Kayle Tips?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Doktor42

03-12-2011

I've grown an interest in playing as Kayle, however I'm having a large amount of trouble in the early/mid game.

I'm not asking for last hitting tips, since I figure that'll just come with time, but I am asking:

What's Kayle's role in early/mid?

I tried going toe to toe with enemies, and generally my damage is too pathetic to actually hurt them, and I try staying back and healing allies, but the CD/mana issues make that difficult.

Once I get all the items I need the game shifts considerably and things become more easy, but how can I be useful while trying to farm for those items/is there a better item build to go for instead of rushing boots/rageblade/tooth?

Thanks for any help (Random Kayle tips that are unrelated to my question are welcome too) sorry if this post seems a bit ramble-ish.

fueled

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

03-12-2011

I have a buddy whom plays kayle on a daily basis. He plays her literally as a carry. He farms like one (last hitting when safe, using his poking skills (your flaming sword ability). Kayle can still support well with his build, but he can still put out enough damage to not be taken lightly. Shrug : /

Roswel

03-25-2011

Modify the kayle, the last ability seems to me has very little time q I would like to be lvl6 2.5seg q 4seg lvl11 and lvl 16 heal 5s q q the ap is 1 to 1 thanks

Judicate

03-25-2011

Kayle can be great early-game but you have to conserve your mana - that's her biggest weakness.

Your role is DPS/Support - you should be able to bring a lot of damage to specific targets in a fight, push minions out of lanes, and provide a powerful window of opportunity for other teammates (or yourself) with your Shield. While Kayle's got a healing spell, it's not efficient to "heal" until late game (read below for details).

General Tips:

1) Learn E first, then Q, then W. Max Q first, then W, then E.
You only need 1 rank of E to give you ranged attacks - the rest is gravy and can wait. Q is an amazing harassing tool - use it often! And remember that it slows the target and makes your attacks on the target deal more damage beyond just being a nuke.

2) W is not a heal.
That's right. W is a speed boost that happens to restore some hitpoints. If you cast W like a heal to top yourself off, you will spend the first 12 levels without mana. Save your juice for Q and E, and only use W if it will save your life or give you the extra speed you need to get your kill or escape.

3) Items
You really only need 3 items (besides boots) to make Kayle shine: Nashor's Tooth, Guinsoo's Rageblade, and Triforce. I like to start with a Mana Crystal and 2x Health Potions, build that into an early Sheen for super burst damage, and then go T1 boots, Tooth, T2 boots, Rageblade, and finally finish Trinity. By then the game's usually over.

With all those items, your attack speed is hovering around ~2.1, you deal extra damage and crit more often, your CDR is maxed if you run with CDR runes or utility masteries, and you have plenty of mana, AP, and Damage. W makes you fast, and Q makes your target slow - you're a machine!

4) The Shield is Offensive
New players often use your invulnerability shield to run away, and while that works, it's not the best use for it. The shield can be used to guarantee kills - that's an extra few seconds to finish slaying the carry (or helping your allies do it instead). Make sure you explain that the shield is there to buy you time to get kills and win the team fight, and only rarely is it there to help with the retreat.

5) Summoner Spells
I like to use Ignite and Teleport, because that gives me a little extra punch to secure kills and lets me "back" and return to the lane quickly if I need it in a rough early-game. Late-game, you can farm minions really quickly with E + autoattacks, so you can teleport to any tower you want to clear it and start pushing.

Hope that helps, and good luck!

Konaku

04-09-2011

The poster above is correct, i use Kayle almost exclusively and i find that she can work amazingly well for the moments you need a carry, she can also work well as support. Be warned however that juggling between properly supporting your team and pushing for a carry is not easy and this is one of the reasons why Kayle is so often overshadowed by others. However if you can pull it off she can be a great boon to her team.

Ikrit122

04-09-2011

I find that Kayle is more of a carry than anything else. She relies greatly on her items, with only decent attack speed and AP ratios. I find that Doran's Ring is the best starting item, as the Mana Regen, health, and AP are all things she needs to start. Despite her heal, she is easily harassed in lane, since the heal just sucks up mana and she is rather squishy, despite her "bruiser" classification by Riot.

Really, she's just a hybrid AP/AD/Support. I usually treat her as more of a support, running Clairvoyance. I build AP, with Nashor's Tooth, Rageblade, and then AP items. I find Trinity Force to be somewhat lackluster on her. The Sheen isn't so good, like it is on Poppy or Nasus, and the other stats are just general hybrid stats.

I used to main her, but lately she just loses out to other champs in more defined roles. She's too balanced...plus her ult isn't too effective, as the standard is that the team with the most CC will win (skill required, naturaly), and Kayle ult gets shut down by a Sion stun, for example.

Azaer

04-09-2011

Well, my advice is get both those attempts, slice them down the middle and smash them together. Kayle CAN carry, but god help you if you try and do it before your third item, so early game you are a support with damage tacked on, late game you are a carry with good support tacked on.

Also, when you get far enough in the game, and if you still are fascinated with Kayle, a runepage does wonders for her. Full tier 3 AS reds is a free dagger, flat AP glyphs is 10 AP off the bat, and you will need to grab some Mp5 yellows one way or another since they are so useful on a lot of champs. I usually grab a tome, and my damage output is insane early game.

For quints I hear a lot of different things, but I prefer MS.... Although full AP quints would be fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikrit122 View Post
I used to main her, but lately she just loses out to other champs in more defined roles. She's too balanced...plus her ult isn't too effective, as the standard is that the team with the most CC will win (skill required, naturaly), and Kayle ult gets shut down by a Sion stun, for example.
The tanky dps metas are her bane ;_;

Once they blow over though she usually gets some luck with the other metas.

Kuryaka

04-09-2011

Forget about healing - your heal is a "get out of death free" card, to be used only when necessary. Same with ulti.
I tower hug. Kayle relies on mana too much to get into a fight earlygame, and even with Clarity I barely managed to stay in lane. She has a pretty weak early game, so focus on getting last hits with E. Put a point in Q for utility and grabbing assists, but your early game is almost pure minion slaying.

Azaer

04-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuryaka View Post
Forget about healing - your heal is a "get out of death free" card, to be used only when necessary. Same with ulti.
I tower hug. Kayle relies on mana too much to get into a fight earlygame, and even with Clarity I barely managed to stay in lane. She has a pretty weak early game, so focus on getting last hits with E. Put a point in Q for utility and grabbing assists, but your early game is almost pure minion slaying.
I find clarity is best used by burning all your mana at level one going reckoning on the enemy laner's ass, then pop it when you reach low mana. Once I get on a steady schedule I usually have manageable laning phases.

AltairibnlLaahad

09-20-2012

I've grown an interest in playing Kayle too. Early game she should go top with your ADC. These are the abilities she should upgrade.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
q e w q q r q q e w r e e w w r e w
For runes you should get cooldown reduction, health per level and magic penetration (this is an AP Kayle. For Kayle's starting item you should get Doran's Ring, then Berserker's Greaves or Ionian Boots of Ludicity. I usually go for a quick Trinity Force and then a Nashor's Tooth. Then maybe go for another Trinity and then Deathfire Grasp. If the game is still going (which it probably wouldn't), you should then sell your Doran's Ring and get either a Rabadon's Deathcapor another Deathfire Grasp. For spells, I suggest
Ignite and Ghost (Agressive)
Ignite and Heal (Supportive)
Ignite and Empower (1v1ing)
Ignite and Exhaust (Supportive)
Smite and Exhaust (Jungling)
You should then be carrying your team and supporting them too.
I hope this has helped you,
AltairibnlLaahad

RADICAL