AD (sorta) Nunu?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Something Snazzy

03-06-2011

I've been wanting to build a madreds/malady/attack speed focused guy for a while now. Jungle Nunu makes the most sense in this respect.

How viable do you think madreds, malady, wit's end and a tanky item would be on a jungle Nunu? Madreds would mean good early junglability. I'd also have a little armor and mr with these items. Afterward, I could get a warmong or banshee's or phage depending on what the other team is doing. Runes would probably be armor, magic pen and CDR. I can't decide on boots. I'm thinking either swiftness, sorc or maybe tabi or merc treads depending on the other team.

I would have rather low base damage and crit chance (I'd probably get 9/5/10, since I'm not level 30 yet) but I'd hit insanely fast and hit for 62 magic damage + 4% of their life per hit and reduce their mr 6 per hit while draining mana (probably only useful mid game or against a taric). I could still do okay damage with my ult and ice ball, particularly since I'll have CDR/magic pen. And I'll still do plain old physical damage. Healing/regen would come from consume.

I'd grab 2 points into consume for jungling, then go ult > attack speed buff > ice ball > consume.

Thoughts before I get home and try it out? I'm debating swapping out wit's end for an IE or something with AD... but it just seems so expensive when I want to focus magic damage anyway.

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-07-2011

The problem is that Nunu typically wants to tank due to his toughness. His spells also have really high AP ratios. Hence, many want to boost his AP. However, you can't do both effectively so you pick one or the other for the most part.

While boosting his autoattack is tempting, I just don't see a good way to fit it in. He needs to be tough enough to survive focus when he is Ulting, and AP works well with him.

Razor is not needed with Nunu. He already jungles very well due to his built in smite/heal.

I'd skip wits end. Its a good item but since you are already going bloodrazor that is all the damage you need. You will want merc treads and then 1 other source of MR. Id recommend a Negatron for later banshee.

So it would look like:

Merc Treads
Warmogs
Bloodrazor
Banshees Veil

I am trying to think if this would work better than doing the exact same thing with Xin. He already is built more for melee, so when you tank him up with a Warmogs, he'd probably do the job better.

GCqR5Uimh9I8RaTo

03-07-2011

Warmogs isn't that good of an item. It's even worse when you rush it, because you are gimping your early game (it is a very cost innefficient item, to make up for the fact that it is slot efficient). And combined with the fact that Nunu is a terrible farmer, Warmogs is pretty much the worst possible item for him.

As for attack speed build, well I really don't think it is viable on Nunu. He has no natural tankiness. Consume is hard to use in a team fight. He also doesn't have nearly the gap closing abilities of other melee who are viable with attack speed builds. Snowball is a great chasing and kiting tool but it doesn't keep you in melee range like for example Xin's pounce.

Nunu is best played as a mage tank jungler who is a great ganker, great counter jungler, has a great buff for your carry (blood boil) and can slow runners like a boss.

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-09-2011

FYI, Warmogs is a perfectly good item when used intelligently. There is a guide on this forum about it.

For a typical tanky build I would avoid Warmogs just because I have enough other items that boost health to compensate.

Sunfire cape is strong and helps the farming. Glacial armor adds CDR and mana pool. Banshee is very good for helping to get your ult done without being interrupted. Aegis is strong to help the team as well as yourself.

Most of these boost health, plus resists. However this leaves no room for AD at all.

-------

Therefore if you DID want to try an AD build, Id start with a Warmogs because it gives a giant chunk of health all with 1 slot. With a Banshee and Merc Treads thats about 110 MR, and a bloodrazor plus natural is 110 armor. This is enough to be pretty tanky without needing tons of items. You would upgrade to banshee later and just get the negatron early.

As stated though, he doesn't have much of a closing mechanism nor a damage booster. However he DOES have things that AD guys like: built in movespeed bonus (equal to a Phantom Dancer when maxed and better than zeal at rank1), and a built in Chaser with your spammable iceblast.
He also has a possible PERMANENT 65% AS booster which cannot be overlooked.

As far as farming goes, you are a fast jungler and thats where you'd get most of your gold just like other AD carries do, except you are better setup for it.

You are likely better off playing Xin, but I think the AD style is doable if not optimal.

Fearful Ferret

03-09-2011

If you want to do malady, wit's end, madred's, etc., then try out teemo. His attack speed scales well with level, he's ranged, he's fast, and his E gives you a free on-hit effect to proc with malady and friends.

Nunu can get good attack speed with blood boil, but he's usually better off as a tanky support who is excellent at jungle control. I'd much rather do a ranged character for AS.

Cenerae

03-09-2011

Problem with building Nunu with his autoattack in mind is that your teamfight contribution is still going to mostly consist of getting in a good position to ult. If you're super squishy due to having right click boosting items, that'll probably end up with you dead.

Not that you couldn't do it, I mean blood boil is a pretty good steroid and you can keep someone slowed nicely...but you'll still want to get some bulkiness before you worry about that.

kwjnfkjsdg

03-09-2011

tank nunu is fail.

if i see one more dimwitted kid say nunu's a tank i will shoot something. its like saying "omg malfite is totally a dps cuz he has high natural atak speed trolololol!!" also, warmog's sucks. don't ever get it. sunfire=banshee=randuin's>thornmail>manamune for akali>warmog's.

but anyways, AD Nunu is definitely powerful. i've used AD nunu quite a few times, and i can testify that he actually works.

Build:
don't get attack speed for Nunu. blood boil gives him 65% already. black cleaver+triforce will give you more than enough.
start out with cloth armor, then wriggles, then zerk boots. you should be ganking by now. grab a sheen, then BF sword, black cleaver, then triforce. then get banshee's veil, but if you really want more firepower ASAP, bloodthirster is fine, however, you should aim to get both anyways. also, mid-late game i suggest you switch to merc boots.
this should all land you at about 220 AD, 1.4 attack speed (about 1.8-9 with bloodboil), and almost 3k health. he has very high base health, so you don't have to rush survivability.

Playstyle
early game, you should play as more of a mage, a typical nunu, as your AD hasn't built up enough for you to assume the role of a DPS yet. this is why you get a sheen first.
mid-late game, you start to become more of a physical champ. triforce will hybrid-ize you a bit, which is good, since your skills scale very well with AP, but youre still a dps. unlike regular nunu, your ult is not your main focus, so banshee's isn't rushed.
basically, you enter a fight a little late, like any dps. ice ball their carry, attack w/ TF proc, BB, attack, attack, attack. you can also come in a little earlier (not initiate), and turn on your ult. it won't do too much damage, but the aoe slow is nice for your team.

so yeah, if u haven't noticed, i play AD nunu a lot lol. i'm a fan of unorthodox builds, and have come to master almost every viable one.

AP/tank nunu will forever and always be better, though.

Warrrrax

03-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwjnfkjsdg View Post
tank nunu is fail.
AP/tank nunu will forever and always be better, though.
Wait.. so um how are you supposed to play him then?

He can "tank" in that he can stand in front of the party, hoze the AS of the enemy carry, and then "taunt" bad guys when he does his ultimate. He isnt a true tank in that he has no real hard CC or knockup or any way to protect his own carry.

He cant really initiate very well. Flash->Ult just ensures that you will immediately get CCed and kind of wastes the ult. I guess one could consider that tanking in that you will pull their CC since with banshees they need to be sure to stop your ult.

RandomAlchemist

03-10-2011

going AD and AS with nunu isnt that good of an idea, going AP and armor is better for nunu