[GUIDE] Ryze at Mid-ELO

12345678 ... 13
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Meta

02-09-2010

EDIT: Nevermind, thanks

Samus Araan

02-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meta View Post
Cool guide Samus.

I tried Ryze shortly after the remake. I played a build maxing cooldown reduction first (usually entailed getting a Banshee Veil and Frozen Heart early for the survivability). I had a few good games, but most I felt pretty limited, so I kinda gave up on him. However, you've brought a lot of new ideas to the table which I haven't attempted yet, so I'll have to give it a go.

One question that it doesn't look like you really touched on. Ryze is a pretty poor last-hitter, which is part of what's so frustrating about playing him. Do you have the same problem when you play him, or have you found a more effective way to farm gold? Obviously if you're getting the early-game kills it's not as much of an issue, but that can't always be counted on.
Ryze has terrible last hitting, which is why I keep Overload at level 1 and generally do most of my farming with that. Who you are up against is of course a big issue, but most of the time I don't have a problem clearing some room for myself around the creeps. At level 4 you will have lvl 1 Overload, lvl 2 Prison and lvl 1 Spell Flux, and at that point I make my lane opponents realize that harassing me is a losing proposition. Ryze is great at playing mind games in lane, because after that first volley of W-E-Q most heroes learn that when Ryze moves forward, they should move back a bit. At that point farming is easier because they respect your burst potential, so you can lunge at them and then overload/last hit a ranged creep and then back up.

Your lane partner also plays a big part in this. If you have an Eve or Shaco or Blitz or (never happens but wow) Annie with you, then you are probably going to farm just fine
Anyone who isn't cautious around a Ryze/Blitz lane combo is going to be dead really fast. Strength of Spirit also allows you to take some heat in order to last hit creeps. It is perfectly acceptable to take an Ashe volley in exchange for a creep kill. Strength makes you able to take A LOT more harassment in lanes, which is why I said that once you use Strength of Spirit you will never be able to go back to 21-0-9 or 9-0-21. It is too ****ed useful!

Samus Araan

02-09-2010

Quote:
EDIT: Nevermind, thanks
Heh no problem. Will put my answer into the guide, so good question!

Meta

02-09-2010

Just tried this guide for the first time just now, and I think the screenshot should demonstrate the results:

Attachment 16111

Samus Araan

02-09-2010

Quote:
Just tried this guide for the first time just now, and I think the screenshot should demonstrate the results:

Attachment 16111
Lol awesome! Glad the guide is working out for ya

Here is my latest game, complete with my awful 21 wins over losses record! What can I say, I have noob friends who are awesome guys in Vent

Meta

02-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samus Araan View Post
Lol awesome! Glad the guide is working out for ya

Here is my latest game
Haha nice.

Now hurry up and delete your guide before everyone realizes how not-UP he is! :P

Samus Araan

02-09-2010

Quote:
Haha nice.

Now hurry up and delete your guide before everyone realizes how not-UP he is! :P
I honestly had misgivings about posting it because I don't want to popularize Ryze. I loved having the edge of most players not knowing how to deal with him because they haven't fought against him much, but I think it is time Ryze comes out of the closet and starts to rape en masse.

Skryner

02-09-2010

Quote:
Cool guide Samus. Ryze is a pretty poor last-hitter, which is part of what's so frustrating about playing him. Do you have the same problem when you play him, or have you found a more effective way to farm gold?
throwing out Spell Flux every once in awhile will usually score you last hit on one creep imediatley, then the rest have been ruduced to the point where a last hit is possible on most of them. Desperate Power and Spell Flux can net you 150g in one cast. Don't worry too much about cool-downs, your latent passive makes them much easier to deal with.

I'm going to make the shameless faux pa of plugging my own guide, but Ryze: A Compendium has more on useing Spell Flux to it's full potential.

(I put a link to Shammus's guide on my post, so it's all fair.)

Samus Araan

02-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skryner View Post
throwing out Spell Flux every once in awhile will usually score you last hit on one creep imediatley, then the rest have been ruduced to the point where a last hit is possible on most of them. Desperate Power and Spell Flux can net you 150g in one cast. Don't worry too much about cool-downs, your latent passive makes them much easier to deal with.

I'm going to make the shameless faux pa of plugging my own guide, but Ryze: A Compendium has more on useing Spell Flux to it's full potential.

(I put a link to Shammus's guide on my post, so it's all fair.)
Only farm with Flux if you are using a build that has mana regen. My build you can't afford to spam Flux (unless you have Golem), but you CAN spam Overload

Check out Skryner's guide for the classic "glass cannon" approach to Ryze. You will die A LOT more, but you will reach higher burst damage potential late game than with mine. Every now and then I go "glass cannon" when I know I am against a noob team because 900 AP Ryze literally can kill an entire team in under a second. Of course, a good team will not let that happen, but that is why my guide is for more advanced players who are facing stiffer competition.

Samus Araan

02-10-2010

Keep posting the screenshots guys

12345678 ... 13