Amumu, Super Jungle Tank Carry Ownage Time!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KPloggz

03-15-2011

6/30/2011 Edit: Changed some item build

The Champion
Amumu is a tank, however I have no idea why. He has 3 AOE skills which can deal heavy damage, as well as a stun (which can double as a nuke) that goes through walls.

Bandage Toss - Amumu tosses a sticky bandage at a target, stunning and damaging the target while he pulls himself to them.
Throws a bandage to target location. If it hits an enemy unit, Amumu will pull himself to the enemy, stun them, and deal 80/140/200/260/320 (+1) magic damage.

Despair - Overcome by anguish, nearby enemies lose a percentage of their maximum health each second.
Toggle: Nearby enemies take 8/12/16/20/24 magic damage plus 1.5/1.8/2.1/2.4/2.7 (+0.01)% of their maximum health each second.

Tantrum - Permanently reduces the physical damage Amumu would take. Amumu can unleash his rage, dealing damage to surrounding enemies. Each time Amumu is hit, the cooldown on tantrum is reduced by 0.5 seconds.
Passive: Amumu takes 2/4/6/8/10 reduced damage from physical attacks.
Active: Amumu deals 75/100/125/150/175 (+0.5) magic damage to surrounding units. Each time Amumu is hit, the cooldown on Tantrum is reduced by 0.5 seconds.

Curse of the Sad Mummy - Amumu entangles surrounding enemy units in bandages, damaging them and rendering them unable to attack or move.
Amumu entangles surrounding enemy units, dealing 150/250/350 (+1) magic damage and preventing attacks and movement for 2 seconds.

Cursed Touch - Amumu's attacks reduce the target's magic resistance by 15/25/35 for 4 seconds.
Amumu?€™s Q is a late game nuke/stun/initiate/chaser. Abuse it.
Amumu?€™s W is his main jungling damage. It allows you to kill blue at level 1.
Amumu?€™s E also greatly helps his jungle. Adds decent DPS to a team after a bandage toss
Amumu?€™s R wins teamfights. Use it to gank at level 6, but late game only use it to save teammates or get 2 or 3 snared; Also a great nuke.

Pre-Game
The most obvious pre-game is Runes and Masteries; however it is also important to collaborate with your team. Having teammates like Jarvan, Kennen, Nunu, Katarina or Fiddlesticks whose ultimates synergize well with yours can create aces. The longer they?€™re near you, the more damage they take (Jarvan?€™s case) and if they?€™re stuck near you (Kat?€™s case) they take a lot from your team.

Masteries:
1/19/10
Offense: Improved Smite - This is low priority, and if you?€™re not level 30, should be saved for last
Defense: 3 points into resistance, hardiness, harden skin, and ardor, with 4 points in veteran scars.
Utility: 3 points in perseverance, 1 point in improved ghost, 4 points in awareness, and 2 points in utility mastery
Get your utility masteries first, as you NEED the XP mastery to jungle and the improved buff time is VERY helpful, especially with how reliant Amumu is on the golem (blue) buff.
The earliest I was able to successfully jungle was level 26; I had completed the utility tree and defense tree (minus ardor). These masteries are chosen because:
1. It offers the needed defense, health, and XP boosts for jungling.
2. The extra buff length allows you to keep blue buff literally all game if they do not have a jungler.
3. The 3 points in ardor will synergize with AP late game and attack speed early game (stronger jungle).

Summoner Spells:
If you read my masteries, it?€™s obvious that I use Smite and Ghost. Smite is the obvious skill to be a stronger jungler, and ghost is an amazing chasing tool (especially combined with Bandage Toss).
Smite is non-negotiable, while if you?€™d like to replace ghost with teleport, clairvoyance, flash, or whatever else tickles your fancy, go ahead.

Runes:
9 x Flat Armor Seals (Yellows)
9 x Magic resist/lvl; I used to use mana regen/lvl before I got MR/lvl. (Blues)
9 x Flat Attack Speed Marks (Reds)
3 x ... anything, really. I run attack damage because it's my standard jungle page.

The Jungle
This jungle is a fairly standard route. You start at blue, go to wolves, wraiths, red, then double golem. At this point you?€™re level 4 and (after recall) ready to gank.
As I said, you start at blue. You should have cloth armor and 5 health potions to start. Your first skill should ALWAYS be your W. The % max hp/second is the only thing that allows Amumu jungle to even be possible, much less effective. If possible, have teammates watch your jungle before their minions spawn (not too much to ask; stay in brush until 1:50). Once all enemies are accounted for, or at 1:50 if you?€™re feeling lucky, run out of the brush to blue?€™s spawn. As soon as the golem spawns, start auto attacking it. Once your first attack hits, press W to turn Despair on. Leave this on until all 3 are dead. After it hits you once, pop your first health potion. This potion should run out just as you finish all 3. Smite once the golem hits 450-500.

You should now be level 2; put a point in your E, and make your way to the wolves. Pop your second health potion. Start attacking the big wolf, toggling your W on and using your E just after the first attack hits it. Hit the big wolf 2 or 3 times, using your E whenever ready, then start alternating between hitting all 3. This saves a second or 2 from your jungling time. Pop your third potion whenever your second one ends. You should be roughly (maybe a little under) half health while you run across mid lane to wraiths. Run into the center or them, hit the big one, toggle your W as usual, and use your E whenever available. Even though the big one looks like he?€™s getting low, if you stop attacking him, his lifesteal will greatly increase the time he stays alive. Keep attacking until they?€™re dead, and you should be using health potion #4 around this point.
The wraiths will give you level 3, and so put a second point in your W. Head to red; if your smite is above 10 seconds cooldown, wait until it reaches that point. Once the cooldown is at 10 seconds, start red the usual way; hit the lizard, toggle W, use E when available, rinse and repeat. Your 4th potion may end before you finish killing it; this is alright, just pop your 5th one. Once the lizard is around 475-525 hp, smite it. Run to the double golems, waiting a few seconds for health regeneration if necessary. You should be about half health before you start them. Hit one, W then E, then alternate between hitting the 2 golems, using E whenever available. This allows the ignite-like damage-over-time effect of red to hurt both golems. These 2 will take you to very low health, but should also give you level 4. Put your first point into bandage toss, then recall. At this point, you can shop, gank, continue jungle (your wolves will respawn by now, or you can take the enemy blue if no jungler).

For the rest of the laning phase, farm up! If there are easy gank targets, go for them; if your teammates in solo lanes need to recall, offer to cover their lane; if everything is going fine and dandy, keep jungling. The point is, ALWAYS be doing something. You should try your best to keep blue at all times. Nothing is worse than watching Anivia escape with 20 hp because you don?€™t have mana for bandage toss.
(Note: I know I did not include anything about dragon in here. I never like to take it alone as it makes you an easy target to be killed, so wait for teammates who can help and take it when it?€™s convenient.)

Skills
Skilling order is as follows:
WEWQWRWQWQRQQEEREE
An alternate order is:
WEWQWRWQWERQQQEREE
The only difference being levels 10 and 13, whereas I take bandage toss level 3 at level 10 (for reducing the cooldown), some may want to get level 2 tantrum at level 10. If you?€™d like to take a different order, you may, however levels 1-4 are pretty mandatory for effective jungle and gank.

Build
Cloth armor + 5 Health Pots for jungle; another option that works (and i highly advise against) is regrowth pendant + 1 health pot. You CAN clear the jungle, but you will be very low and if you get countered at all you're dead.
Level 1 boots (for better gank)
Philosopher's Stone
(If building Randuins) Heart of Gold
Mercury Treads/Boots of Swiftness (If swiftness, be SURE to upgrade Philo into Eleisa's for tenacity)

Depending on enemies:
Sunfire Cape
Force of Nature
Banshee's Veil
Randuin's Omen
Frozen Heart
Abyssal Scepter
Rylai's Crystal Scepter (if getting fed)

Ganking
Along with having the experience advantage of a solo lane champion, ganking is the other VERY strong reason all teams should have a jungler. Ganking is, similar to the word, ganging up on someone when they don't expect it. For example, let's say you have a Garen in your solo top lane. Ashe and Chogath think they're so ready for first blood. They're level 4, they're running forward for a rupture -> volley -> autoattack combo. They can towerdive and win. All of a sudden, you run out from the bush. You wait a split second to allow the enemy Ashe to see you, then bandage toss to the side of the enemy Ashe. She knows she can dodge your bandage toss, but you thought 1 step ahead. By placing it ahead of her, she's stunned. Chogath sees his squishy lane partner stunned, and decides to intervene. He places a rupture underneath you, then charges in. They commit; they're hitting you with everything they have. You're health is steadily dropping: full... 7/8... 3/4... but theirs is going down as well. Your despair is eating away at them, and your constant tantrum is hurting BOTH of them just as much as you're being hurt. All of a sudden, your Garen comes out of the brush. He spins right between them, scoring a cool double as you each escape with a quarter of your health left.

That sums up 30 seconds of a gank that went well, however this is not always the case. Sometimes one escapes. Sometimes they both escape. The point is: have your teammate ready. Make a note in chat, "coming to gank top"; ping your target; tell them you'll initiate; don't do it if they have 100 health, as your teammate will most likely try to save you and you'll feed a double. While you're in the brush waiting for the perfect chance to initiate, press tab. Check their summoner spells. If they have flash, chances are you won't kill them. However, ganking does NOT need to have a kill result to be successful. If you even send both enemy champions back to allow a push and an experience advantage, it is more than worth it. Also, be sure to not towerdive if you're level 4. Nothing is worse than feeding the enemy the kill of you and (at least) one of the people from the lane that followed you, as well as giving up your red and blue buff.

CroakerX

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-15-2011

I build him a lot like that. EVERY GAME is situational though with the build. Also, there are a lot of better marks available.

KPloggz

03-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroakerX View Post
I build him a lot like that. EVERY GAME is situational though with the build. Also, there are a lot of better marks available.
What do you use for marks? I mostly use the magic pen since I have a set of 9 from my mage rune page. The attack speed ones REALLY help jungle speed at the beginning, and coming out of the brush with a bandage toss at 5:30 can really set up your snowball.

KPloggz

03-17-2011

I just finished my first ranked game; I had first pick (and got to choose 2 of the bans) so luckily I got to be my beloved Amumu.

I jungled him, and I think the screenshot speaks for itself

Maxmatical

03-17-2011

Amumu has a pretty weak jungle in comparison to other Junglers. However, what makes Jungle amumu so awesome is the fact that he's the best tank/jungler in game.

Just saying title's a tad misleading, but I agree, Amumu's friggin awesome

Garvey

03-18-2011

I usually follow the same path except I do 9/0/21 and use MP reds...
I find for the little time you lose (I still clear blue and jungle quite easily) is more than worth it mid-late game.

btw anyone know if wrathfire bracer will ever make it to the game? I usually use Madreds bloodrazor with despair and sunfire cape... with that bracer amumu can deal HUGE amounts of % based damage...

KPloggz

03-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garvey View Post
I usually follow the same path except I do 9/0/21 and use MP reds...
I find for the little time you lose (I still clear blue and jungle quite easily) is more than worth it mid-late game.

btw anyone know if wrathfire bracer will ever make it to the game? I usually use Madreds bloodrazor with despair and sunfire cape... with that bracer amumu can deal HUGE amounts of % based damage...
Are you able to complete both double golems and red during your first go-round? Before I ran with my 4 attack speed reds, I was never able to do double golems before I went back; then again, using only 1 health quint could be the reason for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPower2009 View Post
Amumu has a pretty weak jungle in comparison to other Junglers. However, what makes Jungle amumu so awesome is the fact that he's the best tank/jungler in game.

Just saying title's a tad misleading, but I agree, Amumu's friggin awesome
What's so bad about his jungle? I find the %/second to be really powerful and the only thing that stops him from being arguably the best is his lack of lifesteal

KPloggz

03-21-2011

Edited first post to add a section about ganking. Will add another post when section about teamfights is up.

MrDrNiceGuy

06-27-2011

for Amumu i generally pick up a Philosopher's Stone early game. I find that the regen and gold per 5 is quite necessary. Sunfire cape is an amazing item on him, though is a little situational to how much more armor i need. I also feel Banshee's Veil is a strong item on him late game.

Hypa

07-14-2011

Great guide! It has helped me loads!