To the tanks out there...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BleepinNBloopin

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-10-2011

I find it more often than not, that people will lock in with carries or assassins and I will play tank to fill the role (Cho'gath being my favorite).I don't mind this but what really gets me is that people will criticize me for being a tank and leaving a fight when my health gets low.

Also in a recent game, I chased a Garen thorugh my forest and was joined by an allied Akali. I gave up on the chase as it got too close to the river and we were down a lot at that point. Akali, however caught up and engaged Garen. I turn back to attempt to help but notice the other team coming and I leave. Akali dies and bashes me for being a tank and leaving.

So my question is when you tank, would you walk into a situation where you know the person you are trying to help will die and when you tank, do you tank to the death.

All answers are welcome, please share your experiences as well

Ichikaze

03-10-2011

I only provide enemy team with a kill if i know for certain that my team mate will survive and is aware that im going to sacrifice myself for him to get away.If you are in a premade and you are being chased along with a carry,in the best of the cases you shud try to slow down just enough for them to consider you easier to get and leave your teammate get away,in other hand if your teammate gets all greedy and tower dives that 250 HP vlad,well thats kinda his fault.Chogath is an amazing tank in that sense,cuz a well placed rupture can lead to an easy escape for you both.

ComradeHX

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-10-2011

Type B, ping once or twice.

If they blame you then tell them to look at chatlog.

ericpants

03-10-2011

In that situation I simply open a bottle of scotch and push side lanes the entire time while screen shotting the impending rage comments from akali to get that person banned.

Kuryaka

03-10-2011

I believe that if I can protect 2+ players at low health for any reason, I will do so. The champs I play are suited to this strategy - Kog with Void Ooze and suicide bomb, Amumu with AOE stun, and Kayle with Intervention.

However, if it's just one person outmatched (running from 2+ enemies at less than 1/2 HP) I not dive in and attempt a heroic rescue. Maybe throw some CC if I am confident I can escape as well.

To answer the original question, no. I would not help a doomed person and give the other team 2 kills. Rather, I would: -rightclick far away location- -type out explanation to prevent raging-

Rooke

Recruiter

03-10-2011

I mainly only tank for friends now for the sheer fact that im tired of hearing peoples' *****ing. Tanks always get blamed if stuff goes wrong; no one ever takes the fault for anything. Its part of being a tank I guess since i had to deal with the same thing in WoW for some time.

Also, early game i do not mind trading my life for a teammate's survival or a kill for the team, but late game im not so willing because tanks become very important for defending turrets late game, depending on who you are using. 1 carry + 1 tank is better for defending a push than 2 carries.

Shiromatsu

03-10-2011

When I play tank I usually do whatever I can to keep allies alive because even if I am dead they are still able to farm some minions or something and them farmed > me farmed. Of course I would prefer not to die but if it happens then it happens.

That situation with the Akali, you did the right thing. Chasing an enemy that far is stupid and will get you killed. As a general rule to myself I never chase past the river unless I know I can get back before the other team can react or they are all already dead.

Mysterage

03-10-2011

I'm 50/50. I play a LOT of tanks, but also a lot of support & carries. So I know how someone can get very greedy, and headstrong about going for a gank, or being stubborn and not going home when they should, or retreating. So half the time I'll do my best to save them, but the other half, if I recognize someone just being a straight dumbass, I'll walk off and let them die. The worst though, and I'd rather die 10 times than have to face this situation, is when you're tanking and you see your team running away...at FULL HEALTH! Aaaagh! What do you think I'm doing, morons? Baking brownies?!? Do I LOOK like Sinful Succulence Morgana?!?

bennyLoL

03-10-2011

In general, I don't tank for idiots, which is quite evident about 10 minutes into the game. Otherwise, it's worth it if they are the carry - however if their death has minimal impact on the current situation I don't do it. Basically it's a judgment call at any given moment, although I like to save people when I can.

Killlg

03-11-2011

I like to help people when I can. But if I'm in a team fight that's put be to low health and I have a chance to run and survive I will. It's just as important for you not to give them an extra kill and stay alive for your own sake as it is for others on your team. They should follow you out of the fight if they think they can't handle it without you. And it's by no means your job as a tank to tank an entire team with only 1 other teammate at your side. If your teammates are morons you should let them know. When you blue pill back to base and they're waiting to respawn there's plenty of time to explain to them how stupid they are.