Pantheon - Heartseaker or spear shot first?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Voidgolem

02-10-2010

Spear shot for farming purposes. Heartseeker's impractical early game (IMO)

Aegis if you really, really want FB and have a lane buddy with a stun or slow.

Heartseeker's high cost (for Pantheon's tiny mana supply), and long cooldown makes it kinda 'meh'. Sure, it'll help. Just don't get it first.

Grim Moniker

02-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbsunny View Post
ROFL, how could you think Pantheon is mediocre, last game I carried my team to victory, going 22-5, with no one else on my team above a 1.5:1 kd.
Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal.

I've had games where I destroyed people with Warwick, it doesn't mean that he's a good champion.

Pantheon is firmly mid tier until they make his ult less worthless.

lobsterzilla

02-10-2010

if you're not a downie and have good communication (or have flash) his ulti is currently pretty **** devestating. It's going to be ****ing frightening when it gets buffed.

I'm not so sure it needs to be buffed that much.

Grim Moniker

02-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsterzilla View Post
if you're not a downie and have good communication (or have flash) his ulti is currently pretty **** devestating. It's going to be ****ing frightening when it gets buffed.

I'm not so sure it needs to be buffed that much.

Well, that's some hyperbole if I've ever heard it. It's situationally useful, at best. Combined with Gangplank it's decent, because you can essentially corral their entire team.

It's also useful for blocking escape lanes, protecting towers, and getting back to your lane quickly.

That's about the extent of its usefulness.

Fbsunny

02-10-2010

If by protecting towers you mean getting triple kills on enemies pushing a tower by yourself then sure, his ult is not at all useless, I tend to get 4-5 kills per game because of it. And my anecdotal evidence is more of a pattern then one fluke game I happened to do well.
My last few games as pantheon are
22-5 W
8-6 L
5-7 L
15-5W
7-3W
12-4W
8-3W

This was all on a lvl 30 account with almost 400 games played, so I'm not just rolling noobs. You can see that 1 game I had a k:d less then one, and that game I had started 5-1 but couldn't keep it up once the team fights started coming and their fed players could gank me.

Edit: Not saying I am good, I barely have a winning record overall, just saying that Pantheon is no where near UP.

Grim Moniker

02-10-2010

"It's not anecdotal! Here is more anecdotal evidence to prove it!"

I think you need to look that term up.

roninsm

02-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Moniker View Post
Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal.

I've had games where I destroyed people with Warwick, it doesn't mean that he's a good champion.

Pantheon is firmly mid tier until they make his ult less worthless.

Pantheon is bordelining OP, and his ult is far from worthless. Practice with him until you get a feel for how and when to use it. The key is having good minimap awareness.

The only thing that keeps him from being completely OP is the fact that he is incredibly item dependent, so if you don't farm well or get a couple of kills early you will have a lot of trouble later.

Once you get a BF sword however, stun->heartseeker can take any squishy down to less than half health, and finishing is easy (exhaust if you have to. rarely necessary). This is why heartseeker is better to max than spear shot. Spear is good for harrasing and farming, which can be done just as well with one level as with 4 (better in fact, bc it has less mana cost). Heartseeker is for getting kills.

Oh, and before anyone says I am just calling him OP because he destroyed me, I have been playing panth almost exclusively since he was introduced.

Fbsunny

02-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Moniker View Post
"It's not anecdotal! Here is more anecdotal evidence to prove it!"

I think you need to look that term up.
I did not say it wasn't anecdotal, what I said it was not a fluke that I did well with Pantheon. If you had attempted to comprehend my post maybe you would have understood that.

Rezoh

02-10-2010

I always go for spear shot first. It's great for level 1 harrasement and I get some kills with it. After that I pick one level of aegis and try to max heartseeker as fast as I can.
I'm very happy with Pantheon right now I found it difficult to play at first but I'm getting a lot better. The ultimate it's great but you have to be aware of one thing, sometimes it misses and sometimes it's god-like. Don't get frustrated if you missed the opportunity

Eredas

02-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbsunny View Post
I did not say it wasn't anecdotal, what I said it was not a fluke that I did well with Pantheon. If you had attempted to comprehend my post maybe you would have understood that.

1. Fbsunny ended up pwnzing my team the other night. In fact, I think my team was responsible for that 2x-5 game. Odd that I caught him here.

2. At what point does a small unofficial "research sample" leave the realm of "Anecdote?" Pool of multiple objective scores over a period of time is evidence, no matter what it "means." Just wanted to put that out there.

3. I always start with Spear Shot, then Aegis, then Max Heartseeker. Depending on the other team (runner skill), and how I am itemizing (if I can't get good AD), I sometimes get a second rank of Spear Shot early, for the early-mid game laning pressure it provides.