How to Play Against Karthus

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Guolin

03-13-2011

No, I'm not saying Karthus is OP. No, I'm not trying to QQ about Karthus. I know for a fact that he is beatable, but I just don't know how. I've lost 2 games to him, both which I unsuccessfully laned against him (his Q harassed the heck out of me). I tried to warn my teammates about his ult when he hit level 6, but they died anyways. How do I prevent that?

Euphoras

03-13-2011

Stay out of the defile zone, dodge away from his Q (easy to dodge if you stay a bit away from the creep wave), and try to notice when he backs away to channel his ult. If he channels it near you you can stop him with any interrupt ability. He tends to be easy to kill, and VERY easy to gank because his escape mechanisms are non-existant.

His ult WILL get kills every game if the player is competent, the best thing you can do is just play a bit more cautious when the other team has Karthus and try not to let your health get desperately low.

Edit: Oh yea and MR like the person who posted after me said. Banshee's Veil is amazing against Karthus.

KillerMort

03-13-2011

1. find better team mates (always an option)
2. build MR- even if it doesn't go with your usual build this can save you from AP intensive champs like Karthus and Malzahar.
3.be constantly moving to positions in you lane when laning against him so it is more difficult for him to harass you.
IF i can do it as TF you can too

xpsychedelico

03-13-2011

Dodging his Q is important when laning against Karthus. Boots will greatly help as well, and make your movement unpredictable. If you always dodge right, he'll pick up to Q slightly to the right instead.

While MR is good, consider getting Banshee's Veil as it can block one negative spell every 30s, which means it can block his entire ult. You can also interrupt his ult if he is channeling with a stun, silence, knock up, knockback.

Guolin

03-13-2011

Thanks for the responses! I've tried to dodge his Q, but it can be hard when trying to last hit. Any tips there?

Also, the only two times I've played against Karthus were in solo queue, so I didn't really have a choice. I tried magic resist, but by that time our team was already roflstomped by an uber fed karthus (he got first blood and second blood on his first ult and a bunch of kills every ult).

Repugnant

03-13-2011

Soraka. Yes, the counter to Karthus costs 450 IP. Heal your team, spam Q. & save your global heal for when you see that little red line. He'll never get a kill from it.

Burbinator

03-13-2011

Its hard to counter karthus because it comes down to skill, really. If he's a better player than you, he WILL hit enough of his q's to make life very very painful for you.

Just one thing to remember: if you cancel his ult with a stun, i'm fairly certain it goes on cooldown and he's screwed. In lane, sometimes beating on him while he channels is better than running away. In teamfights, make sure whoever has a silence is targetting him with it constantly.

If you know you're midding vs karthus, not a bad idea to start with the MR cloak + hp pots, if you're going to upgrade for merc treads (or if you're a ranged carry, go for hexdrinker, also a good optoin against karthus).

Some champs I like vs karth:
Katarina. Her harass isn't terrible with bouncing blade, and you can output good dps with smart play. You definitely have to be more skilled than the karthus, but it's possible. Bouncing blade him whenever youcan, try to bait his wall and then shunpo as soon as he does so, force him to back off. His early game defile is really reallyweak and eats up TONS of mana when he probably has very little regeneration at this stage, so if you can force him to turn it on then that's good. Once you hit 6, assuming you havent gotten beat out of lane, you can easily outburst him. He's got no way of getting away from your ult or stopping it, either.

Ashe. She's long range enough that avoiding q should be no problem, if he ever tries to harass you can harass him back for more damage with volley + auto attacks. Once you hit 6, always keep an eye out. If he runs back, hawkshot to give yourself vision and if he starts ulting, just arrow him. Your arrow has a much lower cd than his ult and you just probbaly saved a teammate. Later on, in teamfights if you aren't initiating with your arrow you might as well save to blow up karthus whenever het ries to do anything. Sadly you can't stun him when he's in his passive, but if he ever tries to ult while alive you should NOT be letting him get it off.

There are probably more but i haven't tried them personally. Anyone with some sort of shield on demand is a good pick against karthus in general, not necessarily in 1v1 lane tho (janna, morgana, sivir, sion, zilean, karma(?), shen). Soraka is great too, a solo soraka vs karthus actually isn't that bad idea. her silence is surprisingly effective (instant, too) and her ult > karthus ult.

xpsychedelico

03-13-2011

To dodge his Q, you must pay attention to the ground a lot. Missing a few last hits is fine if you're taking too much damage. It deals double damage if it only hits one target, so you're better off hanging near the creeps. You can also hear the sound when he casts it, so look out for the red ball when you hear it.

Depending on who you're playing, if you can out-damage him early game while staying out of Defile's range, be more aggressive and he'll learn to back off and be contented with farming. If he focuses too much on hitting you, he's missing out on farming as well.

If you know he's trying to make you take damage while you're trying to last hit, move around more. Go to the side a little before moving in on a creep, rather than just walking straight up to it. Make your movement unpredictable, even when you're trying to last hit.

Goth Skunk

03-14-2011

I main Karthus, and yesterday I went up against a Kassadin that was giving me a hell of a time. He reached level 6 when I only managed to get to level 4 in the same amount of time.

As powerful as Karthus is, he's really squishy and has very poor health regen. A good Karthus will always take a couple health pots, but your best bet when laning him is to harass him with point-and-click talents that are guaranteed to hit. Every little bit helps, and if you can manage to get him down to half health, you'll be forcing his player to play conservatively. Playing aggressive pays off huge if you can dodge his Q.

Karthus is very mana hungry early game. His q is the most efficient way to last hit, but spamming it non-stop soon renders his mana pool dead, even with a meki pendant. Personally, I only use Q to last hit until I get a Tear of the Goddess, then I spam it like crazy.

Throwing down a wall of pain costs a huge chunk of mana. Early game, if Karthus throws down a wall of pain against you, it's either to try and kill you, or to get away from you.

Finally, Defile is a nasty spell if you get in close, but it too is very costly mana wise.

Carefully pay attention to Karthus' mana bar. If he hasn't got much to work with, he's easily dispatched.

GrandBreaker

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-14-2011

Dont. Stop. Moving. Ever. Karthus usually starts with a +7mp5 item but if you can, throw some pressure on him while not stopping moving. He can spam that bomb thing for a very extended period of time yes, but not forever.