AD carries

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kharrne

03-10-2011

Am i the only one noticing how easy it is to shutdown AD carries? I stopped playing them altogether, because i feel like there is too many counters to me. First off, there is exhaust AND ignite, there are 2 summoners spells that counters an AD carry incredibly well. One slowing you and reducing your damage, and the other cutting your lifesteal (which is essential on every AD carry). There's dodge, which may seem insignificant, but can still make you miss some of the attacks that would otherwise grant you a kill. There is slow, which stops you from reaching your target. Also, there are many, many items which gives armor compared to MR items. Then there is also blind.

What is there to counter AP carries?... Banshee's veil, which works on AP carries as much as every other champs in the game. MR, which is very hard to stack. Silence, which also works as well as every other role in the game, since it cuts all of their abilities for a while. Not to mention most AP carries stay in the back of their team, while AD carries need to be right behind the tank.

Whenever i played an AD carry, like olaf,xin or ww, I'd end up building 1-2 ad items and everything else in tankish items, and cleanse more often than not. This would improve my survivability, but i would end up just being a soak, trying to endure the pain until my team kills them all.

I'm not here to QQ, simply to learn and understand. Is there something i'm missing?

djudjud14

03-10-2011

they're not exactly AD carries. they're more like off-tank DPS.
if you build pure AD on olaf or ww, then yeah you are missing something.
i always build tankwick on WW so i can jump in to their ranged AD/AP carry and mess them up without dying within 1 second.

when using melee champions (that are not AP champs), it's best that you build offense as well as defense because you need to be close to your opponents when attacking.

pure AD carries would be champions like ashe, MF, tristana, caitlyn, etc..

Kharrne

03-11-2011

My point is that AD carries are so vulnerable compared to AP carries, especially since they can be shutdown with summoner spells, meaning you dont have to change your build to counter them. Also, there are so many good AP items that also gives hp/armor/MR, that not that many ap carries are squishy anymore.

Monkey D ?uffy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-11-2011

i have no problem carrying with yi, if someone gets thornmail and im smart enough to notice, you can easily switch to AP during late game, as yi has no trouble making gold.

vVv Anaxamander

03-11-2011

AD carries need support from their team. Work on your positioning and when to use your summoner flash/ghost or whatever. AD carries are still an essential part of a balanced comp.

Izeo

03-12-2011

My related question is: Seems to me that AD carries (namely ranged ad carries) rely a lot more on their team to be able to function than do most others, and yet are supposed to be the top choice for "carry"ing your team (that is, you being able to turn a victory despite your team's mistakes) -- how do these two work together?

Seems to me if I shouldn't place faith in my team, I should be picking just about anything BUT a ranged ad carry. (ranged AP carries probably being the best at doing their job without relying on their team to do theirs)

djudjud14

03-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaxamander View Post
AD carries need support from their team. Work on your positioning and when to use your summoner flash/ghost or whatever. AD carries are still an essential part of a balanced comp.
i think the OP is focusing more on melee AD champs.
positioning is not really an issue anymore when you're melee.

@Uzeill: even ranged AP carries requires good positioning and support as well. AP champs such as annie is quite squishy. if her team is incapable of supporting her (aka keep the opponents off her), she would go down quite fast. even before casting all of her spells.

Shemsu Hor

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-12-2011

the main thing is AP items need to be nerfed to not have so much armor and magic res with such high amounts of AP. ad has a 30 damage 30 res hex and a 45 armor 2% health(maybe 50 damage) item...

zhonyas = 100ap 50 armor and an invulnerability
Abyssal = 70ap + 57 mr + 20 MR reduction to nearby helping the whole time
rylias= slows 500 hp 80 ap
RoA= 630 hp 725mp(which can turn into more ap with AA) and 80 ap

jusssst a lil one sided....
take away both ap&ad items that give mr armor or health... the game will be much more balanced

Maxmatical

03-12-2011

melee champs are pretty much useless when built purely AD, because the point of an AD carry is to not get hit wile doing massive damage. Melee dps will be some of the first ones to go down because they need to get inside enemy range to get their damage in. So always build some defensive items on melee chars, and even then, play like a stealthy assassin, you should be going on the offensive when the opponent team are low, not when they're at full health

Kharrne

03-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shemsu Hor View Post
the main thing is AP items need to be nerfed to not have so much armor and magic res with such high amounts of AP. ad has a 30 damage 30 res hex and a 45 armor 2% health(maybe 50 damage) item...

zhonyas = 100ap 50 armor and an invulnerability
Abyssal = 70ap + 57 mr + 20 MR reduction to nearby helping the whole time
rylias= slows 500 hp 80 ap
RoA= 630 hp 725mp(which can turn into more ap with AA) and 80 ap
I agree. AP carries are supposed to be the squishy ones, yet there's no ad/tankish items.
There are AP/armor items, AP/MR items, AP/hp items. AD has Atma's and Hexdrinker...That's about it. I personally never see anyone squishy in my ranked games. Except some ranged ad carries like Ashe. If my ap carry is going to be as tough as my ad melee one, why the hell would i go AD? Since there's so little MR items, even if everyone went AP with voidstaffs, they'd still do more dmg (Since there's nothing to really prevent their damage), wouldn't have to go melee, and would be as tough as the melee champs.

Of course i never tested this, but i have the feeling that a full AP team with a tank would be as strong as a well mixed comp.