Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Rammus - Defensive Mastery & Runes & Early Mana issues

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

devotionx

02-09-2010

Right now im wondering how people rolling with rammus set their points.
i have bad times mana lacking during early game, but i really dont want to go straight up the utility tree or even buy a chalice.

right now im running flash&clarity to compensate the lack of mana a lil.
im running always mercurys, thats why cleanse isnt a must for me.

So some poeple recommend a mixed up Defense/Utility Tree.
Sounds nice, but im not sure if it would be better lategame to take the mana regen instead of 4%reduced damage.

What u think about it? How do you compensate the Mana Lack early game exactly?

Another thing is Dodge Runes.

A Rammus wants to reflect damge, doesnt he? thats why i never buy frozen heart or stuff that gimps the output in way.

I never go Ninja Tabi and Dodge Runes, althouth i pick the 2% from defensetree(cauz theres nothin better in that tier)

Anyone going dodge? then tell me why ^^

Nateku

02-09-2010

Well, I'm not so certain about the mana problems, I have those myself. xD

But I can shed a bit of light on the dodge rune thing. As far as I understand, when Rammus is using defensive curl, even if any enemy misses with the attack, they still take the X magic damage. It doesn't matter if the attack hits Rammus, only that it was made against him. So dodge is a good thing, though tabi+a few runes should be enough, no need for overkill.

ChasmGasm

02-09-2010

My Suggestions:

Masteries: 9/0/21
15% spellpen, 5% xp, 3% movespeed, 9% cooldown reduction, 15% summoner spells, and reduced time on flash (i always get flash)

Runes: Red, crit (i'm lazy, it works on everybody)
Yellow, clarity (mp5/lvl)
Blue, clarity (mp5/lvl)
quints 4%xp 1.5% movespeed

Items:
Dorans shield + hp
Boots of mobility
cloth armor or chain armor (whichever i can afford)
negatron cloak
whichever armor-> thornmail
negatron->banshee's veil
then if you're getting raped by casters i go force of nature, if it's still physical or a mix, i go guardian angel

6th item is a who cares cause you prolly wont get there, go lichbane for ap, fuggit

whys:

runes + masteries means you ignore mana regen items, I look at this as saving 1000g (give or take)

I think quints should be something that an item can't give you, ie xp and movespeed at start of game. same with masteries. I can buy 6 armor and 6 magic resist, it's not game changing.

Cleanse and flash are what i go, popping cleanse depends on what's happening though, if i popped curl before then it's not that big of a deal usually, if i didn't and i'm getting blown up but could get away, i blow it al cleanse flash powerball to safety)

boots of mobility are beautiful with powerball, just try it, its like teleport on a 12 second cooldown. and if you powerball out of the bushes at 1000ms they really dont get a whole lot of time to do much about you.

ChasmGasm

02-09-2010

Quote:
Nateku:
Well, I'm not so certain about the mana problems, I have those myself. xD

But I can shed a bit of light on the dodge rune thing. As far as I understand, when Rammus is using defensive curl, even if any enemy misses with the attack, they still take the X magic damage. It doesn't matter if the attack hits Rammus, only that it was made against him. So dodge is a good thing, though tabi+a few runes should be enough, no need for overkill.

no idea about that dodge thing, but instinct tells me that's wrong

but thornmail is ridonkulous, it reflects 25% damage that you would have taken BEFORE armor, and the 100 armor on thornmail cuts your incoming damage by 50% (lower with whatever else you have). Thornmail + curl lets you eat carries.

devotionx

02-09-2010

my problem is early gaming, of course tornmail, banshee, Goa as late items fit well and make u indestructable, but im facing mana issues before banshees, but i dont want to gimp rammus poor early game by buying some manastuff,

so im wondering if its that needed to go deep into defense, or if its more beneficial to get to greed and the manareg in utility tree.

if someone has a different build then Heart Of Gold and Mercury/Ninja Tabi before heading to Sunfirecape(following Banshee, goa, tornmail/force of nature) that solve the mana issues,

i would be glad to hear it. Maybe a PhiloStone? but then its the deal with the life and armor that HoC is giving and well, philo is not that gamechanging i suppose..

iRighti

02-09-2010

I just started playing rammus and by all means, not that great, still learning. I too have this thing call an mana issue, but refuse to gimp myself with mana items . So what I usually end up doing, I buy the boots of mobility and hit and run. What do you really do with rammus anyways? Charge in, get a kill, soak alot of damage, 5sec later fights over and all your mana gone, but also all your moves are on cool down. So, pop a tp back to fountain and powerball back to your team, thats like less than 10sec. Just my 2 cents.

Fylos

02-10-2010

I usually do quite well with chalice of harmony right after first bp back (after dorans+hp). Befor that you just have to kind of save mana as much as possible. Rammus hits quite hard (but slow) from the beginning on, so lasthitting is not much of a problem.

It is not only a great mana regen item, but the magic resist is essential to rammus. It helps you getting enough mana for taunt if you are oom which can make all the difference. Getting boots afterwards, ninja most of the time, with lots of casters its mercurys.

Afterwards I go sunfire cape for boosting armor+hp. Then you have a solid base of armor, dodge, mr, hp and mana regen while being a good hassle in teamfights after initiating. After that I choose further items depending on the enemy team... melee is thorns or sometimes wardens, caster is of course banshees, if its really mixed I sometimes go aegis of legion because the teambuff is really helpfull.

If a castercarry is really getting out of hand, I get banshees before sunfire, but it doesnt happen too often.

Guardian Angel is usually something I only get really late, because its really only worth it if its really hard to bring those additional 40% hp down.

Long story short: Chalice is amazing and I dont think it gimps rammus too much early because MR is much needed.

EDIT: Forgot to add, no points spend in utility aside from ghost, most up defensive.

Galersich

02-10-2010

I don't necessarily main Rammus or anything, but I figured out a good way to dodge mana issues without buying regen items. My suggestion is that you make Glacial Shroud a priority purchase and rush it if you can. The only problem is that it is rather expensive and the Sage Ring alone will set you back 975g. If you're not doing well as the early game unfolds, you're better off cutting your losses and getting mana elsewhere.

That said, if you can pick it up then you'll be in good shape. It comes with a nice chunk of mana, armor, and some cooldown reduction as well. This should give you enough mana to do everything you need if you are frugal with ability use. Another thing to keep in mind is that you're just better off grabbing the Chalice of Harmony if the enemy team has a lot of casters/AP champions.

When it comes to masteries, I generally go for the defensive tree and put the rest in the utility tree. Getting a headstart on Frozen Heart via Glacial Shroud can vastly improve your ability to soak up damage and peel foes off your allies.

devotionx

02-10-2010

well i figured out that a stupid normal Saphire makes it much easier, and ill build it towards BV anyways, so i start up with Saph, 2xhealpots
HoC
Mercury
Sunfire
Saph-> BV thats the deal, and at the cost of 400g solved manaproblemsis fine

BlueSquared

02-10-2010

I try to start with either a regrowth pendant (going Philosopher's Stone) or Meki Pendant/2 HP pots (chalice). Helps with the mana and harassment/magic resists (respectively). All depends on enemy team comp.