages
1 for ad champs
1 for ap champs

now you can test around with pretty much any champ, buy any champ, and so on. would start with some cheap champs, to get a feeling of the game :3
than you can start buying some champs and build specific rune-pages for them.
or just buy a champ to test around a bit more - weekly champ selection kinda suxx :3
after a time you will gain some runes and champs, so more flexibility will build up naturally

KPloggz

03-21-2011

Learn to jungle a champ and get a rune page for that champ (which includes buying the champ if you don't have it)

Prof YANA

03-21-2011

I wouldn't bother buying any runes at all until level 20. I feel that they're just not worth it until then, not to mention by that time you'll have a good array of champions. Good to save up for that point, though.

RzorGear

03-21-2011

Buy master yi. (best profit ever)

Ridisi

03-21-2011

Having runes that work for every champ is what I did, then I started to buy specific setups like Akali.

uncle anime

03-21-2011

your best bet when first buying runes is to buy runes that can be used by nearly any build. i'd personally recommend flat armor yellows (for early game lane dominance) and scaling magic resist blues (for late game survivability) since they are super useful on just about anyone

Something Snazzy

03-21-2011

I'm forcing myself to not buy any champs until I finish armor/mr pen reds, armor and flat hp yellows and mana regen, flat CDR and mr per level blues with armor pen and flat hp quints.

That should cover pretty much every single character pretty well.

Morsigil

03-21-2011

I got runes after a couple of heroes AND I reached tier 3. Do not buy runes until you reach tier 3. You will be in and out of tier 1 and 2 before you know it.

Rune builds are as such: AD champ, AP champ, tank.

AD champ is attack speed quints and marks, dodge seals, and magic resist glyphs (this was originally for Jax but I find it good on any AD champion.

AP champ is magic pen marks, flat health quints, health per level seals, and mr/level glyphs.

Tank is attack speed marks, hp/level seals, mr/level glyphs, and a mix of flat health and flat mr quints. I take attack speed because I play Shen a lot and the extra attack speed is nice for last hitting and getting off ki strike more often in team fights.

meneroth2

03-21-2011

^^^ wait till level 3 runes, best advice ever.

seriously.

also, a full rune page for a level 20 can be around 5-6k in ip so you might want to do the unthinkable and actually buy an ip boost when your level 18-19 so you can get some good runes going as soon as you get to 20.

as for # of champs you should own.....i would say 5 at the min. tank, AD carry, AP carry, jungler, and support. jungler could be the tank (amumu), the AD carry (udyr), or the AP carry, though i cant think of an AP carry that jungles well of the top of my head cept for akali, who isnt really a great jungler.