[GUIDE] Ryze at Mid-ELO

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ethernia

02-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samus Araan View Post
I respectfully disagree. 8 hp per level increase and a little extra starting hp is not enough to render survivability items moot IMO. However the increased attack range is AWESOME!

My first game with new beefy Ryze:
Question: Have you tried solo mid ryze?, i was put there for 2 games and the extra range really did make the difference, i dominated a karthus and a teemo and then went on to carry the teams to victory.

Those 2 games, the other team was complaining how OP ryze is now :/.

Samus Araan

02-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethernia View Post
Question: Have you tried solo mid ryze?, i was put there for 2 games and the extra range really did make the difference, i dominated a karthus and a teemo and then went on to carry the teams to victory.

Those 2 games, the other team was complaining how OP ryze is now :/.
The screenshot I posted two messages up I soloed mid. I normally prefer to lane with him, but he can easily solo mid, and as long as you gank at level 7 it is a viable strategy. The extra range on his attack now just makes it even easier.

Samus Araan

02-10-2010

Happy to report that Ryze is seeing a resurgence of popularity, and that my build is showing up every now and then. I just had a mirror match with a Ryze and went 14-0-9

Meta

02-11-2010

Quote:
I respectfully disagree. 8 hp per level increase and a little extra starting hp is not enough to render survivability items moot IMO. However the increased attack range is AWESOME!

My first game with new beefy Ryze:
Well, this patch did a few things:

• Gave Ryze the stability to solo mid VERY well. This means (since he levels faster) he doesn't need to go Catalyst first in order to live.
  • Gave Ryze some good static defenses, the main one being the ability to kite MUCH better. This also saves the defenses a lot.
  • Because of increased offense, I feel confident in being able to ditch ghost and itemize differently. Additionally, I can use flash much more offensively now.
So, here's what I go:

Ignite/Flash
10/7/13
(This allows you to get Archaeic Knowledge, Improved Ignite, Strength of Spirit, and Improved Flash)

Runes:
Magic Pen / Scaling MP5 / Static Cooldown Reduction / Static HP Quints

Item Build:

Doran's Ring + HP Pot
Boots 1
Soulstealer
Sorc Boots
Rod of Ages (Essentially this can be your "Banshee Veil" equivalent from before)
Archangels Staff OR Rylai's OR Void Staff (situational)

I've had a ton of success with this build so far. 6 wins, 3 losses. One of the losses was because my team basically fed while I went 6-0 (the only one on my team getting kills) and another loss was because we had a d/c off the bat, so it was a 4v5.

Also, my last game I was in, I was solo mid vs Cardmaster. If you haven't figured it out yet, Ryze DESTROYS cardmasters. I went 2-0 against him, then hopped top and got 2 more kills. Finished the game 8-1-12, and the opposing cardmaster was accusing me of hacking by the end of the game.

However, it was probably wrong of me to say your guide was "moot", since a lot of what I've done with my build now was taken from your guide, Strength of Spirit being the big one.

WolchBot

02-16-2010

First I would like to say I appreciate the depth in your guide. I was playing Ryze last night and really enjoying it so I will give your guide a try. I do have one question, which I think I know the answer to. Does the AoE from Desperate Power apply 65% of the damage before or after mitigation. I assume it is after meaning the AoE will do more damage total if you hit someone with less MR but I was wondering if anyone had a concrete answer.

nicosharp

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-16-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meta View Post
Ryze DESTROYS bad cardmasters.
Fixed for Meta. Cardmaster is still better and can farm on other ppl. If you do solo lane vs CM, you can outplay him, but he can still out farm you, and you will eventually have a item disparity. I've destroyed decent CMs in many games as Ryze. Good CM's however can still tear you apart. I like your mastery build, but I prefer to have ghost still, and don't typically need ignite for the kill. I may try it out though. I do the same general item build, sometimes ignoring early boots for an early soulstealer.

Samus Araan

02-16-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicosharp View Post
Fixed for Meta. Cardmaster is still better and can farm on other ppl. If you do solo lane vs CM, you can outplay him, but he can still out farm you, and you will eventually have a item disparity. I've destroyed decent CMs in many games as Ryze. Good CM's however can still tear you apart. I like your mastery build, but I prefer to have ghost still, and don't typically need ignite for the kill. I may try it out though. I do the same general item build, sometimes ignoring early boots for an early soulstealer.
CM is a million times better, no doubt, but 1v1 he dies FAST to Ryze with my build, or most builds for that matter.

I don't use ignite at all, and find that Ghost is far more necessary against good people. I have been experimenting with Doran's though because the early HP/AP is nice.

Expertise

02-16-2010

Quote:
CM is a million times better, no doubt, but 1v1 he dies FAST to Ryze with my build, or most builds for that matter.
One problem I find with Ryze is when playing with more experienced players, using him and ganking people becoming harder and harder. One reason why I don't like Ryze taking middle (even though he is a carry) is cause he can only run in and have no chasing skill, it's basically all or nothing. With CM, if he takes middle, I do find that Ryze 1v1 does destroy, but when running in 5 man gank squads and an experienced CM will and can gank any person he wants with the Destiny/Gold Card combo.

Samus Araan

02-16-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expertise View Post
One problem I find with Ryze is when playing with more experienced players, using him and ganking people becoming harder and harder. One reason why I don't like Ryze taking middle (even though he is a carry) is cause he can only run in and have no chasing skill, it's basically all or nothing. With CM, if he takes middle, I do find that Ryze 1v1 does destroy, but when running in 5 man gank squads and an experienced CM will and can gank any person he wants with the Destiny/Gold Card combo.
Yeah I try not to solo mid with him anymore, just because I feel he does better in a lane with a teammate, preferably one with a stun. In 5v5 CM is king, and no one can really deny that. However even a low HP Ryze can crush a CM in a 1v1 after the initial combat has split up. Last week a full HP CM warped in and gold carded me as I was running back to base and I killed him easily. Smart CM's generally don't mess with Ryze, especially ones packing Banshee's Veil.

Itches

02-17-2010

How are you finding Doran's Ring compared to Sapphire Crystal? The extra HP and mana regen seem nice but it seems like it would slow down your item progression by a decent amount since you can't build into a Catalyst (or anything) from Doran's Ring.

Is the 120 HP worth giving up 6 hp regen/5?