How to counter Ryze?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lorg711

03-16-2011

As Poppy how do I counter Ryze?

I find Ryze can do a lot of damage with his spells before I can get close enough to beat him.

wizdro

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-16-2011

Yes, he does.

Buy magic resist to the point where you can safely melee harass him.

If he is the shiny-new tank Ryze with armor and magic-defense, your pretty screwed.

Q->W->Q->E->Q->R->Q->W->Q->E->Q your dead.

Gang up on his ass.

SirCumference

03-16-2011

If you can't kill Ryze as Poppy you should probably uninstall. 1v1 Poppy can take anyone.

atsmith893

03-16-2011

I know your ult gives you extremely more damage to an enemy, but that won't help you if you can't get close to him. Run cleanse or ult someone else and focus him while he can't affect you. I dont really see any other options here...

Bithip

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-16-2011

SirCumference, poppy isn't the best 1v1 in the game, althought she is a great 1v1. Dont be an *** with him, he's just asking for help.

You should try with MR and pushing him into a wall. Try to ult a creep or anything else than Ryze.

lammatt

03-16-2011

If you can't counter a caster without a special utility as a bruiser, you better uninstall the game. You have a gap closer skill, and do you know there is an item called mercury thread and another called banshee veil?

atsmith893

03-16-2011

I don't think it's really fair to compare ryze to your average caster and make the assumption he is squishy. As an example Swain is a caster but I don't think you would classify him as a squishy champ. The 'new' ryze is tanky beyond belief and I can definitely undertand any champ even poppy struggling to close the distance between them and ryze.

Don't forget ryze stands behind his teammates not in front. So BV's probably wont even be up by the time poppy can use her ult, unless she uses it on someoen closer to the front. Merc treads are great but Ryze doesn't need a lot of time to burn you... Q-W-Q-E-Q can be used almost without any delay.

That sort of damage has a very technical term... its called "Rape" and by definition "Rape" is hard to take and rarely fun.

Long end game as Ryze you are looking at 3400+ hp, 5500+ mana, >110 armor and >80 mr. Even while building yourself tanky you are gaining huge damage from all the mana and your dmg is aoe.

Also telling people to uninstall is far from helpful, you can only get away with these unhelpful comments if you have cleverly snuck hilarious words such as 'come' into your name like little easter eggs. You can definitely NOT get away with this when you almost have the word 'lame' spelled out in your name, just as a hypothetical example if your name was 'lamematt' or something like that... purely hypothetical... I'm just saying...

SirCumference

03-16-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizdro View Post
Yes, he does.

Buy magic resist to the point where you can safely melee harass him.

If he is the shiny-new tank Ryze with armor and magic-defense, your pretty screwed.

Q->W->Q->E->Q->R->Q->W->Q->E->Q your dead.

Gang up on his ass.
I would reccomend you don't build MR and use one of the good poppy builds that can basically 1 shot someone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsmith893 View Post
I don't think it's really fair to compare ryze to your average caster and make the assumption he is squishy. As an example Swain is a caster but I don't think you would classify him as a squishy champ. The 'new' ryze is tanky beyond belief and I can definitely undertand any champ even poppy struggling to close the distance between them and ryze.
Your post that Ryze is tanky beyond belief is a huge oversatement. Also it wouldn't be too hard for Poppy to close the distance on Ryze especially with cleanse since Ryze only has 1 soft CC.

Quote:
Don't forget ryze stands behind his teammates not in front. So BV's probably wont even be up by the time poppy can use her ult, unless she uses it on someone closer to the front. Merc treads are great but Ryze doesn't need a lot of time to burn you... Q-W-Q-E-Q can be used almost without any delay.
Ryze's banshees veil will most likely be down from the poking stage espically since they upped the refresh time by 10 seconds now. If not you can have a teamate take it down. Also Ryze is not a burst caster. His initial rotation is not going to have as much burst as other characters his strength is that he can keep up his DPS not burst someone.

Quote:
Long end game as Ryze you are looking at 3400+ hp, 5500+ mana, >110 armor and >80 mr. Even while building yourself tanky you are gaining huge damage from all the mana and your dmg is aoe.
You tell me what items you are building to reach 3400+ hp AND 5500+ mana and I'll tell you it's ludicrous. Your armor and MR is almost correct but it should actually be a litter higher. I don't know why you are mentioning that Ryze's damage is aoe when we are talking about 1v1, if anything you should be arguing that Ryze gets spell vamp from ult.

Quote:
Also telling people to uninstall is far from helpful, you can only get away with these unhelpful comments if you have cleverly snuck hilarious words such as 'come' into your name like little easter eggs. You can definitely NOT get away with this when you almost have the word 'lame' spelled out in your name, just as a hypothetical example if your name was 'lamematt' or something like that... purely hypothetical... I'm just saying...
I think everyone knows that we don't mean to literally uninstall the game. It's meant to tell the poster that he is wayyy off the mark. It also helps bump the thread.

Lorg711

03-16-2011

Ryze is problematic to deal with because Rune Prison prevents Poppy from charging forward with the Heroic Charge and Devastating Blow combo.

It doesn't help at all if Ryze teammates also beats up Poppy as well with the process Ryze is zapping her with his magic as well.

Ryze is also not as squishy as people believes to be.

Unparallelogram

03-16-2011

Don't let Ryze hit and run you. In a sustained fight, you win. A good Ryze will not let you do that, however. He will poke you with QWQEQ whatever, and then back off before his root wears off. Try to position yourself so that either he can't hit you, or that if he does choose to hit you, you can hit him back.

But for the most part, Poppy isn't a good laner. Don't try to solo lane vs Ryze. It's gonna go downhill.