A Design Manifesto

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Scribix

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-21-2011

Really enjoyed reading through this. Its nice to see what others are thinking as Im just getting my foot in the door for Game Design.

Alot of these issues I had already wrote down myself and had plan on posting later...
Great Work.

boourns

UI Designer

03-21-2011
1 of 2 Riot Posts

Thanks for taking the time to write some constructive feedback for us. Let me preface things by saying that I can only speak to the mostly UI specific parts and a lots of your suggestions touch on game design decisions that have been made for deliberate reasons. I'm not really in the position to promise anything will happen, so don't expect too much, but I *can* give you some insight inside our process.

Also when giving feedback, letting us know what you see the problem to be is very helpful in addition to feature suggestions, it can help us find alternative solutions which solve the problem when the suggested solution is not possible for whatever reason (conflicts with game design, engineering difficulty, etc,).

* Zooming. I think it is pretty common practice for competitive games to cap the zoom at a specific level (usually taking into consideration min. res). This is to prevent players with more money to spend on faster computers/video cards/monitors from gaining an advantage in how much they can see. Starcraft does this for that reason I believe.
* Would like clearer friendly/enemy coloring, adding it is non-trivial from what I've been told, but is something that we would like to do.
* Ping on the main screen. This makes sense to me, but I suspect there may have been a reason that we do not allow since it seems pretty obvious to have.
* More visible cursor. I definitely have the same problem, it's not super high on our priority list and I think to do it right we might want to have a dynamic cursor that takes the opposite color of what's underneath or something similar.
* Multiple sets of masteries has been bandied about, your solution may not be the best since runes and masteries don't necessarily match up 1:1 (if I have a jungle rune page, the masteries may not be appropriate for a spellcaster champ vs. someone like Garen who has *no* mana). It's got awareness at all levels of the company, though.
* Ability tooltip detail. I've been told this is a game design decision to mask these details. Personally I agree would love to see this info, but I am not a typical player and it may have negative overall implications.
* Store price/bundle stuff is definitely a business/marketing call, I trust they have a good rationale for what they're doing.
* Totally agree on seeing how many runes you have when buying, not sure what it would take to get this done.
* Quantity entry for runes. I don't think anyone here likes teasing the community with that, I hope to see it soon for my own selfish rune buying purposes!
* Store remembering where you were on a previous visit. Yes, do want, but out of my purview. Passed this feedback on to someone on the team.
* Primary/secondary display is a good suggestion, I'm not too familiar with the rune system yet though.
* Champion exclusive targeting. Would like to see this happen, not sure if those modifier keys are free for our use in that context. Also we would want to find some way to make it discoverable.
* Abilities in general are defined and tweaked by the game designers who make that champion. My impression is that these different aspects of the abilities are deliberate despite not providing the most efficient user experience.
* As an aside, flash is widely considered to be a pretty over powered/rage inducing ability! Not sure they'd be willing to make it even more effective. :-S
* Latency and other client/server stuff, I think there are problems with making the client authoritative in any decision making inside the game (e.g. because of hacking/cheating). Latency tolerance isn't something I can speak much about unfortunately, but it is a pretty tough problem to solve fairly for all players.
* Loading screen stuff. It's one of the first things I asked about when I started, but there are a whole bunch of legacy tech issues that need to be solved to make this happen. The front end client and the game itself are two separate programs as you may have noticed which makes the hand-off more difficult.
* Game design stuff is outside my realm of expertise

Hope that gives you a bit of a insight into the tradeoffs we're making. A lot of the really useful things you suggest, we're thinking of similar solutions. I've passed on some of the stuff I haven't heard talked about before. Can't promise if/when any of this will be fixed, but your feedback has not been lost in the ether!

Malurth

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-21-2011

Aww. I had a more concise post written up a few months ago in GD with a lot more replies and I never got a red response...

doomsphree01

03-21-2011

isnt this post abit long but never mind that, i agree with u but riot is spending too much time on making chars i think

IS186afbf367d955

03-22-2011

Having distinct healthbar for your character would be sweet too. I have more than 1500 games played and I still lost myself every ten games in a fight for a sec. I remembered when i started played lol it would happen almost every games..

There are some changes I don't agree though, like consistency for using Teemo's R and Kass' R. In my opinion they work this way to have the best user experience, and consistency is good if you don't pay too much user experience for that. If teemo's R were working like Kass' R or the opposite this would feel horrible in both cases.

SittyTuYeersOl

03-22-2011

lucky me im @ school and bored. gonna read the whole thing nao!

SittyTuYeersOl

03-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrataz View Post

*Terminology Definitions: What exactly is the difference between a "Stun" and "Suppress"? (According to research, Suppress stops some *but not all* of the escape abilities that get you out of a stun.
unlikely stuns, supression can be canceled by silence and interrupts

Quote:
*There should be a way to ping on the main screen, not just on the minimap,
i believe you can ping anywhere with alt+leftclick, not sure about the correct shortcut

Quote:
*Using most abilities shouldn't cause the character to stop moving! Even a quick cast ability like Kassadin's Teleport or Rammus' Defensive Ball Curl should cast and then *continue moving*.
some movement abilities do not stop you from moving (e.g. gragas bodyslam) but most do.
so i agree, movement abilities should not stop you from moving. especially blinks.

nice feedback, i wonder if riot is going to use this wisely

CrimOudin

03-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by SittyTuYeersOl View Post
i believe you can ping anywhere with alt+leftclick, not sure about the correct shortcut
i think he means to be able to see the actual ping mark on the ground not on the map

Scribix

03-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimOudin View Post
i think he means to be able to see the actual ping mark on the ground not on the map
Yeah. That's what I assumed too. Which would be very helpful in those pug games.

Realest

03-22-2011

+++++++++++++++++111