Nocturne Build Theories

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Teridax

03-12-2011

^Title.

I've been thinking jungle Nocturne with 21/0/9 masteries with imp exhaust/smite. AS marks, Armor seals, MPen glyphs, dunno about the quints though, might just use flat health. Start with the standard cloth armor and health pots and build something like: Bloodrazor, Zerker greaves, Malady, Black Cleaver, BVeil, Hextech Gunblade. Of course this is almost total guesswork based on what we know about Nocturne so far, his ap ratios might make a hybrid build pretty worthless.

Some alternative thoughts/builds:

20/0/10 masteries to pick up both Neutral buff duration points
Another build mentioned here is replacing Malady or Cleaver with Nashor's Tooth for the CDR.

What are you guys thinking about Nocturne? This build has a decent amount of armor, and the BVeil+Nocturne's W should make him quite difficult to CC. Comments, concerns, suggestions?

NOTE: I know it's a little early to be thinking about all this; this is just for those guys out there who like trying to be ahead of the game.

thatsmyfetish

03-12-2011

A nashor's tooth looks viable. In a video on ign it shows phreak using the ult and it appears to have a 180second cooldown. The attack speed, ability power, and cdr seems like it might make a nice late game buy if the ratios are good enough for a hybrid build.

Teridax

03-12-2011

True, I considered Nashor's tooth as a possible replacement for Malady or Cleaver. I wasn't aware of the 3 minute cooldown on his ult though; that makes cdr suddenly very attractive. Also, I've heard that Havok in the Offensive tree only affects base damage of attacks and abilities, and it doesn't stack with AP/AD. I find that kind of hard to believe, but if it's true, a 20/0/10 build might be better so you can put both points into the neutral buff duration boosts.

Steve 1rwin

03-14-2011

Trinnnnnnnnittttttyyyyyy forrrrrrrrccccccccceeeeeee

Harbin

03-14-2011

You never, ever need nashor's tooth to complete your CDR.

Brilliance Elixer for 10% CDR
Roughly 15% from masteries/runes
Youmuu's 15%

40%

Jungling max CDR: (21/0/9)
Kindlegem/Spirit Visage: 10%
Youmuu's: 15%
Masteries: 3%
Brilliance Elixer: 10%
Alternatively, Boots of Lucidity (15%), another Brutalizer (10%), Randuin's (5%)

You waste the majority of the CDR, especially if picking up Blue Buff. You also waste the AP unless his AP ratios are great. Essentially, if you're keeping blue buff up, 3%+15%+25% at max level, that's max CDR and over a bit. Because you have the option to enter into a fight whenever you want due to paranoia, you can wait until their CCs are spent, and/or use your spellshield, which merits lucidity boots.

jorgensson

03-14-2011

If his ratios allow for a hybrid build, i'm liking an attack speed build. Early Rageblade anyone?

alazyburito

03-15-2011

Nocturne is a full AD champ besides his E witch comes off of AP

1ronLung

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

03-15-2011

the only ability that scales off AP is the fear. IDK the ratio but im sure it isnt great. all his other abilities scale off of AD. if you want CDR go for the ghostblade

Kumu

03-16-2011

I actually prefer laning with him and it works out really well. Not the best harass but if even a small opportunity opens to kill someone in a lane, you can bet he can do the job perfectly after level 2 and having Q and E. Max Q then E then W putting points into ult whenever possible ofcourse.

21/0/9 masteries
ArP Marks
Mp5/Lvl Seals
CDR Glyphs
ArP Quints

Zerk Boots -> Rush Brutalizer -> Best Friend Sword -> Starks -> Zeal -> Black Cleaver -> Ghostblade -> Phantom Dancer -> Infinity Edge

Starks can later be sold for a Bloodthirster if you're hurting and need some better life steal but not really necessary. Build heavy AS with AD as you can take it. Proc your passive as often as you can not only for the heal but minion clearing. I have only lost 1 game with this build and I played him all day. The 1 game I lost I went 16-7 and no one on my team got more than 2 kills. Even the enemy team said they were only scared of me and wouldn't initiate in a team fight if I was around.

Oh and if anyone hasn't told Shaco yet, tell him to move over. Best gank in the game just got a new name. Nocturne will make your heart skip a beat if you're low health and your screen goes dark.

EDIT: Okay so after a few more days of toying around with him, ive found that my build has changed since I can work better with him. Once ganking and using your Q in conjunction with your passive to wipe out minion waves comes easy to you try this out.

Start with Cloth Armor + Health/Mana Pots(I prefer mana for more harassing since your passive is plenty of heal)
Rush Wriggles -> Zerk Boots -> Infinity Edge -> Zeal -> Black Cleaver -> Frozen Mallet -> Finish Phantom Dancer

The Frozen Mallet can come a little earlier in the build if you are being focused a lot but I recommend going straight for IE and Zeal. Know when to get into fights, use your spell shield wisely! I cant stress how important that spell shield can be. Do NOT ult onto a gank unless the entire team is accounted for and you know for a fact you can shut them down. A lot of Nocturnes im seeing are ulting onto random people then crying that their team didn't follow them after they got counter ganked. Dont be afraid of a tank unless its late game with full builds, you can still chew through them pretty easily unless they have a decked build.

Cheers all! Hope this helps for what is slowly becoming my new favorite champion. Cant get enough of the playstyle. Also dont let anyone tell you hes a bad farmer. His farming ability is insane when you can line up a Q and hit the right minion to proc your passive on the entire batch.

joeinfro

03-16-2011

pfft those jungle nocturnes are so misguided. don't think of your ult as an initiator or your q as a regular attack. both of those are excellent finishers, and i cry whenever i hear of nocturnes flying into the middle of the enemy team then "wtfbbq where was my team".

my build focuses (21/9/0) more on amazing dmg and atkspd. having said this, exhaust and flash are your best friends in summoner spells, as both will let you keep your e on them just that one second more. plus, both are great "get out of jail free cards" that you can use to get out of a failed paranoia.

build goes as follows:
doran's shield (massive survivability, harass with your q!)
zerk boots (preferably all at once)
rush the heck out of zeal (atk spd+crit chance+movement? want!)
yoomu's ghostblade (brutalizer all at once then go back and finish off avarice if you couldn't buy the entire thing)
bloodthirster (low hp in a fight? say hi to some jungle creeps and you'll be good to go! PRIORITIZE VAMPIRE SCEPTER)

then its situational

buy warmogs if you're dying a heck of a lot
get madred's if you want to wreck tanks (or if you just want to laugh at them)
get infinity edge to insta win

EDIT: oh btw, won 5 out of my 6 games with him. the one game i lost, it was when i was placed with a feeder team. (