LoL Chess: Part 1 - The Throwing

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Shallow Cubes

01-09-2013

Hi, all - I need some assistance figuring out the best way to approach a specific situation I just ran across in a game recently. I'll provide as much detail around the situation as possible, and staying within the confines of the situation, I'd like some advice on the best approach to take to win (or determine if we're already in checkmate, so to speak) given skill kits and builds.

=======

Game: Summoner's Rift
Time: Late / End game

Team One:
Sejuani - Jungle.
Lux - Mid.
Teemo - Top as AP.
Nidalee - Support.
Ezreal - ADC.

Team Two:
Darius - Jungle.
Katarina - Mid who switched to Top.
Singed - Top who switched to Mid.
Sona - Support.
Vayne - ADC.

Situation:
Early and mid game, it's pretty even. No lane really fed, with most deaths coming from mid-late game brawls and team fights. Now, it's late game, and just about everyone is fully built. Team One was winning team fights, but late game began turning around. When team fights begin, Sejuani or Singed engage. Singed dives straight for Ezreal and Lux with Darius close behind, forcing them back, while the rest of the team runs clean up crew. Teemo would remain with Sejuani and Nidalee during the fights to focus on Vayne, but Katarina, Vayne, and Darius would just chew them to bits.

So... How do you engage on Team Two as Team One? How should the flow of a team fight progress? Is there any hope for Team One late game against Team Two, or are we in checkmate?

And what can I do as the Ezreal on Team One? I'd like to chunk Vayne, but Sona and Darius did a great job guarding her while Singed would typically threaten me away.

My thoughts:
I spoke to my team about needing to keep Singed off of Lux and me so we could stick around and retarget, but apparently, no one listened. They were angry since we were seemingly hitting only singed, but I felt like there weren't a lot of other options to hit since Singed would typically chase us off (closely followed by Darius), and being the only enemy champ near us, threatening us, of course, we will at least hit the Singed. Decided to run Iceborn Gauntlet following mid-game as a result. Probably the only thing that saved me, numerous times.

Another part of the problem that I perceived was Sejuani using most of her CC to start the fight and not saving anything to keep Singed back. And, I realize that a Teemo trap might have worked nicely, but we just never engaged on a Teemo minefield.
=======

TL;DR - At least look at Team One and Team Two comps above, and then explain how to keep Singed and Darius off of your carries. Thank you!

unsticky

01-09-2013

IMHO your team doesn't have much in the way of CC, but you do have a LOT of poke and harass. In the situation you were in it might have been best to not force engages until after you significantly harassed and poked them. If Sej wasn't using her abilities on engaging she could easily have kept them from engaging on you.

ThePonsterMenis

01-09-2013

Like aboves comment. Other option is to split push teemo. You make it so much easier for the enemy to just flat out beat you when you do the typical 5v5 encounter. By forcing them to move you can open up chances at 4v5 minus singed, 1v1 teemo against anyone but singed, catching sona out warding as they move, etc.

morgate

01-09-2013

first i would suggest to fight inside jungle, warded if possible, tehn you as ezreal should wait for the fight to be already enganged and wait for the opportunity to get vayne from behind, as said above team one has a lot of poke so you should just try to lower their hp until you get on a good place to engage a fight wher your mobility as ez would give you advantage

Pobbes

01-09-2013

Poking and split push seem to be your best options. Sej should not have engaged, and your team should have fallen back while kiting singed and darius. Ideally, you would fall back to a turret, and then, Sej should engage. Your team had tons of mobility as well, so you should be able to run around split pushing while keeping holding them around turrets.

Another option if it was avilable was for teemo to stealth and set an ambush for sona or vayne so when sej initiated, teemo was already in the back. Wit their tanks, they wanted to move in a block, but if you could've flanked you may have been able to take a team fight.