Sorcerer's Boots vs Pure Movespeed on AP Heroes?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

godbuu

03-10-2011

As the title says, which do you prefer, the 20 magic pen or the extra boost of movement, either from the T3 boots or the T2-T5 mobility boots?

The AP heroes I tend to play are all incredibly slow and have no movement or escape abilities (aniva, veigar, etc), and half the time it seems like my biggest problem getting kills is just being close enough to the enemy to hit them with spells.

On the other hand, perhaps I'm just not close enough because I'm playing badly. Presumably I wouldn't need to be faster if I just anticipate movements better, both my team's and my enemies' and of course the whole point of an AP hero is to blow people up with spells and every item you buy should be aimed in that direction.

I suppose the main question is just exactly how effective is 20mpen? I'm sure it depends on exactly when you buy the item, presumably early game it's more effective when the average MR is pretty low, but how effective is that? Has anyone done the math on exactly how much extra damage you get and how much it matters?

kwjnfkjsdg

03-10-2011

SORCBOOTSSORCBOOTSSORCBOOTS.

20 magic pen is INVALUABLE early game. and will be your main source of magic pen until you get a void staff or abyssal. i'm not sure of the exact math, but to explicate the importance of magic pen...lets look at a scenario we all have experience with. with no MR, karthus can one-shot you with his 1000 AP ult. get a negatron cloak and suddenly his ult does barely more than 1/4th your health bar. mpen is crucial. all i know is, 100 magic resist will effectively cut your true damage in half, so you can do some proportion/ratio work with 30 magic res vs your 20 magic pen.

as a mage, you must stand BEHIND your tank. something is wrong if you're an anivia on the front lines. honestly an extra 20 movespeed won't do sht if an enemy olaf manages to get to you. boots 3 are only good for champs who need extra chasing speed , like ashe, singed, dps sion. if you want escape mechanism, get flash, or even ghost. i run at least one of these spells for EVERY champ i use.

Ichikaze

03-10-2011

Early game-wise,20(30 or a bit more with runes/quints) means you will do true dmg to non MR glyphs users.

ComradeHX

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-10-2011

Early game nobody has over 40mr without items if I remembered correctly.

20 is a lot early game, but loses its effectiveness later; so you can sell it after you get a void staff.

Also, you are supposed to be packing flash...etc. especially on annie and veigar.

malphismia

03-10-2011

Sorc boots dominate early game.

But movespeed is OP lategame. When all the outer towers are down, and you have a teamfight in jungle or mid, whoever runs faster will decide who gets to safety first or who dies.

Anhi

03-11-2011

MPen is so much harder to get vs the MS. A lot of spells give MS or auras but nearly nothing gives you mpen. Because its is harder to obtain its almost always the wiser choice. Try better positioning and using your allies BEFORE giving up the mpen.

HanzGruber

03-11-2011

Actually the better question might be the comparison or sorc boots to merc treads. Most carries will instantly melt if they eat a stun, making merc treads less effective than CDR boots or boots of swiftness.

Most burst champions, on the other hand, get a decent amount of health as a side benefit from their AP items. The extra half second or one second to get a stun in, or reposition, can mean the difference between life and death for them.

Nightdancer ND

03-11-2011

On certain campions like Ryze I choose the Ionian boots over mpen or movement speed.
With Ryze for example you want to do as much spells as possible during the time your ultimate is running.

For compensation I have movement speed Quints and mpen Marks.

Thinkdealer

03-11-2011

heehee veigar and anivia no escapes...

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-11-2011

The main problem is that magic penetration is hard to come by and typically comes with stuff you might not really want. You either get it early or get it much later on.

A typical nuke at level 9 does 300 damage...plus an ult makes for a nasty combo. You will have 10 mpen from runes, so they have 20 MR typically. That gives them 20/120 or 16.667% reduction. That means they take 50 less damage from that nuke.

With a .7 AP ratio, you could get a NLR for 1600 for +80 AP and this would make up the difference. OR... sorc boots for much cheaper will reduce them to 0% reduction.

Sorc boots as you can see are great early on and remain strong vs carries and those with 1 source of MR. For 750 gold you get 20 penetration and the boot upgrade.

Your options are:

Abyssal Scepter - 2650 gold(!), for 57 MR, 70AP, and the MPen aura. Reasonably cost effective but not so good for those with low AP ratios or really long range spells. Also puts a pretty big delay for many casters who want to get a Rod of Ages or Rylais ASAP for survivability.

Haunting Guise - 1500 gold for health, AP, magic penetration. Once again, a decent enough item. However, it doesnt further build into anything making it a relatively low value item later on. Same as before in that many will want to rush a Rod or a Catalyst, or simply something with some mana regen.