[Suggestion] SAVER System

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LeOKiN VII

03-14-2011

EDIT: (To site admins: I didn't know where to put this, because it concerns both in-game HUD and PvP)
__________________________________________________ _______________________________________________
I was thinking today, that the leaver-buster system is great and all, and has greatly helped in the quality of this game; however, there are still LEAVERS and AFKers. While I believe this problem can't be completely solved, I believe it can be countered by a system of SAVERs or kindhearted people who save games.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __
It's as simple as this:

"mrp00pyPantZ has left (dced) from the game"

All 4 players: "Oh gee there goes our game and an hour of our wasted time"

M0rPh3us: "Hold on let me see if I can get my friend to substitute for the leaver"

*typing through friend chat*

M0rPh3us: "Yo, Neo can you substitute?"
NeoTheOne: "Why?"
M0rPh3us: "We had a leaver"
M0rPh3us:" 'You already know the answer to this, Neo. ' "
M0rPh3us: "Because.... you're the one. >.>"
NeoTheOne: "LoL... I know right... ok ok "

*Super Awesome Arrival Sound and Cooler Than the DC/RC Banner, Banner*

"NeoTheOne has substituted for mrp00pyPantZ"

Other 3 team-mates: "Yays... we has been saved"

__________________________________________________ _______________________________________________

The friend would substitute and play the original character and setup left by the LEAVER/AFKer.

As far as exploits of the SAVER system:

== To keep the LEAVER/AFKer from exploiting the hard work of the SAVER: Allow a window of time for the original player who dced to come back. If he/she doesn't come back in that window of time he cannot rejoin.
(For most computers, rebooting shouldn't take more than 2 minutes and 30 seconds (if they had to reboot). Starting up the game and attempting to reconnect shouldn't take more than 30 seconds)

So, would 3 minutes be an unreasonable amount of time for the unintentional DCer? If they don't reconnect within that window of time they are marked as a LEAVER unless it is determined by the LoL program itself that the original user was DCed by unintentional means.

Auto-Kick the Substitution if the original comes back within the window. To prevent the auto-kick from ruining the team-fight, you could give a warning to the SAVER and other team members.

==Also to keep people from forming pre-made teams via substitution, you could put a cool-down on how often one can substitute for a game. Also you could track and place a CoolDown on the IP the substitution was made from as a preventative measure to stop people with multiple accounts from using the same computer.

==As an alternative counter-measure for pre-made team exploits:

Make a SAVERs Que, then the level matching system can be applied.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _

If you are interested in a system like this, please respond. If you don't like the system, please offer a suggestion for the part that you may think is flawed. If there is something that I have overlooked in theorizing the concept, please share.

@Riot: If this system is implemented, can I has job? =3

Turfnima

03-14-2011

what if the original 5 player all left one by one?
and then the team is going to make up by 5 substitutes with set ups they dont know >.<

I m just critique about this.

I like this suggestion anyway XD

LeOKiN VII

03-14-2011

Thanks for Critique, Turf .

To answer your question: I doubt that all 5 players are going to leave 1 by 1 just because they feel like it. Reason why I say this is that if LoL can detect whether the DC was unintentional or not, the Leaver buster system would still take effect. You wouldn't see premade teams of 5 grievers entering and leaving matches constantly.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________
Even still:

Any player with half a mind can realize what the previous person was going for on a setup, and/or what they were adapting to according to the enemy team. It'd also give players a chance to learn to play other characters they've never played with before, or they could get lucky and acquire a character they already know how to play. Players may find that they like to play a champion they don't have, and in turn buy that champion. The SAVERs system would demo locked characters. I'm no economic expert, but I'm willing to take an educated guess that it would boost RIOT's sales. Saver Cool Down would also prevent people from trying to repeatedly play characters they don't have.=3

==One could also program the substitution method to do a one-time-only: sell all the previous player's items for the same amount they where bought for so that the substitute can buy his/her own build with what money was obtained by the previous player in order to prevent a Leaver from screwing over the Saver; though, this may spark fairness issues.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________
OR

==The Saver Que could determine which summoners possess the AFK champion, and then choose from that pool who most closely matches the Leaver's account level. This will increase the chances of said substitute summoner being competent about said AFK champion. Personally I like this option better.

==Riot may or may not also add the one-time-resell only thingy to ^ option too.

Jesterboxx

03-14-2011

This might be better if you could, join a random game that's been missing a player for a long time, a HEFTY IP reward bonus should go to that player if they win, they should receive a small compensation if they lose.

KiaKun

03-15-2011

if a window of time is also in the factor there also needs to be some kind of +lvl for that time... being just 3 levels lower then some one makes a BIG difference.

xXIKillBob

03-15-2011

There are a few issues that I can already see with that idea though.

For window of time it would have be a little longer than 3 minutes.
I mean I can understand, my computer can boot up within 2 minutes maybe, but it takes time to actually log into my pc account (computer shared between sisters), then wait for the automatic background processes to start (like msn, updates, antivirus, etc). Not to mention loading the game launcher or even the match itself. It does take a bit longer than 3 minutes. Maybe 5 or 6 minutes. Again, this varies too much with different PCs, so it sounds a little bit unfair to me because it's being too specific. Easily debatable.

It probably isn't a great idea to have an AFKer (or DCer) to be substituted straight away. Say for example Karthus disconnected from the game, and was replaced by an Ashe. The enemy team probably spent early game building Banshee's Veil, and they never prepared themselves for an Ashe to enter the battle. It does sound annoying and if it was me on that enemy team, I would most likely rage. Playing a game to form strategies based around your opponents only to have your opponents switched out with a completely different champ -- imagine trying to be that flexible with your gameplay.

Let's not forget how many players will jump at this opportunity to abuse the system and intentionally disconnect, to bring in a "substitute" who can deal damage and use skills, then reconnect and get back into the game. It is very much like "champions for hire".
For example, if you have a team mate who just can't beat the enemy champions. Maybe the enemy champions are easily countering your team. So you have someone intentionally disconnect, maybe come back on a different account, get invited as a substitute, use a different champion who can't be countered as easily, and potentially win the game.

However, that can be fixed by a simple rule. Maybe the substitute has to be using the same champion as the Leaver. But if it is done this way; how would you be able to manage a champion you may have never played before? Maybe the Leaver was playing with a champ that he had personally bought, and now a substitute gets to try it for free? There's just so many complications with this, and it's a very hard decision between making them use the same champion, or making them choose their own.

If a substitute is brought into the game, how much money would they start with? 0? Starting with no money at all is severely unfair. There could be a system where the Inviter splits his money with the Substitute (think of it as a sacrifice for bringing in another summoner). It would even stop people from spamming the Substitute feature; because then you would only bring in a Substitute if you are willing to split your earnings and potentially slow down your own item build. Unless the Substitute really does start at 0 gold, which just means you have to farm minions and kills. Again, this system could be done in so many several ways. In so many several wrong ways.

Of course you could just do it the easy way and make it so that the item builds, levels, and money stays the same between the Leaver and the Substitute. Meaning that if the leaver left with 3 items and 500money, the substitute would start with the same 3 items and the same amount of money. But if this system is not being abused and it is being used honestly, it can still go wrong. The substitute could mess up the build and lose alot of money reselling and buying and selling some more. Then if the Leaver comes back into the game, he is stuck with this god awful build that he didn't want to play with.
Whether or not this will be a useful feature - for Custom, Matched, Ranked, or all three - is uncertain. If Riot really feels like experimenting with it, perhaps they can limit this to just Custom games.

So yeah. :x
I say this "saver" system can go wrong very quickly and it's a bit of a gamble in the wrong way. Sure your team-mates might be more than willing to gamble on bringing in someone to act as a 5th summoner, but it's just not fair to the person who got disconnected. I just wish maybe having an AFKer or a Leaver would mean a special advantage, like an all-round (but severely minor) buff to the team with less people.

LeOKiN VII

03-15-2011

That's a well thought out argument except for the fact that 3/4 of it was based on something I did not say.I never said they'd be able to CHOOSE their champion coming into the game. I just said they'd be able to try different champions based on what the leaver chose. OF course it would be unfair to bring in an entirely new champion *Facepalm*.

Granted grievers can still find their way in using the Saver Que.

Then place a Cool-Down on how many games you can substitute in a day and let one of the players from the game bring in a friend (Why would someone within the game bring in a griever? Unless that person inviting is also a griever. In any case it is better to take the risk of a substitute, because either way 4v5 or 5v5-2Grievers you're #@$@@ed).

So the substitution is coming into an foreign character build, well that's part of the challenge. You have know idea what you're getting yourself into.

Just think: what if you came into a game and turned the tide DESPITE being at a disadvantage?

Silvron Arcannas

03-16-2011

Being able to replace a dc'ed or afk player is a must. Have a 5 minute autokick timer for afkers. Ban them from reconnecting. Do not allow them to play another game until the last game they afk-autokicked out of is done. Set the timer for dc's between 5-10 mins. At 10 mins, if you cannot reconnect to the game, open it up for a substitute to play the champ that was already chosen and in-game from the dc'ed player. Give the substitute 1k gold to buy items with. (cuz lets face it, after 10 mins of inactivity, other players have made far more than 1k gold from minion and player kills.)

Kacnafein

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-17-2011

One flaw of this idea:

Who would like to join an already started game, instead of joining the queue on their own? Yeah, friend of one of the players might do it, but... if 2 friends are online, they're most likely just join the queue together anyway.

Silvron Arcannas

03-17-2011

Provide an incentive for players to join. Ip would probably be best.