Why kill the baron?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gl1tch

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-20-2011

I must admit, I'm rather new to League of Legends. I'm only at 50 games or so, and this is my first post on the forums. I try to keep an open mind, and consider that other players have a better grasp on strategy than I do. But I just played a more baffling game than I thought possible.

There were five of us. Soraka (me), Cho'gath, Shaco, Fiddlesticks, and Rhys. And we were crushing. Cho'gath was at 5k health, Shaco and Fiddlesticks were both at 16 deaths and 3 deaths (or somewhere around that), Rhys was... relatively worse, and I was at 18 assists, 0 deaths, and a load of items I cannot remember the names of. I was spewing heal spells every five seconds, and I think it was an incredible game. As a team, we were at 63 kills, and 33 deaths.

However, we lost.

While we were dominating in the jungle, we were losing in the lanes. We could kill the other team, sure, but while we were doing so, someone (usually Teemo), would scurry down and take out a turret. By the end of the game, they'd taken out two of our inhibitors, and we lost when super-minions over-ran our base. I didn't think losing was possible, considering our massive lead. In fact, several members of our team were... angry... to say the least.

Both my team, and theirs, agreed we should have killed the baron.

I was under the impression the Baron simply gave your heros buffs. Don't get me wrong, bonuses attack speed, damage, and life steal, are wonderful. But when our team is up by 30 kills, it's almost redundant. I was under the impression we needed to push harder. We only got in their base once, and we did so without the assistance of minions. Even then, we took out two turrets and an inhibitor, before we had to retreat. They only managed to kill two of us. I thought that if we returned with the assistance of super minions, we'd easily win the game. However, everyone else in the post-game chat disagreed.

I try to keep an open mind, so I figured I'd ask the forums to educate me. What, specifically, does killing the baron do? Why should a team kill it? And, most importantly, when should you kill it?

Thanks for your help!

AkitaNeru

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

03-20-2011

Killing Baron is something of a luxury. You get +300 gold, +40 AD and AP, and percentage HP and MP regen.

When it's a close game, having Baron can make or break a push. Similarly, if you manage to take Baron very early, those buffs are huge.

When it's not a close game, when you're already capable of pushing into the enemy base without minions and without losing your entire team, taking Baron is really just a luxury. You don't really need the extra health or mana regen or the AD/AP, but it doesn't hurt, and it could potentially let you stay in their base and destroy a couple more towers or inhibs. Taking it also prevents the other team from sneaking out and taking it in an attempt to turn the tides back in their favour.

As far as times to take it goes, the best times are usually when the other team is somehow weaker than yours. Either you've killed one or more of their team members, one or more of their members is on the opposite side of the map, or you've pushed into their base hard enough that they can't afford to leave it defenseless. Trying to take it when you don't have a clear advantage is often suicide and leads to getting aced.

In any case, I'd agree with your assessment of the game, based on what you've told us. It sounds like you guys should've just pushed and won. Teemo almost definitely should not have been able to solo push faster than you could have 5-man pushed a lane.

Stillhart

03-20-2011

I agree with everything Akita said. I'd also like to add that knowing how to finish out a game when you're winning is very important. It's a common mistake in the lower skill levels to stretch out a game because you're having fun killing the other team. Here's why:

Given an infinitely long game, there will be a point at which everyone on both teams has the perfect build and all their skills. At that point neither team has the advantage and having 1000 kills more than the other team means nothing because nobody needs the gold/xp anymore.

So, as a game drags on, your advantage will naturally start to disappear as the other team farms and catches up. The goal is to get an advantage over the other team and then EXPLOIT the heck out of it while you have it. At super high levels of play, one or two kills might be all the advantage necessary to tip the balance.

Anyhow, it's important to realize when you have a great advantage and your team is NOT exploiting it. "Hey guys, we're letting them farm up! Let's gather up and push X tower." Always be working towards an objective on the battlefield. Nobody cares if you "only need 300 more gold for my third Bloodthirster"... just win the game while you still can.

Nikorai

03-20-2011

Baron is basically a global champion kill+ steroids for your champions.