Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Is there a problem with Solo'ing another lane???

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BatesThaBeast

02-09-2010

ok so ive played roughly 100 games now, and i played a few dota matches a few years back, and NEVER have seen anything but mid get solod. Is there a reason for this strategy to NEVER be questioned? everytime i bring it up pregame everybody tells me its suicide and all this to solo the top or bot lanes.....like theyve tried 100s of times or something yet ive NEVER seen it done, or brought up except when i bring it up. I understand the bushes are null mid lane to some extent, but they can work to some champs advantage if done correctly.......I dunno i was just wondering whats the deal,Anybody have any thoughts?

Rhynocerous

02-10-2010

I solo side lanes when I want to try and get early double kills.
I'm new though so I'm not playing against great players.

Maybe it's because the highest level player will be the one closest to both sides too?

Noth

Recruiter

02-10-2010

It's easier to escape a gank in the mid lane. Also allows the mid player to gank both top and bottom lanes quicker than if you were soloing one of the other lanes.

rubb3r

02-10-2010

People solo side lanes all the time. When someone jungles, there's only 4 people to cover 3 lanes.

Also, the point of soloing is to exp faster, and minions make it to mid slightly faster than they do to the sides, and those few seconds that you get your ult earlier could make all the difference for a quick early game gank.

ctidesm

02-10-2010

Not as many heros who can handle a 2v1 lane here than in DotA cause summoner abilities make lvls 1-3 gay as ****; two summoners with abilities will make sure the 1 doesn't live. Plus no juking if you're in trouble, run control isn't the same as in DotA, and DotA doesn't have grass that let a hero run right next to you. Sure, you could back up, but how are you gonna farm the goldz.

Ofc, a roamer(eve might be the only one)/jungler(fiddle) could mitigate that, but the two are any good/not some ******ed low elo double melee carry lane combo they'll either get kills or deny xp/gold, a lot of it.

wildfire393

02-10-2010

Quote:
BatesThaBeast:
ok so ive played roughly 100 games now, and i played a few dota matches a few years back, and NEVER have seen anything but mid get solod. Is there a reason for this strategy to NEVER be questioned? everytime i bring it up pregame everybody tells me its suicide and all this to solo the top or bot lanes.....like theyve tried 100s of times or something yet ive NEVER seen it done, or brought up except when i bring it up. I understand the bushes are null mid lane to some extent, but they can work to some champs advantage if done correctly.......I dunno i was just wondering whats the deal,Anybody have any thoughts?

Advantages to Soloing Mid:
You know you're going up against another solo, meaning you won't get double-teamed and easily demolished
You level faster, making it easier to gank, and you are within ganking distance of two lanes, not just one
There are fewer and further away bushes, making it harder for the other team to gank you.
The lane is shorter, meaning if you harass better you can often take the opposing tower in the time it takes them to b and come back, and it is a lot easier to get back to your own tower if you are being harassed/ganked so you don't die.
You are close to both jungle buffs, making it relatively easy to grab them and get back to lane (whereas a bottom blue has trouble getting golem reliably, for example)

Simply put, at first level it is far too hard for a solo against two (top/bottom) to do much of anything but tower hug, as if you wander out into the lane you're liable to get sprung upon from the bushes and double teamed to death. Yes, you will level faster, but not if they keep you back behind the EXP line, and you won't be getting the gold of a solo if you can't stay near the creeps to last hit.

Slide

02-10-2010

Wow. Seems like a lot of people didnt actually read your question.

The reason that mid is normally the solo lane is twofold.

1) It is harder to gank mid. Brush is farther from the lane and the distance to your tower is shorter. This makes it FAR safer. Yes you could have people coming in from both sides, but more often then not, you have plenty of time to get back to your very close tower.

2) It is easier for the Solo in mid to gank the enemy team from mid. If you solo top or bot, you can basically only gank mid. The oposite lane is too far, takes too much time to get to and more often then not (unless you take a detour, making the trip even longer) youll run through the vision of the enemy team when passing through mid, which gives them warning.

So theres your answer. Its safer to solo mid and its easier for a solo mid to help out his teamates.

Eat dat chammich

02-10-2010

The way I see it is that it's all about safety. Its easier to escape ganks.

All the people saying that it is easier to gank top or bottom from mid are kind of arguing against only having one in mid. After all, its much easier to gank with two people than one. Or to leave one in the lane to hold/push while sending one to gank (this could also disguise the gank as a fountain trip).

If you have good communication and a character that can farm gold and experience in a safe way on the outside lanes it is often much more beneficial to have someone jungling or popping from lane to lane pushing the other team back and scoring kills. And as stated many times it is only possible to do that from the middle lane.

AIM7Sparrow

02-10-2010

Quote:
QUICKSLIDE:
Wow. Seems like a lot of people didnt actually read your question.

The reason that mid is normally the solo lane is twofold.

1) It is harder to gank mid. Brush is farther from the lane and the distance to your tower is shorter. This makes it FAR safer. Yes you could have people coming in from both sides, but more often then not, you have plenty of time to get back to your very close tower.

2) It is easier for the Solo in mid to gank the enemy team from mid. If you solo top or bot, you can basically only gank mid. The oposite lane is too far, takes too much time to get to and more often then not (unless you take a detour, making the trip even longer) youll run through the vision of the enemy team when passing through mid, which gives them warning.

So theres your answer. Its safer to solo mid and its easier for a solo mid to help out his teamates.

Part 1 well-explained. Part 2 raises a follow-up question which I'll try to answer with accuracy. (i.e. hopefully I'm not just making stuff up)

"It's easier for the solo in mid to gank the enemy team [in both top and bottom lanes] from mid."

OK, so, the question is, why can't you double up mid and have those two players ganking instead of just one? In other words, why does ganking fall primarily to the solo.

Answer: The solo should primarily be ganking because he levels up much faster and thus is stronger than his gankees and can ensure more kills than other allies attempting ganks on opponents of equal level.

That, along with mid being the safest lane, loops together the two-part answer of why middle lane solos.