Jarvan IV guide, how to win!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zi0nized

03-19-2011

I initially stopped playing a couple of weeks ago and when I came back I decided to give this guy a go because he seemed somewhat popular but most people I have seen playing him did not achieve success.

What is Jarvan role on a team ?

In my opinion he is what I would call a ' melee suppressor with a few perks '. He has good defensive stats, he does decent damage and he has abilities that can make him change a teamfight very fast because of his reach / Ultimate. I'm sure you can build him tanky and have good amount of success but one of Jarvan's plus is that he can be build around supporting your allies and still be very viable, I will elaborate on that in my items list.

How should I level up Jarvan ?

I know the answer will be cliché, but it depends. I have tried laning with multiple heroes, and 1v2 , 1v1 top and I can say optimally, you want to be able to build :

E first.

Early game , E will be your main harass still. I see people building Q and I strongly disagree with it. Why ? It doesn't do that much damage first off. Also, you want to conserve mana early game so be able to do a strong burst with EQW combination and that requires a good chunk of mana so by harassing here and there with E, you garantee yourself that option.

Another reason why you want to level E up first is because it is much easier to harass with it because of the range, the ' last hit ' option on minions. Don't forget you are a melee hero so basically you CANNOT overextend without threatening your life in a 1v2 situation or a 1v1 against a ranged carry. You can peel off a carry's HP with E very easily.

As such the order should go something like :

E
Q
E
W
E
R

At this point it really depends about the flow of the game but my personal favorite is to build another Q, another W , then crank E to the max. After that, I usually level Q and W at the same rate with the obvious R when the level allows it.

What about summoner spells?

Exhaust and Flash.

Flash is the cornerstone of Jarvan's ganking ability.

You want to use it to get in burst range with EQ to trap someone and then use R.

You want to use it to get out of your R FAST to burst another opponent.

You want to use it to teleport over walls to get out of spicy situations.

Really, it's just versatile.

Exhaust is good because you can disable someone for a couple of seconds, and when you see my item build you will see why it's even better.

So what items now?!

You want to pick up a Cloth armor and 5 health potions at the beginning.

Makes you stay in lane for quite a while if you are not reckless with the pots.

Usually, by the time you used all of them you SHOULD have enough to buy a wriggle lantern . If you don't, buy Madred's and buy a pair of level 1 boots

After you complete Wriggle's, you should aim for Merc threads. As a melee character it is even more important to have the 35 % against CC.

Your next item on the list is Stark's Fervor. I usually go for the Recurve Bow first because the 40 % IAS will make you a very good addition for crushing the jungle on both sides and taking control of the map.

After Stark's is completed, go for Aegis of the Legion. This is pretty much the core build. Good statistics to kill, good survivability and jungle control.

As far as ' end of the game ' items are concerned , after Legion I will complete with a Bloodthirster so your DPS output will still be reliable alongside being able to tank 2 opponents because of the lifeleech... unless they can micro you around.

Last but not the least, Randuin's omen or Banshee's Veil depending on the composition of the opposing team.

Why no 'end item' on Jarvan early game ?

Simply said : Jarvan is not a carry.
He needs a strong early game to be reliable after the 50 minutes if the game extends. The longer the game takes, the less reliable Jarvan will be with my item build. That is why Wriggle's Lantern is so great. Believe me, you WANT a Lantern.

What do you think about jungling Jarvan ?

He is a decent pick, but there are much better and since his lane presence is strong, I strongly suggest you try laning with him.

Who do you think best complements Jarvan in lane?

Anyone that can stun or Taunt is best. Alongside Jarvan's semi-stun , anyone overextending will be punished almost immediately. After all, he still does a lot of damage with his combo / auto-attack.

Why should I even listen to your guide ?

Because if you want to flame me you have to know it if sucks or not.

If you guys think I forgot anything, by all means please mention it. I will add stuff as I get more experience with him. Any constructive criticisms is welcomed!

Zi0nized

03-20-2011

No feedback and 700 views ? :O

Munzta1

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-20-2011

why build stark?

chain vest + negatron cloak is better immo

Zi0nized

03-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munzta1 View Post
why build stark?

chain vest + negatron cloak is better immo
Because it provides not only you, but your whole team with stats that are very important for mid-game dominance.

Your goal is to hit as fast as possible with Lifeleach to off-tank their team and provide the bonuses to your carries as well.

If you premake with friends, you might want to replace it with Ghostblade, but that is VERY situational.

Go try it !

My opinion of Jarvan is not one of a tank. Ironically, whenever I played against enemy Jarvan's that went for tank builds, they would not do half as well as I would. I ended up tanking better than them.

Kroghar

03-20-2011

I dunno if I buy the Attack Speed - Lifeleach build on Jarvas. I'm sure it works, but I think building tank items would improve his survivability overall, especially against bursty AP champs. You don't build any health or MR/Armor items. Plus this is a pretty heavy investment to get to a build that actually does something.

Some champs like Irelia and Xin, it pays to go a build like this because their abilities directly synergize off of attack speed. Jarvan is more of an initiator with AoE knockup and his death circle. You want to be able to get in there and cause chaos and not die aferwards, rather than rely on hitting people to gain life.

Ghostblade is really all you need for AS when you get someone in your death circle. He can build pretty much straight tank otherwise and still wreck people. Of course this is dependent on your team comp, but I think I'd only go a build somewhat like yours if I had a primarily AD team and was facing an AD team, in which case I'd probably pick Malphite or Gragas or Blitz anyway.

Zi0nized

03-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroghar View Post
I dunno if I buy the Attack Speed - Lifeleach build on Jarvas. I'm sure it works, but I think building tank items would improve his survivability overall, especially against bursty AP champs. You don't build any health or MR/Armor items. Plus this is a pretty heavy investment to get to a build that actually does something.

Some champs like Irelia and Xin, it pays to go a build like this because their abilities directly synergize off of attack speed. Jarvan is more of an initiator with AoE knockup and his death circle. You want to be able to get in there and cause chaos and not die aferwards, rather than rely on hitting people to gain life.

Ghostblade is really all you need for AS when you get someone in your death circle. He can build pretty much straight tank otherwise and still wreck people. Of course this is dependent on your team comp, but I think I'd only go a build somewhat like yours if I had a primarily AD team and was facing an AD team, in which case I'd probably pick Malphite or Gragas or Blitz anyway.

Lantern has some Armor, and Aegis is the 3rd item on the list.

It provides you with about 150 armor and 110 MR mid-game, which is more than enough to survive with 1700-2000 Health.

Jarvan also rarely gets focused down and providing auras for your allies is always necessary at this point because people are beginning to work more and more together even in solo queue.

You should almost never be alone anyway because of your initiating / disrupting role, like you mentionned.

Tank Jarvan is really limited to 1 thing : initiating. The problem is, he doesn't have any sustained DPS and both his abilities synergize with AD. You need to profit from that, which is why Latern is a very good choice overall beause he can benefit ALL the stats.

Getting Stark's as 2nd item is debatable but it allows a good rush of kills / assists early-mid game. It also ensures you will keep up with everyone else gold-wise.

I could theoricize but really if you have any doubts you should try it like I said. ^^

Macka654

Recruiter

03-20-2011

Will test this one out! Thanks!

myassyourface

03-22-2011

I rush Warmogs then go merc treads then atma's. Depending on team composition, I then go for either randuins for melee heavy, or banshee's veil for magic resist. But if no one is presenting a huge threat I get Frozen mallot then go for either the randuins or the banshee's. Build is not indestructible tank build but with first three items give you plenty of survivability while providing around 180 damage as well. Mallot just adds to the pain.

Eczubus

03-22-2011

lantern
boots of swiftness
hexdrinker
phage
aegis
trinity force( or mallet if u really need the hp)
and sunfire cape for laughs
gg

Servantofthe99

03-23-2011

eh...lantern, merc treads, randuins, last whisper, frozen mallet, atmas, sell lantern for bloodthirster or banshees veil depending on situation...seems to work pretty well. i see him more AD rather than AS...his q reduces armor plus last whisper reduces armor and provides attack...that combines well with the knockup combo and plus he's got a great ratio on the q...with randuins and his combo its fairly easy to shut down squishy dps or just squishy in general.

tried madreds but he doesn't really have a good cc to allow him to stay close for long..like a silence or stun/suppression. expensive item but doesn't really allow him full advantage since you'll EQ>shield>ulti...plus his passive is a pseudo madreds anyways.

tried starks but again...no real benefit since it doesn't really take advantage of his q ratio

was thinking about trinity force but haven't tried yet...would like some input on this...maybe trinity force and then IE for crit jarvan? i dunno....someone let me know.

with this build he ends up being super beefy, excellent attack, excellent armor pen, reduced cc, great armor and magic resist, and the frozen mallet allows his q to slow...and its got quite a nice range (it does hit slightly more than animation i believe)

for some reason i level up q first then switch between w and e...his q's got around a 3s cd with just masteries and items alone...for a 1.1 bonus atk ratio, base damage of 270, good range, and frozen mallet proc...and armor reduction.