Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[Guide] Maokai, the Twisted Treant

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Quenthal

03-18-2011

This is my solomid.net Maokai guide. It is helpful to Maokai players of any skill level.

http://www.solomid.net/guides.php?g=2484&c=237301310033436

It is geared to players that are interested in tanking with Maokai.

XTreeX

04-21-2011

hmm looks ok ill bump this cos it looks pretty good ~
supper happy fun time

Resilga

04-21-2011

How do you feel about jungle/roam Maokai? Seems pretty successful.

Quenthal

04-21-2011

Quote:
Resilga:
How do you feel about jungle/roam Maokai? Seems pretty successful.

I tryed stright jungle Mao a few times and wasnt as happy with the results compaired to other champions. His passive seems like it would be well suited but when it comes down to it it doesnt heal enough to keep you as safe as other champions due to his abilities being a mana sink.

I've heared some people say that you could rune page for it with a yellow/armor, quints/flat hp, blue/mp5 and i tryed that but i still felt gimped compaired to other better suited champions. Nunu comes to mind.

As for roamer Mao i cannot say out of experiance. In my oppinion just from theory crafting it may be possible, not competitive, but possible. He does not have the hard CC like Alistar or the dmg/speed of Eve but his W/Q would help to ensure some roaming kills. Again, i think he has some minor potential but there are enough other better options for roaming that they should be looked at first.

Is there anyone that has extensive jungle/roaming experiance on Maokai that can give us some solid input on this playstyle for him?

rumples

07-05-2011

It would be helpful if you put the actual stats on the runes, some people dont have the names memorized

Crede777

07-05-2011

I dunno if I would take flash over ghost. I play Maokai a good bit and find ghost is more versatile with him than flash. Flash is a good gap closer, as you mentioned as it allows you to jump someone with E -> flash -> W -> R -> Q -> R.

BUT you must be absolutely certain of yourself if you do that because there's no backing out once you initiate that. Your flash and Q are on cooldown. A CC could quickly turn the tide if you're only around level 6-12 and your lane partner isn't up to snuff.

I find that Twisted Advance's (W) range is good enough to not really require a flash. If I am chasing, ghost suffices to get me in range to W. Also it allows me to get back quickly, get to team fights quickly, etc.

Dunno, I've tried both on him and it's certainly debatable. I use flash on 99% of my champs, but like ghost on Maokai more.

----

Additionally, would like to add that Maokai is great in aiding farming of the carry he's laning with. Level 2 saplings do enough damage on caster minions so that a lane partner can quickly one-hit them.

Quenthal

07-16-2011

@rumples: I'm not sure what the exact numbers are on them, but I added what they do. They are either T1, or T3 when you have the IP. Dont buy T2, they are trash.

@Crede777: Yes I see that Ghost has its place. But in the case where your lane partner does know what he is doing I feel it is the better spell on him. It is deffinatly a matter of preference. I like the ability to instantly be ontop of someone if my TA is on CD if I need to stop a channel as well.