Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Project Shiny

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Extraxi

03-20-2011

Quote:
nvmvoidrays:
that'll never come out.

FOREVER ALONE.JPG

It'll come out after Duke Nukem Forever.

Jaawn

03-20-2011

Why don't you just pick a champion who looks good right now and includes the "crazy new stuff" mentioned, take a screenshot, and post it in this thread with a heavy "work in progress" disclaimer, etc... ?

No need for you to do a big release or whatever, just a screenshot to show some progress and the big release can happen later.

The point of teasers is to continue doing more of them that just show a glimpse up until you release a big announcement. If the first "tease" you give is happening more then a few months in advance...you need more teasers later.

Otherwise people just get antsy and frustrated and annoyed and impatient... since you showed them something cool...and then nothing else for a long, long time. It is such a simple fix to make and I've been saying this stuff for a long time and others have as well.

You guys really need a standard tease schedule for everything "teasable" that is based on your internal ETAs. For example, if X is intended to be released in 1 year, then 3 teases of X need to be planned for (1 every 3 months, then the pre-release fanfare and release). The teases can be as simple as screenshots of stuff in the dev environment (like the art spotlights being a recording of photoshop, for example...)

So...do better with that :-)

Another important note: when you tell us you have already DONE updates or there already ARE developments but then say we won't see them for months...it seems arbitrary since you guys are pretty open and could just take screenshots.

Beatus

03-20-2011

Quote:
Phreak:
Untrue. While I can't speak to the timeline of Shiny, we've typically teased things like Co-Op vs AI and Battle Training and such much less than 6 months in advance.

This is not a promise of an ETA at all, but I'm just saying that you can't really support that timeline.

I'm sorry, but you screwed up so many times already that your(Riot's) word simply cannot be trusted. And for Christ's sake, don't let Tryndamere post anything here or it'll just make things worse.
It'll be released Soon™, just like everything else.

MrChunkz

Recruiter

03-20-2011

I can't wait for the graphical overhaul. I'm actually more excited about that than anything else. Replays, observer mode, magma chamber, and new champions are all pretty meh to me compared to graphics (I'm that type of person). Thanks for announcing when we're gonna get more screens for the update.

embl3m

03-20-2011

Quote:
Tamat:
We've actually made some crazy advancements with this since the last time we released screenshots. We're probably going to be releasing some new assets to give you a glimpse of where it's at in the next month or two.

jesus tap dancing christ, what the hell are you guys doing? a complete re-haul of the graphics engine? From the looks of it you just added a new effect and higher res textures.

heyboyhey

03-20-2011

Quote:
Jaawn:
Why don't you just pick a champion who looks good right now and includes the "crazy new stuff" mentioned, take a screenshot, and post it in this thread with a heavy "work in progress" disclaimer, etc... ?

No need for you to do a big release or whatever, just a screenshot to show some progress and the big release can happen later.

The point of teasers is to continue doing more of them that just show a glimpse up until you release a big announcement. If the first "tease" you give is happening more then a few months in advance...you need more teasers later.

Otherwise people just get antsy and frustrated and annoyed and impatient... since you showed them something cool...and then nothing else for a long, long time. It is such a simple fix to make and I've been saying this stuff for a long time and others have as well.

You guys really need a standard tease schedule for everything "teasable" that is based on your internal ETAs. For example, if X is intended to be released in 1 year, then 3 teases of X need to be planned for (1 every 3 months, then the pre-release fanfare and release). The teases can be as simple as screenshots of stuff in the dev environment (like the art spotlights being a recording of photoshop, for example...)

So...do better with that :-)

Another important note: when you tell us you have already DONE updates or there already ARE developments but then say we won't see them for months...it seems arbitrary since you guys are pretty open and could just take screenshots.

I'd love this too, but after seeing how this community reacts after being teased I can understand that they hesitate. People just start screaming WHEN WHEN WHEN, even though there is no answer to give.

But yeah I love being teased too. Even when there is stuff I don't care much about I get excited because I am curious.

Bombasic

03-20-2011

Quote:
Tamat:
We've actually made some crazy advancements with this since the last time we released screenshots. We're probably going to be releasing some new assets to give you a glimpse of where it's at in the next month or two.

Soon™Soon™Soon™Soon™Soon™Soon™Soon™Soon™Soon™Soon™Soon™Soon™

Beatus

03-20-2011

Quote:
CrazyBones3:
Soon™Soon™Soon™Soon™Soon™Soon™Soon™Soon™Soon™Soon™Soon™Soon™

Unfortunately, I have to agree with the troll.

Ko Hakoo

03-20-2011

Quote:
Werewolf:
This is the reason Riot usually just reply with Soon instead of specific times, because people will complain about how long those times are.

What people need to understand is that Riot release alot of content frequently and little to none of that content is buggy or broken. I would rather content be release as reliable content and not full of bugs in which more time would need to be spent fixing those bugs and the community spamming twice as hard that the new contact is broken.

Good up the good work mates

While normally I would agree with this statement, I believe starting off by saying "Soon" is causing the people to complain when they get a better picture. To them this "Soon" was no where close to what they believed the word soon meant. If they had just come out and said, "months ahead, next year, after Season 2" they would have had an incredibly large window to hit expectations while helping people set expectations. We dont need a firm timeline to frame it in our mind, just something less arbitrary.

They say Soon to manage expectations. Unfortunately, people still make expectations with minimal information (How many people wanted to know how to log into tribunal the patch after announcement?). So, I really find this strategy to be ineffective.

Kamaro

03-20-2011

Quote:
Tamat:

Great, and by 2017 we can have a Sneak Peek!