Theory: Darius Was Part of the Assault on Varus' Village

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PhoenixSlayer13

04-18-2013

Take a moment first to listen to both of their log-in themes:

https://soundcloud.com/leagueoflegends/varus
https://soundcloud.com/leagueoflegends/darius

Notice how the driving bass behind Darius' theme is the EXACT SAME as Varus', though the one in Varus' theme is more monotone. This makes me think that there must be some connection between Varus and Darius, as it seems strange to just do that by chance.

While Darius' lore mentions nothing about Ionia, who is to say that he did not take part in the war against Ionia while he was still a mere soldier?

My theory is this: Darius personally killed Varus' wife and son. While Varus' lore states that he returned to the village to find his wife and child dead, I feel that it would be much more powerful if Varus was attempting to save his family and saw Darius murder them in cold blood. Maybe that scar across Darius' eye could be from a deflected arrow shot?

Not only would this give Varus a specific rival other than Noxus as a whole, but it would also give Darius a true rival (while Garen and Darius are like two sides of a coin, it's never clear if they've actually met in battle, and Garen already has a love-hate relationship with Katarina).

What do you guys think? I know some of you may be cross with some of the recent retcons, but I feel like this change would be fully in line with the essence of these characters, as well as add a specific rival to Varus other than "I hate Noxus."

PhoenixSlayer13

04-18-2013

Guess everyone is focused on Freljord right now... thought I would just try to shuffle the discussion a bit.

PhoenixSlayer13

04-18-2013

Anybody?

What if Darius was the Hand of Freljord?

Omnipherious

04-18-2013

Somehow I don't see Darius being someone that would've taken part in the whole Ionia business. He seems more like the kind of soldier that would prefer battlefields where opposing armies like Demacia are present. Simply because he seems like the kind that appreciates a good fight as opposed to killing random civilians.

PhoenixSlayer13

04-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnipherious View Post
Somehow I don't see Darius being someone that would've taken part in the whole Ionia business. He seems more like the kind of soldier that would prefer battlefields where opposing armies like Demacia are present. Simply because he seems like the kind that appreciates a good fight as opposed to killing random civilians.
Though he has "disposed" of a number of cushy Noxian officials... they likely didn't put up much of a fight. He may enjoy battlefields much more, but I've always seen him as a cold-blooded murderer at heart if murdering furthers Noxus' dominion.

Plus, Ionians are a lot tougher than they look at first glance.

Omnipherious

04-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixSlayer13 View Post
Though he has "disposed" of a number of cushy Noxian officials... they likely didn't put up much of a fight. He may enjoy battlefields much more, but I've always seen him as a cold-blooded murderer at heart if murdering furthers Noxus' dominion.

Plus, Ionians are a lot tougher than they look at first glance.
See that's where your opinion and mine differ.

The way I see it, Darius doesn't hesitate to kill fellow Noxians that are not Noxian-like in his eyes (weak, unworthy, etc). He wants a strong Noxus because he perceives the recent Noxus as faltering, which is unacceptable. Therefore he has absolutely no qualms beheading a leader or two and backing Swain, whom he feels deserves to lead Noxus because he has displayed strength (through his cunning, strategic military and magical prowess).

It is for this reason that I think he could care less about the relation Noxus has to other nations unless it was a nation like Demacia. Noxians and Demacians are more similar than you think. Their core ideal may differ but they are alike. Mind you I'm not saying Ionia is weak or anything, just irrelevant in Darius's eyes.

Melancholy Exile

04-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixSlayer13 View Post
My theory is this: Darius personally killed Varus' wife and son. While Varus' lore states that he returned to the village to find his wife and child dead, I feel that it would be much more powerful if Varus was attempting to save his family and saw Darius murder them in cold blood. Maybe that scar across Darius' eye could be from a deflected arrow shot?
As interesting an idea as this might be, it would directly contradict the whole whole point of Varus' sacrifice. He chose to "fulfill his duty as a warden" knowing full-well that his people wouldn't be able to hold out against the Noxian assault. If he attempted to save his family, it doubly undermines his motivation because it both suggests he didn't feel obliged to defend the pit at all costs and implies his family only died because he wasn't fast enough to save them. The Pit of Pallas simply becomes the tool of Varus' vengeance, rather than his nemesis and salvation in one.

More to the point: Why would this give Darius a "true rival"?

As far as their meeting is concerned, I can't help but think it would lead to this.

PhoenixSlayer13

04-18-2013

Thanks for the feedback guys. Varus probably best as-is.

Also, thanks for the movie clip Melancholy. Made me laugh

Birdy51

04-19-2013

Hmm... Don't hang up the discussion just yet. A music major enters the fray!

Listening to the pieces, there are a few correlating features. For instance, you were correct, there is a consistent marching rhythmic line between both of the two pieces bass string instruments.

This can be observed by putting the slider onto 54' for Darius' Theme and by putting the slider on 1:02 for Varus' Theme. Just listen to the rhythm. They are one and the same. The difference indeed comes in a melody of both lines, as Varus' Theme tends to stay one note while Darius' Theme is significantly more active.

Aesthetically, there is a dastardly menacing tone in Darius' Theme. They are coming for you and your family, to pillage and burn. While I don't think Varus' Theme takes anything else from Darius' Theme, there is a definite sense of abject horror regardless. The village has been razed to the ground. Fires are still yet burning. Your family is dead. There is a parallel here, that cannot be mistaken. Varus is now spiritually dead. Revenge is the only option against those who have perpetrated this crime.

Does this means that Varus and Darius are meant to be pure rivals?

Who knows. However, this does say one thing. Even if Darius had nothing to do with the pillaging of Varus' village, Varus certainly holds a very bitter feeling towards Noxians in general. Their war march has become the death knell of his family. That much cannot be denied.

EchidnaCarry

04-19-2013

For people who think Darius wouldn't take part in the Noxian invasion, I'd make the comparison to Riven. Riven as a soldier did take part in the invasion, but hated what she saw. She represents what Noxus could be, being a fairly non-evil despite her might makes right worldview. Darius represent everything Noxus is, and thus by contrast I can easily see him slaughtering villagers. Plus examining their apparent ages, I don't see it as likely Riven was there and Darius was not.

So yes, I totally see Darius and Varus as having the potential story link.